It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
(female)

mainecoon66 HB User
pain pump vs stimulator vs oral meds?

My dr has recommended that I look into the spinal stimulator and the pump.

Does anyone know what the criteria are for deciding to use a pain pump vs a spinal stimulator vs oral medications? I would guess that one of them would be knowing you are going to have chronic pain that is not well-controlled by oral medications?

I have done some research on the spinal stimulator and the pump - both seem to allow you to lower your oral meds. However, the long term effectiveness of the stimulator did not seem that hopeful - 50% reduction in 1st year, but declines to 10% over 10 years. I realize some relief is better than nothing.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has these devices -
- how did they make their decison to move to these devices?
- what benefits did they find?
- did they have any complications?
- overall, are they happy with their decision?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Vickie

Old 07-13-2006, 04:11 AM   #2
(female)

Treacleinpain HB User
Re: pain pump vs stimulator vs oral meds?

Hello there, I am a reciepent of the 'Intrathecal pain pump' I was told the stimulator and pump are for different things really and also people that do have Stimulator do go on to have the pump in the end as Stim does not take back pain away like the pump can do.

The procedure is very invasive so you will have to really think about what you want, also if you have the pump you almost become hospital property as you have to go regulary to have pump refilled unlike Stim.
If you have either Stim/Pump you will have Trials first then if they work they go ahead and implant one, sometimes you have to see a pyschologist first this is just red tape stuff and to see if you would cope with one..

I was told that I could have minor probs but unlikely but they have to warn you. Unfortunatly i had a intrathcal Granuloma which is a mas on the end of the catherter and can be very dangerous this is very rare infact very rare! I was unlucky but things have been sorted now and never put me off of having it I still have my pump as it is so good, I take a small amount of oral meds and a little more if I over do it, but generally its very good.
I now see my pump as a part of me now..

I hope this helps and whatever you decide good luck..

Diana x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2006, 09:52 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

mergatroy HB User
Re: pain pump vs stimulator vs oral meds?

How much pain relief do you get with the morphine pump?

Originally and now?

Thank you. I am getting my appointment to my doctor to discuss my implant.
NOW I am scared...I hate to get cut on if it doesn't work well.

Can you have the morphine AND Electronic Pain Relief at the same time?

Thanks..good luck with yours......

Closed Thread