It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
(female)

PasBabycakes HB User
Doc changed my med from Oxy to Meth??question's

Hello everyone,,I have wrote few post about my chronic pain an how my current meds aren't working as well,anyway I have been on 80mg Oxycontin an allowed up to 3 10mg Percocet's a day now for over 3 year's an up until around 1st of year they worked OK but I had been building up tolerence an was afraid to say anything for fear of them changing my meds.I finally fessed up last month an the doc changed the breakthru from 3 Percocet's to the Oxycodone an allowed 2/5mg. every 4 hour's as needed,which basically ended up being same as 6 perc' a day for the breakthru.So it did help but I was still having quite a bit of pain.So now my QUESTION is this,,today they are changing me to Methodone 10mg. Two in the AM an Two at 5pm an One at about 10pm or before bed.This is total 50mg a day an NO Breakthru was given,She said with this I wouldn;t need any breakthru because this would control my pain.I hope this is true because what a blessing to go from all I have been taking to this but I would like to hear from other's who made the change an hear how it's been.Is it really better for Pain than the Oxy?Is the amount she is starting me on anywhere near to what I'm used too?I'm so afraid of the pain coming back full blast.I have suffered many year's in pain an ofcourse like everyone else on here started out on lot lower doses of meds..I have been told I'll need pain mtg/ rest of my life an I'm only 49 so really afraid of what's next.Anyway anyone who has been where I'm at now Please reply back.Also I was taking Xanax an she has chnged that to Ativan..Not sure why but something to do with taking Xanax with meth. Thanks in advance for any help. babycakes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2006, 07:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Re: Doc changed my med from Oxy to Meth??question's

Hi Babycakes! I can understand your anxiety about switching meds. When you've been on a drug for several years you get used to its effects, how it works, how long it takes before you get relief, etc. It isn't easy switching to something new. That's how I felt when the doc switched me from mscontin to methadone. I started with a rather low dose. I believe it was something like 60 mg. a day split into three 20mg doses. It took several months to get to the right dose which ended up being 180mg. per day. I did have oxycodone for breakthrough pain though. The main reason that my methadone dose went up so much was due to several big surgeries. I'm now going back down on the methadone and am currently at 120 mg. per day. I have to say that methadone has been the most effective pain reliever ever prescribed to me. As far as quality of life, I think in terms of "before methadone" and "after methadone" and there is just no comparison. The "after methadone" is so much better. Folks who have taken methadone will have different opinions, which is only normal. Some will call it the "devil drug" and warn you to stay far away from it. Others, like me, will tell you how the pain relief it gives them has allowed them to return to somewhat of a normal life. It has brought my pain score down from an 8 to somewhere around a 4 on most days. It will take some time to get used to the drug - at first you probably will feel a bit "spacey" or groggy. I would urge you to give it time and work with your doc to find the best dose for your body and your pain level. Keep reading this board - there are others here who can help you with the numbers as far as the oxycontin to methadone conversion. Please keep us posted on your progress. All the best - KathyMac

Old 07-12-2006, 08:59 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User

Methadone is an exellent pain killer and 50mgs a day is a good start.It is very difficult to build a tolerance to methadone which is advantageous to us people with chronic pain.Methadone is very high on the pain killing scale I know that.I was on every opiate pain killer you can think of for 22 years.I would build tolerances so quickly that the painkillers were useless most of the time and that why I started to abuse them.I have been on methadone for almost 4 years and it's by far the best pain killer I have had.Also you don't get the euphoric high with it and long term use won't harm your vital orgins.Some people suffer from constapation and sedation but the best thing to do for both of these side effects is to get and stay active.Even going for a morning and evening walk will do wonders.Good luck and post back and let us know how your making out....Dave

Old 07-12-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
(female)

PasBabycakes HB User

Thanks KathyMac an Dave,,I started this morn an yes I feel bit more groggy,feel little funky but changing 2 meds I have taken so many year's at same time is still bit scarey.When she said I couldn't take the Xanax I almost didn';t try this but with all I've been taking an still being in pain I know I have to give this a good shot so I'll let ya'll know how I did after full day.I can say the pain isn';t as bad so hoping by my next dose around 5pm maybe I'll get better relief.Later babycakes

Old 07-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hi Babycakes: I think after a period of time you'll be more than happy you made the switch to Methadone. I think you're starting higher than I did, but I'm not positive. I too, was on other meds, such as Oxycontin, Duragesic Patches (Fentenyl), plus several SA meds. When I was switched to Methadone, it was a struggle at first, because my doc switched me with nothing for breakthrough. I still, to this day have nothing for BT, and I've been on Meth over three years now.

I'm at 180 mg per day now, 60 mg TID, but with my docs ok, I take smaller doses (10 or 20 mg) throughout the day. That helps with the drowsiness and also help my pain because of not having any BT meds. When I was on Oxycontin, I was at 480 (160 TID) with Roxicodone, 30 mg q 4h, prn. So you see, I've been at rather high doses of other meds. The Fentenyl was 100 mcg TID, with the Roxi for BT.

I think you'll get use to the Meth and the two or three hard things I still have problems with are driving long distances, reading, and watching TV. The only one that is a big problem is driving. What I do is to take a minimal dose before leaving and not taking any more (unless I absolutely have to) until we reach our destination. If it's 50 miles it's not bad at all. If it's 400 miles, it can be a problem.

Hang in there and keep us updated on your progress. There are some people on these boards who can offer advice and their knowledge to help you along the way, if you need it. I will answer any question you might have, if I can. BTW, welcome to the boards.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:18 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User

There are a couple of other things I should mention.Methadone takes about 5 days to level out in the blood serum level so it's not like taking a quick acting opiate like percocet.So give it a good week before you make any dose changes but of course consult your doctor first.The other point is break thru medication is virtually useless with methadone as it blocks out all other opiates that's one of the reasons they give it to addicts.So if you find your still in pain I wouldn't advise you take anything else but methadone but again ask your doctor first.Methadone has proven to be an exellent long term pain killer with little chance for quick tolerance building.....Dave

Old 07-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hey Dave...You're right on concerning Methadone taking about five days to build up to full strength in your bloodstream and be the most effective. However, I think you can still take SA breakthrough medication and get pain killing results from it. What you won't get, is the high a lot of people may be looking for. Meth blocks the receptors that will give the high, but it still allows the BT med through to work.

Old 07-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #8
(female)

PasBabycakes HB User

Thanks Guys,,so good to hear from other's who have been there an done that.She didn;'t give me any breakthru an said I wouldn't need it,,so I was really afraid because I had been taking alot of breakthru because the Oxy dose just wasn't working anymore,But I have made it the whole day an I did call the doctor at 2pm an asked her if she was sure about this drug lasting so long an she said she needed to hear me let her know when the pain came back to better judge what I'll need an she also let me take another 10mg. an now I just took my last 20mg for the nite.But she has allowed if I wake up in pain during the nite I can take another 10mg.So she started me off 50mg a day an if any I may need 60mg but thats a big if..I think I'm learning more how this drug works. Thanks so much!babycakes

Old 07-12-2006, 06:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Director, Dave and Babycakes - My experience has been that breakthrough pain meds do work very well with the methadone. I took 30mg. of oxycodone for breakthrough with my 180 mg. of methodone when needed. It took care of the pain. Dave, I'd have to agree that the "euphoric" effects that one might get if you were just taking oxycodone or another opiode does seem to be blocked by the methadone. Methadone leaves me with a clear head (once I got used to it) and no feeling of being high or drugged. That's why I like it - I can function so much better on methadone than other narcotics. KathyMac

Old 07-14-2006, 11:10 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User

Thanks for the info Director,it's very important to me that I give out accurate information.I was actually going by my own experience with taking morphine on top of methadone.For me it didn't help at all.I was on a fairly high dose of methadone at the time (400mgs) and I'm sure that had something to do with it.I also know that you have to be careful when taking extra opiates when your on methadone because the chances for an od are greater.Thanks again....Dave

Closed Thread