It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
(female)

Rosieposie1 HB User
Rosarita Referred to PM, Finally!!

Hi, it's Rosa. I've been trying to post for a while but had computer problems, sick problems, daughter's high school graduation problems, on and on. I've been lurking in the shadows but couldn't post. I'm sorry.

I've finally been referred to PM. For a long time I was afraid of it because of the medication and becoming a "druggie." I have a few new problems and I haven't been able to smile . I've also been crying a lot and my husband insisted that I do something.

I've been reading the posts and am sure my fears aren't unique. Yesterday, my internal med doc said that if I didn't do something about the pain, I wouldn't make it. Unfortunately, every morning when I wake up crying I would be wondering how long I could take this pain. I try not to sleep very long because I would stiffen due to the arthritis, and my old back pains. If I move I still hurt but not nearly as bad if I sleep through the night. It's impossible to never sleep, so what do you do?

The pm doc is local and a good friend of my reg doc. My doc and I already have an agreement that I'm not to take any new meds w/o his approval because my system is very sensitive and I have other medical problems that have to be considered. He's the only doc who understands me and all my baggage. I go to see him on the 27th and my doc gave me a nine day prescription of prednisone for the inflammation. He didn't want to give me more medicine because I'm taking a nice amount and he's not quite sure what's causing my pain. Is it scar tissue, the retrolisthesis, arthritis, the dehydrating disks or what. I can hold on until the 27th.

Please let me hear from you. I'm trying to type my profile. I may have to wait for my computer helper to get here tomorrow to help me.

Luv to all,

Rosa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Cool Re: Rosarita Referred to PM, Finally!!

Hi Rosa, and welcome to the boards! we have a good group here of knowledgable compassionate folks who are all just trying to help each other make it through another day with chronic pain. I will look forward to reading your other posts, and wish you luck with your new doctor. Let us know how it goes. Your Friend, Fabby

Last edited by Fabrashamx; 07-13-2006 at 10:13 PM.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:18 AM   #3
(female)

Rosieposie1 HB User
Re: Rosarita Referred to PM, Finally!!

Hi Fabby,
It's been a while since I've read any of your posts. Thanx so much for the welcome! I just love this little man! I was telling my computer whiz kid that I've learned more on these boards than I have relying on the information from my doctors.

I've been trying to convince myself, not to mention my therapist, that I really need pm. I'm one of those tough broads who can handle anything. Well, this pain is about to handle me. My doc told my husband that if we don't get this pain under control, I won't make it. My biggest fear is becoming a drug-head.

I've been reading other posts and I'm beginning to feel better about my "drug" issues. I'm not alone and I know it. I keep counting my blessings, but somehow the pm issue has not been resolved. Luckily, the pm doc is close to my home and is good friends with my im doc. My doc and I have an understanding that I'm not to take any meds until they are approved by him. I have more than one doc and more than one health issue. Sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I don't want to kill myself and he doesn't want me to drop dead. I've checked with him several times and two meds he told me not to take. It took years to find this doc and boy am I happy to have him! You see, this is a blessing!

My doc also told us (my husband and me), that I'm not to have any more operations for as long as possible. He's afraid of scar tissue and I'm already having scar tissue problems on the bottom of both feet. Some of my pain issues could be scar tissue, arthritis, new back problem or old back problems. Who's to say. Had another MRI done on my lower back. It showed that I have retrolisthesis, and two of the disks were dehydrating. I already had diskectomies done on those two disks three years ago.

Adjusting my lifestyle to my aches and pains is another issue but I'll just have to get back to you on this one. A lot has happened since last summer and I can't post it all at one time so I'll see you later.

Luv, Rosa

Old 07-14-2006, 06:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: Rosarita Referred to PM, Finally!!

Rosa-
Welcome to the community. You have come to the right place for advice, information and support. Everyone here has been so kind to me already, and I truly enjoy returning the favor.

As always, I am so sorry there is another person having to deal with chronic, long term pain. I think it's wonderful that you have been referred to pm, and even more wonderful that your existing doctor is going to stay involved. Many times, the referring doctor makes the referral and then basically washes his/her hands of you. With the two of them staying involved and in contact I think you will really see some improvement in your pain levels and quality of living.

It may take some "trial and error" and time to come up with the best treatment plan, but it can be done. I hope you start to see major improvement soon! Take care and keep us posted-

Lezlee

Closed Thread