It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 05:04 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User
Shoreline I need you buddy

Hey Dave I hope things been good for you . I got home yesterday from my surgery . My Dr. couldn't remove my hardware because I wasn't fused. He added some bone and protein to it , and he said i had a ton of scar tissue and said I may have problems because he cut alot of scar tissue off my leg nerves , he's not sure how my leg will turn out , so far just numb like its a sleep . ( foot to )
The dura sleeve thing is what you were looking up..That website you gave me a while back was the same thing . I hope it works. I won't know for a while . He said he cut a piece and wrapped it around. its not really a sleeve just a wrap around thing.
Hope your doin well.

Dan

Old 07-13-2006, 05:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Shoreline I need you buddy

Hey dan, Lets cross our fingers for minimnal scarring. When they went back in to revise and lengthen the last fusion it took 3 hours just to get to my spine. A NS did the nerve and scar work and the OS did the actual fusion. Of course I got the same BS how everything was solid up untill the hadware started failing but tht normally takes a couple years. The hardware is tested and stessed to simimulate a lifetme of pounding. Are you wusing a bone growth stim. I have an external bone growth stim that cost about 3K [ REMOVED ] It's designed to use after fusion or to try to revitalize fusions that have failed that are more than 2 years old. Either way it's just one more thing that may improve the odds of success. Definitely hold back on smoking if you can, nicotine constricts blood flow down to the capilarry level and can worsen the odds of a sucesful fusion.

You do have guts and I understand the desperation and willingness to do anything to get your life back. As far as numbness, it's certainly better than than feeling like you foots on fire and hopefully as the swelling goes down a little more feeling will come back.

I didn't realize things were moving so fast but I guess fast is as good as anything, hopefully by the end of summer you will have some nice cool days to start rehabbing your back. It's just amazing how much strength and muscle mass you can loose in a short period of time. Whos managing our post op meds, he surgeon or your PM doc.

Hang in there and I do hope this provides all the relief you hoped for, but the numbness really isn't something to worry about this soon after surgery. They don't normally use anti inflamatories after surgery because they have shown to inhibit bone growth too, so it's just a matter of trying to stay comfy and not reinjuring yourself durng the first few months folowing surgery.

Insist on PT even f your surgeon doesn't believe in it, your GP or PM doc can order it. It's just something I have found to get you started back on the path, not that they will teach you anything new, but what the heck else to ya have to do why waiting and recovering from this kind of surgery. There is also specific PT for scar managamnet to prevent he myofacial layer from geting tacked down to the fascia.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Tak care and don't try to over do things in these early days of healing.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-13-2006 at 06:50 AM. Reason: you know the rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2006, 06:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi Dan - I've been following your threads and just wanted to say welcome home and good luck for a speedy recovery! The last line of Dave's post is probably the most important - "don't over do it"! That was the mistake that I made after several of my spine and hip surgeries and I paid a heavy price for it. I sure hope you've found some relief from all your suffering Dan. All the best - KathyMac

Old 07-14-2006, 05:02 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

KathyMac , Thank you , and I will watch I don't over do it this time , everyone tells me I try to do to much..

Dan

Old 07-14-2006, 05:09 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Hi Dave , yeah my fingers are crossed . My surgery took a little over 3 hours.
I woke up with a unit of my blood hanging over my head , I flipped out and ask where that blood came from , they told me they took it out before my surgery..I don't think I have a bone growth stim..he did say he used some new FDA approved stuff in my back , I'll find out next Friday.

Yeah I can't wait for PT..atleast I'm moving there..my surgeon is the one who been helping me out with my pain meds , my PM doctor gives me lyrica and other nerve meds but they didn't help , but he still gave them to me.

Thanks for the help Dave , I have to get off here , I'm feeling woosy.

Dan

Closed Thread