It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
(female)

Laura42 HB User
Unhappy Husband's in constant pain

My husband had back fusion surgery about 10 years ago. He's, been seeing his current PM for 2 years, with epidural injections and pain meds on a regular basis. Over the last month the pain has gotten unbearable. For some reason his PM wont move forward with the morphine pump as they discussed months ago. I'm thinking it's time to find a new doc, any suggentions for someone in the Tampa FL area?

Old 07-04-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: Husband's in constant pain

Laura-
Has your husband's pm doctor told him why he is not willing to move forward with the morphine pump? It seems strange that he would bring it up, and then not be willing to move forward with it. If he's not been totally open about why he isn't willing to allow what sounds like a much needed pain management change, then ask him point blank to explain it so you and your husband can understand where he is coming from. You have every right to know, and your husband has every right to know since he is living with such pain. With all the treatments out there, there is no reason for him to have to endure this pain and there is no reason that you should have to watch him suffer so.

If you can't get an acceptable answer, then my suggestion would be to search out lists of pm doctors in your area through your local hospitals, or speak with your primary care doctor. Many times, if you search on line for pm doctors in your area, it will give you the selection and will even list out their areas of specialty.

I am so sorry your husband is having to deal with such pain levels. I do hope someone here can give you some really sound advice. I wish you and your husband the best of luck in finding a pm doctor that will give your husband the help he needs and deserves.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2006, 08:07 AM   #3
(female)

Laura42 HB User

Thanks for the reassurance. The pm orginally brought the pump up a few months back, but has never given us a reason why he keeps putting it off. He just dances around the issue & to me that's unacceptable. I'll be checking with the local hospital for list of doctors, and hopefully we can get moving in the right direction.

I gave my husband the web address for this site. I know he'll get some good info. Thanks again.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
(female)

milimoki HB User

I go to a PM DR in Tampa Florida. I dont know if i am allowed to mention names???. So far hes just great. Only thing is, I was a little uncomfortable on how he seemed so eeager to hand out med's and up the dose so quick. Maybe its just me though, this is my first PM Dr. ever. Maybe most of them are easy and willing to hand you what you want. He pretty much said I want you to be almost zero pain and feel as comfortable as possible. I told him today I had a little trouble sleeping from the med's, and he handed me 120 xanax. Doesnt that seem unusual? Thats enough xanax to last me 6 mon. He also has a message therapist on site with realy cheap prices. 65 for 1 hour and 35 for half hour. He came out of retirement after being a MD for years and became a PM Dr after his daughter was in a car accident and found horrible pain management. His daughter works there as well so its a very laid back place, and he is very nice and laid back, not uptight at all. Like I said though, today when I saw him, I felt a tiny tiny bit uncomfortable about his perscribing so much med's. I also was ease dropping on the other people in the waiting room, and they were all on high levels of med's. This has to be normal though I am sure, I have only been seeing him for 6 weeks and this is my first Pm Dr. so I am a newbie about it all. Its Tampa Pain clinic Dr. VanDercar. If I broke the rule on putting his name I am sorry. Maybe you can try him. Good luck

Old 07-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

HI Milimoki, It does seem unusual to be given the strongest meds once reserved for cancer at the first visit, what else has been tried and what other non opiate methods have been tried. Once your dependent on hundredsd of mgs of any opiate per day , it's kind of hard to go back and think that yoga or self hypnosis that may have worked prior to becomeing dependent on opiates will even come close to the relief found in the bottle. Once the relief is found with such ease, it's hard to convince someone to spend 3 months learning bio feedback, or trying other methods that somehow managed everyones chronic pain right up untill 1996 and the invention of OxyContin.

Docs that pass out meds like candy , that don't have a specialty and haven't tried any other method than opiates won't be in practive long. They are perfect targets for the DEA's war on PM docs because they can't provide the documentation that other methods were tried and failed before someone had to use these meds to function. There are plenty of docs that make a living simply on their patients' dependence and demands for imediate and total relief. Keeping up with that relief gets tougher and tougher and requires greater and greater doses that start to effect hormonal, endocrine, mood, and brain chemistry. These meds are not benign and there is a huge price to pay. By the time you realize the price, getting off them is no easier than it is for an addict.
Good luck, Dave
BTW. Medtronics will give you a list of implant and management certified docs in your area, you just have to contact them and ask.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
(female)

milimoki HB User

Oh and by the way the Dr was anesthesiologist at tampa hospital and co -directer of their pain management program. He was a psychologist before he ever became a physian. Hes a board certified anesthesiologist with fellowships in pain management and behavioral medicine and biofeedback. Think I got it all. Does this all sound right for a pain DR??? shoreline and others?

Closed Thread