It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
(female)

jitteryme HB User
Zanaflex?

I had my very first appointment at the Pain Management Clinic this morning. For the past year, I have had increasingly worse pain (muscle achy tension) in my neck. On the pain scale, I am about a 5 every day and it feels like my head weighs about 50 pounds. I've had an MRI which showed DDD, Bulging Discs and some bone spurs. The orthopedic PA I saw, put me on Soma for the muscle tension, which really didn't do much of anything but make me sleepy.

The pain management doctor didn't like Soma and gave me Zanaflex instead. Does anyone here take this and can give me some positive feedback? I was going to search the site and see if I could find anything out about this, but the search feature is turned off right now. I am to start with 2 mgs. daily and increase my dosage from there. I am a big baby when it comes to taking new meds and would like to know what I am in for before I begin taking this. I also have some compounded cream to rub on my neck (which I have no problem doing) and am going to try a steriod injection in my neck to see if that will help.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sunnycal HB User
Re: Zanaflex?

My husband takes Zanaflex at night for RSD pain. It puts him to sleep almost immediately and takes away the pain. The doctors say that it does not last into the morning, so would not make you drowsy the next day. I wouldn't take it in the daytime, though.
Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Hey There!
I had questions about starting a new medication and had looked on-line and found all of the "technical" information, but like you, I wanted to get feedback from someone who had actually taken it. I'm sure someone here can help you. I'm sorry I can't tell you anything about it, removed. Keep checking back in here and someone is bound to have had some kind of first hand experience.

Please let us know how it goes.

Good Luck!
Lezlee

Ooops- Sorry Sunny- I started typing my reply, but had to get the phone, so yours actually posted before mine. I knew someone would know something first hand!!

Last edited by HBMod07; 07-08-2006 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Please read the rules and do not advise users search for their own information

Old 07-07-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
(female)

mainecoon66 HB User

Hi there, I took Zanaflex for several weeks and found it worked well for the pain. I was taking 1mg. Unfortunately, it seemed to elevate my liver enzymes, so I had to stop taking it. However, that may be a rare side effect. It also helped me sleep.
Best of luck,
Maine

Old 07-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
(female)

meeeeelee HB User

Zanaflex will make you sleep. Thats really the only effect I've seen from it. I take it daily, 4 mg at night, and I sleep for 3-4 hours uninterrupted.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi Jittery! I took Zanaflex for my DDD for about a year, it won't sedate you as much as the Soma, its just your basic muscle relaxer, works fairly well unless you have a lot of spasms, as I did, I was switched to Baclofen about 8 months ago, and since then my spasms have stopped, it also lasts longer than the zanaflex, I only have to take one 10 mg pill per day. But the zanaflex may work fine for you, if you tolerated the Soma, you shouldnt have any problems with the zanaflex. Your friend, Fabby

Old 07-07-2006, 08:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

I've been on zanaflex for about a year do to spacticity.4mg 4 x a day,it may make you drowsie at first,once your use to it you can function on it.I take that with baclofen.The combination settles the cramps down.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:57 AM   #8
(male)

badoldback HB User

Hey Jittery,
My new PM Doc changed me from Soma to Zanaflex about 6 months ago. After a short adjustment period I found it to be a quite effective muscle relaxer, and less sedating than Soma. Hope it works out for you.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
(female)

jitteryme HB User

Thank you all for your replies. Hearing that others have taken this med without adverse reactions made it much easier for me to try. I've now taken it for the past three nights, and although it appears to be "kinder" than the Soma, I haven't had any relief from the Zanaflex. I also started the compound cream on my neck and it hasn't done anything either. I am absolutely miserable, and feel like my appointment at the PM clinic wasn't all that productive.

As for the Zanaflex, does anyone know if this is something I will have to use for the long run or just until the muscles calm down? I have four more days at 2 mgs. and then I have to double the dosage to 4 mgs. I believe the doctor said that a therapeutic dose would be somewhere around 8 mgs. per day and I have to work my way up to that.

I am still waiting to hear when the steroid injection will be scheduled, although the doctor said it would be about a three week wait. I am about at the end of my rope with this neck and don't know if I can take another three weeks without something being done. I just can't seem to find anything, other than lying down, that helps my neck and I can't spend my entire day in bed. Motrin does nothing. The muscle relaxants do nothing, the cream does nothing. I'm not sure what I should do at this point.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi again,
Did your primary or the pain doctor give you anything just for pain? The flexeril works MUCH better in concert with percocet or vicodin, something like that. I would NOT be shy about calling and asking, just explain to them how much pain you are in and that you are getting no relief. I know with me, Sometimes the muscle relaxers alone actually make my pain WORSE because they relax everything and those bunched up muscles aren't protecting the site of the damage. It's terrible that we have to ask and constantly advocate for ourselves, when you are in pain that is the last thing anyone wants to do, spend time on the phone, at the ER, or in doctors offices feeling like we have to justify asking for relief of pain that would make the average person scream. Unfortuantly in the world of pain management, the squeeky wheel gets the grease. If your PM wants you to try the injections first, then call your primary, they should be able to give you something in the interrum to keep you more comfortable. Let us know how it goes, we care! Hugs, Fabby

Old 07-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #11
(female)

jitteryme HB User

Well I did call the PM Clinic today to find out about the injection. It's now scheduled for August 2nd. I asked what else I could be doing in the meantime, but the person I talked to told me I would need to wait until the injection date. I have some Vicodin that the orthopedic doctor gave me, but I've only taken it twice and didn't like the way it made me feel (dizzy). I really didn't notice all that much change in pain level either. I guess I will pretty much be laying low for the next three weeks. UGH. I hope to heck this shot works!

Old 07-16-2006, 03:15 PM   #12
(male)

warpman HB User
Thumbs down Re: Zanaflex?

Is Zanaflex a medication that takes effect soon after a dose, or does it have to build up in the blood stream to be effective?

Old 07-16-2006, 07:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Zanaflex starts to work after you take it.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:18 PM   #14
(female)

Queenneeee HB UserQueenneeee HB User

I take 4 mg of Zanaflex twice a day and then I take 8mg for bed. I have no reactions from this med and only get drowsy when I take the double dose for night however it only makes me fall asleep but does not keep me asleep all night so I also take ambiam at night. I go to my pm doctor tomorrow and I want to tell him I have very little relief with the zanaflex so far.I have taken it for one month and I really don't see the advantage from it. (I suffer from a very rare pelvis problem.... I have no cartledge between the bones.) just thought I would let you know my experience.

Last edited by Queenneeee; 07-18-2006 at 07:19 PM.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:49 PM   #15
(female)

jitteryme HB User

Well, I have now made it up to 3 mgs. of Zanaflex per night. On Saturday, I will try to up the dose to 4 mgs. I started out with 2 mgs. and was taking the samples given to me by the PM doctor. The samples were the "real deal" and not the generic. I could take them in the early evening and have no effect on me at all. Since filling the prescription for the generic Zanaflex, I was floored by how different it was. I have to take this right before bed, otherwise I will pretty much pass out. The stuff seriously knocks me down. I am supposed to be gradually working toward a "therapeutic dose" of 8 mgs., but I think I might end up in a coma if I were to take that much. I have had absolutely no relief yet from the dosage I am taking and have pretty much concluded there is no way I will be able to take this during the daytime hours. I'm not sure what to do now.

Closed Thread