It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 07:41 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

gdspoiler HB User
Methylprednisolone ?

Anyone have that prescribed to them? Does it work?

I went to the ER last night and they gave me a shot of some pain killer and started me on this steriod for like 6 days.......

Old 07-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Re: Methylprednisolone ?

Hi GDSpoiler - all I know about this drug is that it can be used as a powerful anti-inflammatory. You don't mention what part of your body is hurting. Why they prescribed the drug for only 6 days is not clear to me. I know that when I had a severe allergic reaction to some medication back in the 90's, I was given this med for about a week to help with the swelling and itching of hives. Hope that helps. KathyMac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

gdspoiler HB User

Oh yeah sorry about that

I have L1, L2, L3, L4, and S1 disc bulging and I am going to the PM tomorrow

Yeah I do actually feel a difference in my back right now the swollen muscles are indeed going down.

Thanks, Mark

Old 07-06-2006, 09:11 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User

I recently was rx'd this med.
It was a 6 day dose pack where you take like 5 the first day then 4 the 2nd day etc.

i cant say it worked but it is commonly prescribed for flare ups and should not be taken often.
I also recieved a shot of Toradol which did help my lower back for the rest of that day

Old 07-06-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
(female)

countrykid HB User

I've been rx'd this twice in the last 8 months..I was given it for DeQuervains Tendonitis...didn't do anything for my pain and inflammation.....now I've had it several years ago for acute allergy attacks...actually the mosquitoes attacked me...it worked great for that....some people respond to the steriod for their inflamation and some don't...glad to hear your's is working..

Old 07-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User

countrykid,
i had DeQuervains Tendonitis many years ago and was given a cortizone shot that provided total relief.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I was prescribed this a few months ago to see if it would help with severe back pain (from stenosis, ruptured discs). I had already tried other anti-inflammatories so my doc said give this a try. Well for me, it worked GREAT the first 2 days, then my back pain started coming back again. And after 4 days, i started getting what felt like a lupus flare. The flare only lasted a few days though.

I think if i was on the high dose every day, it might have kept my back pain under control, but unfortunatley this cant be taken every day.

I also had the epidural injections. It worked good for my sciatica but for me, they wore off after one month. I hope you have longer pain relief from them? Let us know how it goes.

Closed Thread