It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
(male)

Wonderful Life HB User
Tolerance with oxycodone

Hi everyone thanks for taking the time to read my questions,

I have been on oxycodone/percocet for about 5 years now. I went from 3.x, to 5mg, to 7.5 and lately I can't even tell if i have taken a 7.5

I went to my doctor and told him that I wasn't getting alot of relief unless i was taking 2 at a time and he decided to switch me over to oxycodone CR with percocet for b/t.
He started off at 10 mg and I think tylenol would have done me more good. I toughed it out for about 10 days then called and let him know it wasn't working. So is tolerance to oxycodone normal? If so does it continue to increase, and is increasing to higher and higher amounts the only solution? Is there ever a ceiling after many years of pain meds?

He has decided to switch me over to duragesic patch, which i have had before I think it was 25mg if i am not mistaken.
My pain is nerve and also phantom and after many many test the only solution they have is pain meds. I am only 25 yr old so I should have at least 30 years of more meds to go.... sigh

Old 07-08-2006, 06:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: Tolerance with oxycodone

Wonderful Life-
Welcome to the family!!

I didn't see in your post as to whether or not you are having your pain managed by a general primary care doctor, a neuroligist or a pain management doctor. If you are not being treated by a pain management doctor, it might be a good idea to get a referral to a reputable one because they are qualified to treat long term pain and have many more options from which to chose.

Yes- tolerance is normal when you are on long term pain management, and your body naturally developes a tolerence, thus, needing the increase in dosing or switching medications.

In my case, my new pm doctor has told me this will be a long term thing and I will more than likely be on pain management for the rest of my life. It wasn't the most pleasant thing to hear, but I appreciate his honesty because now I know what my prospects are and can learn to deal with it. I mean, I'm older than you, 37, but still, I'm young and the prospect of living the rest of my life in pain management is pretty daunting nonetheless.

Best wishes, and keep checking back. You'll find a wealth of useful information here. Everyone has already helped me quite a bit and I am so thankful for that.

Lezlee

Last edited by ozzybug; 07-08-2006 at 02:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2006, 08:32 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User

wl,
welcome.its not suprising that you built up a tolerance over a few years.
I went from 30mg of oxycodone a day to 90mg in 2 years.

10mg of oxy c is less then you were taking when you were on a short acting med.
10 mg will sustain roughly 5mg in you system or 6-8 hrs.It releases the first half initially and the rest a few hrs later.

the doc really did not give the med a fair trial at that low a dosage.

i was given a choice of oxyc or long acting morphine when the short acting meds were no longer effective and i chose morphine because i was concerned with my increased tolerance to oxy.

some docs are very restrained when it comes to prescribing meds but the point of being on meds is to control your pain.it shouldnt matter if it takes 40mg a day or 80mg a day,you still are dependant on opiates.as long as you are compliant and dont self medicate.

it's trial and error when it comes to pain meds but medication is not the only way to manage pain,nor should it be.

nerve pain is particularly hard to manage with pain meds and you may have better results with meds such as neurontin or lyrica.some folks with nerve pain have good results with methadone which binds to different opiate receptors then oxy and morphine .
if the patch doesnt help let the dr know,it may not be the right med for you.
If you arent having your pain managed enough to function somewhat normally then it may be time to find a new dr.

i this doc is not a pain management dr then you should look for one as they are more experienced with pain and the medications that help with different types of pain.

dont give up,sooner or later you will find the right med and dosage but it may not happen with this doc.

good luck and welcome
scott

Old 03-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
(male)

mybadback HB User

im only a couple of years older than u and believe me, if its nerve pain that u suffer from(like ne) then you are in for 30+ yaers of pain meds. I was on oxy E.R. for about 5 years for my pain and i did get tolerant of the medicine too, even with hydrocodone for break through pain and my back and my leg(from the never)pain was unbearable, but a couple of months ago my doctor switched me to the duragesic patch and I have to sat that it works great for me. I know that everybody is different but for me it has made a drastic improvement. I'm doing things now that just a few months ago it hurt just to think about doing them!!! now I can walk without my cane most of the time and that in itself is a huge feat for me. So give the patches a try , If the dont help you more than the oxycodone at first, then talk to your doctor about raising your dose. I hope that they offer you as much relief as the do me. Best of luck to you from one young nerve pain sufferer to another! on another note, do you get the "ohh your too young for this to happen" or the "your soo young to be like this". If so, dont you hate people telling you things that u already know....like were not depressed enough about it!!!!!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:51 AM   #5
(female)

JaneVT HB User

I think I have seen your problem several times and the others are right about seeing if the patch works for you. In my experience when you are on long term meds they start to not work as effectively and you switch to another for a while. It is pretty common in the pain med world to go from oxycodone to short acting morphine. Also have seen good luck with zanaflex for the nerve pain.
good luck, JaneVT

Old 03-28-2010, 04:44 AM   #6
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User

Wonderful,

My doctor rotates me to MSIR (instant release morphine) when my percocet tolerance is at the point where 10/325mg QID are no longer effective. So my oxycodone tolerance has time to drop as I build a tolerance to the morphine. At that point I rotate back to Percocets. And so goes the cycle. Some doctors will include a hydrocodone based medication in their rotation. Sadly hydrocodone does nothing for me so I just have the two that I rotate between.

~Myo

Closed Thread