It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

jitteryme HB User
Epidural Steroid Injections

I am scheduled to have my first ESI in my neck on August 2nd. I've been reading through this forum about people who have had increased pain and problems with these injections. I was hoping that I could encourage people to post their positive stories as well. I am really starting to worry, as the negatives seem to be aired more than the positives. I keep telling myself that they wouldn't keep doing these injections if they weren't beneficial. I have had three friends have them and all three have had good results, so I am trying to keep that in my mind to maintain optimism. I also asked the doctor if this would make this worse, and he said that it would not.

So please, if you have had a positive experience with an epidural steroid injection, would you mind sharing it.

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Re: Epidural Steroid Injections

Hi Jittery! Please remember that many folks who post are usually posting about a bad experience. But that's true of just about anything! How often do you hear about good things on the news?? It's not that we are a bunch of complainers, I think that we tend to use this forum for our complaints and our questions about things that aren't working well for us. After all, that is probably the main purpose of this section of the healthboard. Anyway, I am someone who has had very good luck with ESI's. I had one just a few weeks ago. The numbing medicine gave me a few wonderful hours of being completely pain free, and after about a week to 10 days, the steroids worked to make the pain just a memory. I was having severe pain from bursitis that had developed over a screw under my right scapula. I was doubting that it would work because it was taking a bit longer than I had expected, but sure enough....it worked! I've also had the injections in my sacral joints and in my back. I've never experienced the increased pain that so many others have suffered. I would try to go into the procedure with an open mind. Hopefully others will respond with their positive experiences. As you said, if these procedures weren't helping folks, they certainly would have stopped using them a long time ago. I hope you get relief like I did. All the best - KathyMac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
(female)

mainecoon66 HB User

I agree with KathyMac...people have different experiences from ESI's...many of them favorable. I had 2 which I felt gave me relief, both in my L4...I got significant relief for 3 months.

I think some of the 'negative' experiences you have been reading may have been mine. I have had significantly increased pain since my last ESI. However, from what I understand there is not clear study to show how rare this is. Many people have positive experiences. The thing I wish I had done differently was read a little more about it, and asked more questions from my doc...it just seemed like such a common procedure and I was desperate to get out of pain.

For example, from what I read (and again, only what I read) you are onlly supposed to have 3 a year. I didn't know this and ended up having 8 in 5 months. I also didn't know that a rare percentage of people have an allergic reaction to either the steroid or the preservatives it's stored in. Also, that a single vial should not be used for more than one injection (which is what happened to me). Again, this is what I have read and only my experience.

As KathyMac pointed out, many people benefit from these injections.

Best of luck, and I hope you get the relief you hope for from your procedure, as so many have.
Vickie

Old 07-18-2006, 05:48 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

Same story here. had several in lumbar years ago . the fourth finally did the trick and i was pain free until i re-injured my back. no after effects either. had one in my SI joint that put me in extremem pain for about 2 weeks and then subsided. just had one in my shoulder. same as SI joint. horrible pain for 3 weeks but now it is fine. i am approaching the possibility of injections in my neck. am a little scared because of the area but will definitely give it a try. more times than not they really help and have kep me out of surgery for along time. the only thing that has set my pain off is doing the same movements that caused the problems in the first place. LIFTING<LIFTING<LIFTING>

Old 07-18-2006, 06:49 AM   #5
(male)

dub1 HB User

HI, I just wanted to let you know that i had very good results from both of mine! It took the leg pain down by about half, which was quite a relief. The procedure itself is not bad at all, it only takes a couple of min. I hope this helps and good luck!

Old 07-18-2006, 07:52 PM   #6
(male)

dnorton356 HB User

Hello Jittery,
I have had a series of Epidural shots two times for my lower back. Once without sedation and once with sedation. I am going in tomorrow to start another series. The last set definately helped the pain for about six months. If you are given a choice for sedation, take it. For an hour or two you will be completely pain free. Its worth the price of admission! Besides, its can be a little unerving the first time you have this procedure. don't concern yourself with this deal too much. Its less painfull then a visit to the dentist and there is more then a descent chance it will help your pain level.
Dave

Closed Thread