It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
(female)

kaschwarz HB User
Re: IDET - I am a possible canidate for this...

tahoma4
Well, I don't know if I should thank you for this information, or sit down and cry. I am new to this board, just signed up today. I was at the ortho yesterday, since I had found something on "band-aid surgery" done in Florida. I am in Chicago. I showed my ortho what I found, and he said I don't qualify. But, that I could do the IDET and gave me a referral to see another doctor about it. I was on my way out the door to fax my mri to him, when my husband told me to look for other people that have had it done. Now I don't know what to do. I have bulging of L4, L-5 and L-5 S-1. I also have disc fissure. I have been in pain for years, and have had two series of the epidural injections. I have my own pharmacy of pain pills. My ortho did say that if this didn't work, I would need the disc replacement.
So, now I am not sure what I should do...
Kris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

charliecat31 HB User

Hi! I'm usually on the back pain board, but came over here looking for something and saw your post and wanted to tell you about my experience with IDET.

I had IDET done on two levels a few years ago - both failed. Acutally I am in more pain than before I had it done. I have DDD (at the time in 2 discs) with a positive discogram. I was under sedation (twighlight) and don't remember a thing. I was scheduled to have both discs done at the same time, but my doctor said he didn't have the heart to continue with the second because I was crying so bad from the pain. We scheduled the second level and I had the same sedation, but this time I remember everything that happened. HOLY COW!!! Talk about pain!!! I thought the discogram was bad, but wow was IDET something like you can't even describe as pain.

Anyway, went through the recovery phase and am in worse shape. I'm in my mid 30's and now have a morphine pump implanted and will have it for the rest of my life. I have heard very few positive outcomes from IDET. If you are going to consider this option, please, talk it over more with your doctor, find out what his success rate has been, ask if you can talk to some of his patients that have had it (good and bad outcomes).

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please let me know

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

What is IDET? I too was told i may be a good canadite for A.D.R. I have 2 bad discs L4-5 but was told only one disc can be done.I know in other countries they are doing multi A.D.R's with success. The surgon did tell me,he said if i were you,i would wait as long a possable to get it done.

Closed Thread