It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006, 08:33 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User
Unhappy What next

I woke up a few days ago with severe pain in both my wrists and my right shoulder, so I waited a day or so for the pain to subside and it didn't so I went on in to the doc and was diagnosed with major tendonitis in both wrists and the shoulder. I just can't believe this!! On top of the rest of my pain, now this, and... I thought you had to do something repetively to get tendonitis.

I was really bad about taking my meds before, but now I am taking them like I'm supposed to and honestly they are helping my back and neck pain, but not the tendonitis pain. My wrists are so bad I cannot open my prescription bottles, had to have my husband open all of them for me, and I cannot sleep at all now. I have resorted to trying to sleep in a chair in the living room because of the shoulder. I find myself crying from the pain off and on. Maybe I have hit my breaking point. In all the reading I've done about tendonitis, it's my understanding that it shouldn't last long, thank goodness, but does anybody know of anything that I can do to relieve some of this pain??

Right now, I have tried not using the wrists and shoulder, icing them and taking the meds. I am also using an ointment I found called Bio-Freeze. Even during rest and not moving the shoulder it will start causing immense pain that like I said brings me to tears, so any ideas would be nice. I would also like to know what the heck brought this on???:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: What next

Hey Blue, As odd and simple as it may sound, Have you hubby check the position of your hands while you sleep the next few nights. My wife had a very similar problem that is exaserbated by PN in her hands and feet. The doc asked me to do this and the first night I woke her 4 times because after falling asleep she would move into an awkward position with with her wrists comletely flexed and her hands curled up under her chin.

Appearently it's not an uncommon fetal like sleeping position and they resolved her problem with splints that prevented her from flexing her wrists during the night. It took 6-8 weeks of wearing the splints for her to stop getting into that position without them but it resolved most of the pain within days. After 6 or 8 weeks, I guess you develop some type of muscle memory. She wears the splints if her wrists start to bother her again but I rarely see her sleep with her hands i that position now. If I do I always adjust her hands,It may wake her, but it's better than the problem it was creating.
It's also a lot easier to rule out something simple than go through steroid injections, EMGs, wearng braces while awake and taking them off for sleep when the problem may be the posistion you sleep in. Just something to consider.
Good luck, Dave

Old 07-12-2006, 05:05 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

Dave, Actually, I have wondered if that wasn't causing some of my problem. I did ask my husband if he noticed anything strange about the way I was sleeping, but of course he wasn't paying attention. He's a very heavy sleeper. It would certainly explaine a lot considering I haven't done anything during my waking hours to deserve this! I don't know if my shoulder could be so severly affected in my sleep?? If only it would go away..

PS. I think it's great that you take such good care of your wife!

Last edited by BlueSteam; 07-12-2006 at 05:13 PM.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
(female)

mainecoon66 HB User

Hi BlueStream,

I am sorry to hear that you are having such a terrible time! If you don't mind me asking, what does the pain feel like? You had mentioned in a response to one of my posts that you had an allergic reaction to a recent ESI. Is it possible that this pain is related in any way to that?

As far as suggestions, I have recently discoverd Tiger Balm..not sure if it is similar to the ointment that you are using, but it has sometimes worked for me on pain when all else fails. It's cheap as well. We also had a discussion about sleep...not sure if you saw my last reply, but Trazadone really works for me, without anything much in the way of side effects and I am sensitive to side effects. I take a low dose - 50mg - at bedtime. Might be something to talk to your dr about?

I really hope that you can find some relief soon!
Take care
Vickie

Old 07-13-2006, 03:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

Don't forget ole fashion wrist hand splints that you wear over night and imflamation can happen over any joint muscles.
Any chance you have been to a rhumyatoligist yet? If imflamation is active they can help with that
heat pads and or ice packs can help as well

Old 07-13-2006, 08:02 AM   #6
(male)

badoldback HB User

Hey Blue,
I had this happen after ESI. I still don't know what the connection is or what the solution is. I will be very interested in your progress.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #7
(female)

mainecoon66 HB User

Hi Badoldback,
I think I missed your reply to my post re arachnoiditis - sorry about that! I don't want to hijack Blue's post, so just want to say that there have been a couple more posts on that thread that you might want to take a look at...that you still have swelling in your legs 9 months after your esi is really concerning! NOT what you were looking for, huh!

Blue - you might also be interested in the last post on my thread re arachnoiditis...I don't want to alarm you...it's very rare and highly unlikely that that is what's going on with you. But the last post is by someone who has it and included some links to some good info...only if you think your current symptoms might be related to your esi. I've read that you never want to say the 'a-word' to your dr, but you could check out the list of symptoms and see if any reflect how you are feeling.

I sure hope you can feel better soon...every day without sleep must be that much harder to bear.

take care,
Vickie

Last edited by mainecoon66; 07-13-2006 at 08:56 AM.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:58 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

I just know this has something to do with my esi. I NEVER had much pain on my right side until I had the stupid thing. Emediately following the esi I had pain on my right side that I had never felt. Last night was downright awful for me. I had burning sensations all throughout my neck that went clean down my right arm to my fingers. It really feels like my arm is broke, and yet I have not injured my arm! This is pain that I have felt in my left arm at times, but have never felt the pain in my shoulder. I am really feeling the emotional effects of all of this. Just like Maine stated, these were not s/e's that I ever thought would happen.

I kind of tested myself to see if Dave could be right about the way I was sleeping to see if that could be the cause of my wrist pain, but there is no way--I didn't sleep, and still had the pain this AM. I used althletic tape to wrap my wrists also to keep them still--and I still have the pain.

I've been using ice and heat, the doc has me on skelaxin, ultram, motrin, and I take my topamax also. Nothing is touching the pain. Even with my lower back and neck injuries, (other than the migraines I used to get) this is the first pain that has actually made me cry. I feel helpless!!

I saw my primary for this, but I will try to get into my pm today to see what he says about it. Whatever happens I will let you know!!

Old 07-13-2006, 07:00 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

I did get in touch with my pm today who suggested I get back in touch with the dr who saw me the other day--because he can't see me until the 28th At that time they will consider a numbing injection or cortizone shot. Doesn't cortizone have a steriod in it? My pm believes I had a reaction to the steriod to begin with I'm not sure??

Anyway, I am now sitting here with my right arm in a sling and my left wrist in a brace. I hope like heck that this will relieve some of my pain. But... I am thinking that I need some kind of bullets when I do go see my pm about this esi causing this damage. If I feel better in a couple days I'm going to do all the research I can, and if anyone else finds anything, please let me know.

Old 07-16-2006, 06:49 PM   #10
(female)

mainecoon66 HB User

Hi Blue,
I am sorry to hear you are still suffering so much.

Cortisone is a type of steriod, which has anti-inflammatory properties. Have you had cortisone shots before, and have you tolerated them ok?

As far as reactions to ESI's, I can share the symptoms I've had - tho I had mine in my lumbar spine while yours was in your cervical spine (if I'm remembering right?) so I'm not sure how much difference that makes. Anyway, after my procedure I started having daily headaces, fever/chills, burning pain (VERY different kind from what I had prior to my procedure - more intense, nerve like) that went from lower back into buttocks, down both legs, burning in feet, bladder problems, much less tolerance to walking, standing, numbness in feet esp in morning. Also have found it much harder to control pain with my meds.

I've made an appt with my doc and what I want to find out is if there are other types of reactions you can have to ESI's and what can be done about them. I don't intend to let any dr near me with a needle until I get a full, understandable explanation for what's going on with me now. Still that's just me, and I'm not in your shoes by any means.

I so hope your doc can help you get some relief. I can't imagine...you must be more than at your wit's end at this point, having been in so much pain and without sleep for this long.
I will be praying for you, Blue,
Take care
Vickie

p.s. as far as bullets, the way I am going to handle my appt is to go in with a list of my symptoms without mentioning what I think may be the cause, or any disease names, and describe what's working and what I need help with. Sometimes I have felt that the doc doesn't always look around as much when I have given them my self-diagnosis....still that's just my perception. From what I have read, the idea of ESI's causing damage is a controversial subject with some docs. Again, just what I've read.

Last edited by mainecoon66; 07-16-2006 at 07:00 PM.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:40 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

Hi Maine, I've never had cortisone shots, but what got me is that my pm felt as tho I had a reaction to the steriod in the esi--so then why would he give me any type of an injection at all with a steriod in it?

I haven't been able to do an research yet, and I am finally getting a little sleep, as the shoulder is calming down a little. Just have to be careful how I move when I'm sleeping. Nearly impossible I had to quit taking the skelaxin and ultram because one of them started giving me palpatations about 4 days into them. It was too bad because I really feel that the skelaxin was helping a lot.

I will look into your other thread and see what I can find. I sincerely appreciate all the help!!

Old 07-19-2006, 10:46 AM   #12
(female)

mainecoon66 HB User

Hi Blue,
I am so glad to hear you are getting a little sleep. You sound somewhat like me in your reactions to meds...I find one that helps, but end up having to quit because of side effects...sorry to hear that happened to you with the skelaxin - that was one I also thought helped me but had to quit.

I can't remember in our chats - have you tried trazadone for sleep? And lyrica for pain? Only reason I mention these is that they worked for me and I'm pretty sensitive, so might be something to talk to your doc about? I did have trouble with the lyrica at first, but have now switched to a much lower dose (50mg tid) and it seems to help my nerve pain. THe main side effect I had was drowsiness, which dissipated affter about a week. But maybe you could use some drowsiness right now?

Blue, I really hope your doc can help you find some relief, and SOON!!
All the best,
Vickie

oh, btw...went to another doc yesterday to get a second opinion on whether my ESI could have caused me problems (which I am certain it did since I had a lot of symptoms, including increased pain, start directly after the procedure). I wanted to have an MRI ordered of the area where I had the ESI as this is the definitive test as far as I can tell. It was a bit like pulling teeth. I had gone there saying specifically that I wanted a second opinion. Anyway, I finally got the order, so I'll let you know if I find anything more out.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Blue-
I wanted to drop in and say that I do hope they find out what's going on and are able to help you. I am glad that you are able to get a bit more sleep. It's so hard to deal with so much pain when you can't get a good nights rest.

Fingers are crossed that your pm doctor will be able to get you the relief you need. Please keep us posted.

Lezlee

Old 07-19-2006, 02:05 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

BlueSteam HB User

Thankyou! My sleep was short lived! I haven't tried either one of those meds, but I do have an appt with my pm on the 28th--seems like forever at this point. I am hoping for some answers at time. He did mention doing another mri and maybe sending me to a neurosurgeon at my last appt. I hope he keeps his word. I will ask about the meds when I see him. I did a little research and couldn't find anything to support my theory yet.

My shoulder is doing better, I just have to be very carefull, especially at night. I just can't seem to get to sleep. My husband is having some heart problems right now, and I'm thinking it's taking it's toll on me.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:04 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Oh Blue-
I'm sorry to hear of your husband's heart trouble. I know that worrying about it can certainly take it's toll on you in more ways than one. I'm sending positive thoughts your way sweetie, for healing and strength, and lest we forget- some MUCH needed rest!!

Lezlee

Last edited by ozzybug; 07-19-2006 at 03:04 PM.

Closed Thread