It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

mergatroy HB User
PM&R doctor says Mylanta binds Morphine.

I have been taking Mylanta for my GERD. Yesterday, while complaining that the morphine "just wasn't doing it" for me, the PM&R doctor told me Mylanta binds morphine so it may not work.

Have you ever heard this? If it "binds" morphine, I wonder about other opioids?
Opinions please.

Old 07-18-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User
Re: PM&R doctor says Mylanta binds Morphine.

Any Antacid should not be taken with most meds. I think it blocks the drug from getting in to your system. I also think I read somewhere that you can take the Antacid in four hours but I can be wrong. Ask your druggest he will know.

Last edited by HBMod07; 07-18-2006 at 06:41 PM. Reason: It is not necessary to quote a message that is directly above your response

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User

If you have to take an antacid you can get morphine in a suppository.This will bypass the gut and therefore won't be blocked.Just an idea.....Dave

Old 07-19-2006, 06:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

I've never heard that Mylanta binds but it is possible. I know that older prescribed reflux medications do cause problems with a vast majority of medications and blocks them so many doctors do not prescribe them and opt for the newer treatments.

The best thing to do is if you are suffering from heart burn is to talk to your doctor and get a prescription medication that not only controls the heart burn but prevents and heals the esophogus and stomache. Heartburn or GERD is a very serious problem and the leading cause of esophogus cancer, it should be treated properly with prescription medication.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

mergatroy HB User

My cardiologist told me to use Mylanta when I feel chest pains. I have had a lot of chest pains lately, mostly stress, but I use Mylanta and if that does not stop the pains, I use Nitrolingual. If that does not stop the pain I call 911.

I have been on a few meds like Prevacid, Aciphex and I am on Omeprazole now. I take two capsules a day. I STILL get acid reflux once in awhile. Did I mention that I drank drano when I was three years old. It ate my teeth and gums out, but they didn't check my esophagus (to my knowledge) until a couple of years ago. It is scarred, but no cancer, etc.

I understand Mylanta, Nexium, Prevacid, Aciphex and so on can change the PH in your stomach, but when you have a severe chest pain, every other priority gets shifted. I have already spent 4 days in cardiac ICU, where my heart stopped twice and so on. I learned a lesson there. I no longer ignore chest pains.

Back to the original statement...I was mainly wanting to make sure everyone knew about it. I understood Mylanta, etc. could change the PH of our stomach and therefore change how the meds reacted...what I never thought of was that taking Mylanta at 8am might "bind" my Morphine taken at 11am (as an example).

Lorriem has a good point. If we are just taking Mylanta, etc as part of a "general" regimen, we should consider taking it after our other meds. If my usage were not cardiac related, I would do that.

Closed Thread