It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

marksta HB User
How do you carry your meds?

I always lock my meds up in a special place and get just enough out for the day.I take them in an advil bottle.I've heard you can get arrested for carry prescriptions without a bottle with your name on it. What do y'all do?I'm not about to carry that many pills around with me all the time.
Bev

Old 07-06-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User
Re: How do you carry your meds?

I wouldn't worry about it.Like you said your only carrying a few pills and you can prove there your if you need to.....Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Marksta-
I've seen a suggestion on the boards before to ask the pharmacy to give you an extra bottle with the presription label and information on it so that you can take only the pills with you that you need to take and leave the others safely at home. I had never thought about that and thought it's a great idea.

Next time I need a refill, I'm going to ask the pharmacist to give me the extra bottle. I don't like carrying around all my medications either.

Lezlee

Last edited by ozzybug; 07-06-2006 at 05:53 PM.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

I have a little keychain with a little medal container.You can always save your old bottle,and put the new refill in the old bottle and put what you need for the day in the new one.Every pharmacy i ever been to,when they give you your meds,theres always an extra sticker inside the bag for each med.,in my case,i take oxycotin,and i put 3 in my container for that day,and i put the sticker in my wallet,it has the same label as the perscription bottle itself.You can get them little medal pill holders at the pharmacy.They are very convienent,water proof also.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Another great idea Madhatter. I've never thought of that one either. I always wondered what the extra stickers were for. I always just shove them in the shredder!

I can't believe the useful information I've learned, and keep learning here. I'm so glad I found these boards. Thanks for sharing!

Lezlee

Old 07-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

DogMom22 HB User

Recently I read on this board the advice about asking the pharmacist for an extra small empty bottle with a duplicate of my prescription on the front, explaining that I wanted to be able to carry small amounts with me and not the whole entire bottle as it is a large amount. I also explained that up to then how I keep my meds locked at home and each morning I take the days allotmnet out and put it in an empty tylenol bottle. The pharmacist was alarmed and said he would be happy to create me the little bottle with the label and he did. But he also told me that if I were caught with these pills on my persons without a bottle saying what the were and that they were prescribed to me it would be no different than buying them off the street. Then the pharmacist told me, that what was even worse than this was to have the wrong pills in the wrong bottle, or two different pills in the same bottle. She (the pharmacist) then told me that if I was driving and got pulled over and searched and they came across a situation like I just described I would end up in jail and while I probably could get it all sorted out bu proving I had a legal prescription and all, she said I would be arrested. Now I live in Virginia and this is what the pharmacist told me - I now go to a nice Mom and Pop place. I don't know if this is a law, or how true it is, but now I keep my days worth of narcotics in the small labeled bottle that was provided to me. What else I think is of interest is that my Pain Management doctor and my GP before him who also prescribed daily narcotics never told me this.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:59 AM   #7
(male)

Fibbles HB User

When I went to visit some friends and family in Oregon last year, I asked my PM to write me a note saying that I am prescribed Morphine and Percocet for pain with her signature and contact into and my name with contact info. That was just in case security was curious about anything, even though my name and info is on the actual bottle. I wanted it in addition to my card stating I have metalic implants.

I ended up not needing it, but a gaurd at the airport security station screening area commented that she appreciated my thoroughness because I showed her the note when the baggy with my prescriptions was taken through the inspection area.

I had her make copies and have gotten in the habit of always having one handy, just in case I might need it: I keep one in my wallet, one in my glove box etc. If I have to carry my meds with me, I take however many I need and place them in a weekly dispenser box.

Hopefully if I run into something, I can produce the note and hopefully not have any issues.

Old 07-07-2006, 07:06 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

marksta HB User

Great ideas!
Thanks Guys!

Old 07-07-2006, 07:55 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User

i carry my meds in a tiny pill box but i keep a recent copy of the labels in my wallet incase i have to prove they are rx'd to me.

I hate that the pharmacy gives you all the paperwork with
the meds and your adress on them.i always shred them,just to be safe.

if the wrong person found out where you live and that you have opiates in your home....

Old 07-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #10
(male)

BigDaveNy HB User

Here is a little tid bit of info for those of you carrying your meds through airport checkpoints.
The TSA screeners are not allowed to touch your meds or even ask you what they are. etc. They will in fact report you to law enforcement of you have them packaged suspicously though. (i.e. in a plastic baggy or hidden in your luggage lining or somewhere like that)

We still do have a little privacy while flying. But at no time should an airport screener be questioning you about your prescriptions, Dumping out your meds or anything like that.

just something to remember

Old 07-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dave-
This is yet another piece of information I didn't know. I do carry my medications in the bottle in which they came when flying anywhere. I just take enough plus a few extra just in case (you never know what will happen) and leave the rest in a private/locked area at home. I always keep them in my carry on too. I've never once left them in my checked bag because for some reason, my luggage ALWAYS gets inspected and I find that green note inside saying my bag was thoroughly screened, but care was taken to place my belongings back neatly (that's a laugh- one time they broke my makeup holder and opened a sealed shampoo bottle and it ruined everything). I don't understand that because I leave my bags unlocked!

Back on subject- thanks for the information. I would have never known my rights about that if one of the screeners were to flag & question me about my medications. I would have thought they had the authority to question, go through them and even confiscate them if they deemed it neccessary. Wow- still learning new things...

Thanks Again!
Lezlee

Last edited by ozzybug; 07-07-2006 at 01:08 PM.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #12
(male)

BigDaveNy HB User

yea ozzy
Most of the flying public doesn't realize it but those screeners are looking for dangerous weapons,explosives and or the lady that has way too much aqua net hair spray in her bag etc. with many tools at their disposal to catch people trying to bring such items on board. but... The screeners have no law enforcement powers or power to arrest. They do have the power to call the airport police on anything they think is suspicous though.

You should never find one of the screeners asking you specifically about your meds or pouring them out, handling them or anything like that. If you want, you can also request that they dont touch your medications and if they want to see inside the bottles, you can be the one to open them for them and show them the inside of the bottles. If you ever run into trouble, just ask for a supervisor. And like we all know, Never ever check your meds in your checked luggage.

As for international travel and going through customs, thats a whole different story and you better have all your meds in the appropriate containers with your name on them. Just ask Rush Limbaugh on that one.

Last edited by BigDaveNy; 07-07-2006 at 04:56 PM.

Old 07-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

mergatroy HB User

I travel in my RV now. No more flying, so my only concern is leaving the RV while I go into town, etc. I bought a small safe and leave the meds in the safe.

If you are traveling and need a Class II prescription, it is VERY difficult to get them filled. I have a prescription in a Calif. Walgreens, but a Walgreens in Washington would not fill it. Calif. said they would, but the pharmacist up there said no. I asked her if I had the original prescription with me, would she fill it? She said not unless the dr. was a washington doctor too.

So be VERY careful with your drugs for one more reason. Replacing them when out of state is almost impossible.

AND remember, we not only need our meds for pain...but if we are off of them very long we may hit withdrawals. For me it is less than a day.

Life gets complicated. Go to the ER is about my only option. So carrying them is important, but what if your luggage disappeared on a flight? Or you get in a wreck going to work? If you are close enough to get home that is fine, but if you are on a commute train into a major city, etc. it could be a problem. No easy answers for us.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

We have made three trips in the last several months cross country. Every time we go through the screening my purse has beeped. Twice for lighters and once they checked out my long nail file.I keep all my meds in a plastic bag in their bottles on my carryon but I also have several different meds in one bottle in my purse.Coming home on this last trip they had to check my purse again (forgot a lighter) and she pulled out the bottle with pills and the lid came off and they went flying all in the tray. She didn't say a word and put them all back in the bottle.All I was thinking was thank God I had my pill bottles in my carry on. BTW thanks to all the checks on my purse I have the neatest purse ever.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:31 PM   #15
(male)

jesses5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksta
I always lock my meds up in a special place and get just enough out for the day.I take them in an advil bottle.I've heard you can get arrested for carry prescriptions without a bottle with your name on it. What do y'all do?I'm not about to carry that many pills around with me all the time.
Bev
I recently had to fly from California to Connecticut. I called the airline and asked how I should carry my medicine, they said that I can carry it in any pillholder medicine case, it does not have to be in it's original bottle. They said I didn't not need to have any proof that it's mine. So that's exactly what I did and I didn't have any problems.

If I was stopped and challanged, I have many ways to prove that the medicine is mine, such as calling my 24 hour pharmacy, or calling the department of justice (DEA) which keeps a record of all medications dispensed to patients.

1) Firesafe. If my medicine's are stolen or damaged, they can not be replaced, no matter what. I go through great pains to make sure nothing happens. I've read stories of people having their medicine stolen and never getting it replaced. I've read stories of people accidentally spilling their medicine into the toilet, and so on. All of my medicine, and all written prescriptions that I haven't filled, are kept in a fire safe that is too heavy to move.

2) Pillcase. I have a round pillcase that holds exactly one week's worth of medicine, as well as a variety of pills for breakthrough pain, about 3 doses of each.

3) Spares. I keep two small viles of spare pills for daily medicine, breakthrough medicine, and all other types of medicine I have, two doses of each. One goes in my car in a safe place, and the other goes in my wife's pocketbook incase I'm with her and I forgot to bring my medicines.

All of these containers carry only a few doses of medicine. I could theoretically have all my pill containers stolen and still have enough reserve in my firesafe to last me until I can get refills.

Remember it is your responsibility to make sure you have an adequate supply of medicine and to make sure the medicine doesn't get stolen. If something happens, your doctor can't do anything and the pharmacy certainly won't do anything for you.

Closed Thread