It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
(male)

Otter66 HB User
new hyromorphone drug "OPANA"

Hi Guys,

Just read a blurb about Endo Pharm. New Hydromorphone extrended-release drug called "Opana".

Anybody heard about this??

Old 07-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
(female)

Drewtn HB User
Re: new OXYmorphone drug "OPANA"

"Endo Receives FDA Approval For Opana(R) ER (oxymorphone HCl) Extended-Release And Opana(R) (oxymorphone HCl) Immediate Release Tablets" CII

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: new hyromorphone drug "OPANA"

The FDA approved Opana on June 22, but I haven't seen anything on distribution or availability yet. Anyone know when this will be available to the consumer or maybe it already is available. Better yet, is anyone taking it or have plans to ask their doctor to change to it?

Old 07-18-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

It sounds like some great advances are being made towards helping those of us who live with chronic pain. I really hope that advances are made to help people not living with chronic pain to stop thinking we are all just pill poppers.

I am so glad to see when these companies come out with new information. Information leads to understanding and hopefully acceptance.

I'm going to keep my eyes open and read up on this. I hope it's a good thing and will help those who need it.

Lezlee

Old 08-25-2006, 12:14 PM   #5
(female)

Stardazed HB User

Sorry, bumping this to see if anyone's yet to try this new drug. Thinking of changing from Duragesic to something less expensive and wondered if anyone had tried it and any info on it. Is it in pharmacies yet? Doc's prescribing it yet?

Thanks!

Last edited by Stardazed; 08-25-2006 at 12:15 PM.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
(male)

beebers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardazed
Sorry, bumping this to see if anyone's yet to try this new drug. Thinking of changing from Duragesic to something less expensive and wondered if anyone had tried it and any info on it. Is it in pharmacies yet? Doc's prescribing it yet?

Thanks!
chances are for the first three years or so it wont be cheap. at least until some generics are made. but as far as i know endo pharms will have a three year exclusive right to this particular formulation.

i do know that duragesic is NOT cheap however this wont be for a while either. i would highly reccomend discussing w/ your doctor, the possibility of methadone or morphine if you are looking for a cheap long acting med.

best of luck to ya

Old 08-30-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
(female)

TabbyKAT HB User
Unhappy Re: new hyromorphone drug "OPANA"

i was changed from oxycodone ER 100mg 3times a dayand valium5 mg 5times a day.To Opana 10 mg 3times a day and Opana 5 3 x aday and temazepame a30mg at night .I had just gotten back from Australia an my docs wouldnt give high doeses like there so im in bed in pain and going through withdrawls . For the next two weeks. I TOLD MY DOCTORE LAST TIME THE DOSAGE ISNT RIGHT I know they can titrate the dosage but my doc is doing it very slowly. i feeling hopeless and tired of being pain im only 22 i feel like in 60 i have already had a total hip replacement at 17 from complications of a rare degeneration of my hip called Legg Claves Perthisis. i have been diagnoised with severe neralgia of my righthip and have risidual pain that feels like someone stabbing me in the hip with a knife. i what of alll these druges but im afraid of the pain. i have a hard time dealin now.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
(female)

RobynD423 HB User

HI I'm new here and was excited to see this topic. My doctor prescribed me this drug last week, in fact, Walgreens had to order it which was over 7 days ago and I'm still waiting for it. I'll let you know as soon as I start taking it...

Take Care,
Robyn

Old 08-31-2006, 01:37 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Deeraysmom HB User
Thumbs up Re: new hyromorphone drug "OPANA"

Sorry here's more info...........

Old 08-31-2006, 01:38 PM   #10
(female)

jarin1988 HB User

What is in "OPANA"? If you said it in your post, I missed it. Thanks, Lynn.

Old 09-01-2006, 05:46 AM   #11
(male)

beebers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director

BTW, Opana is a extended release med of Dilaudid.
huh???

dilaudid is hydromorphone.

opana is oxymorphone

opana is NOT a extended release version of dilaudid

Old 09-12-2006, 07:42 AM   #12
(male)

Otter66 HB User

I thank everbody who posted to this topic in the past few weeks. I am stil waiting to see what the "first hand" experiences of this new paid med are. I am going into my monthly appointment this Thursday (Pain Clinic) and plan to ask the doc about this drug. I am curious about one thing. Since the previous extended-release Hydromorphone drug was such a disaster (taken off the market due to the alchohol issue), how does this new drug cope with the alchohol reaction? Remember Palandone?

I will update this thread with any info I get on Thursday

Closed Thread