It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 06:59 AM   #1

Birchbeer6 HB User
Morphin Pump

My mom just had the morphine pump put in on Monday....due to chronic back pain....everything is going well but her whole stomach looks like sunburn.....any ideas on why this is happening....if its still the same and or gets worse....I got to take her to the Drs.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Morphin Pump

Hi Birch, Reness is a sign of infection and infection can develop and spread very fast.An 8 inch circle around the pump being red and swollen is falirly normal but spreading across the entire belly is not. If the red area is warm to the touch and speads out away from the site of the incision like fingers untill the entire area becomes red , inflamed and hot. Check it several times a day and if sh'es red and warm more than 12 inches from the site of incision she really needs to get it checked by a doc. If it gets worse over the weekend and you can't reach the surgeon, go to the ER to have it checked before it can turn into a nasty resistant infection or cellulitis.

A friend of my wife had basic out patient hemoroid surgery in the AM, and was discharged within hours of waking up. By 4pm he was back in the ER with an infection and by the next morning he was in the OR having part of his butt cheek removed, the upper portion of the inside thigh and one testicle. Infections can spread very quickly. Better to waste some time in the ER than let an infection go several days waiting for the surgeon to be available.

Good luck and I hope the pump is the right answer to yourt moms pain.
Take care, Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2006, 06:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Birch-
Good morning. I have to agree with Shoreline about getting that reaction checked as soon as possible. If there is some kind of infection, it's better to be caught and treated sooner rather than later.

Please keep us posted. I do hope everything goes well with the pain pump and that your mom gets some much needed relief!

Lezlee

Old 07-18-2006, 10:18 AM   #4

Birchbeer6 HB User

We went to the Drs...yesterday....the incision site is fine.....no fluid, or no redness...the redness comes and goes on her stomach....they werent sure what is was....maybe the tissues are infected or inflammed.....they told her to keep warm compresses on it.....we go Friday...again...hopefully they will take out the staples...so she can be more comfortable

Old 07-18-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

charliecat31 HB User

I had a morphine pump implanted a few years ago (I'm in my mid 30's now) to help with my back pain. I'm very glad that your mom had this checked out. I'm not sure what the redness could be, but as the others posted it could have been a sign of infection. I'm glad it wasn't and hope she is doing well.

The skin in the area where the pump has been implanted has been stretched quite a bit to accomidate the pump, this could be why it's turning red on her off and on. I get some redness and irritation when they fill mine every two months but we've found that it was a slight reaction to the bedadine (sp?) and now they use alchol to clean the area. My doctor told me that one of his patients actually scratched the area raw once from the same thing. So when she starts getting her refills be on the lookout for that.

Hope things go well and that she finds a lot of relief from the pump

Closed Thread