It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User
dr not helping questons

Hi all,
I went to see my pm dr on friday,and as some of you guys now ,i am not getting pain relieve with my 2 10 nocro 4 x a day.He said that he doesn't like giving anything stronger and to tough it out. I am very angry.How can a pain dr not control your pain. So,i am looking for a new pain dr .other problem is i don't have any insur, so i have to pay cash and not alot of dr will take cash,but i am going to start looking for one. And now here comes the fear. If i am understanding right,i can go to a new dr appt,without asking for my records at my current pain ,just take my bottles in and see if a new one can help before i fire the old pain dr ? Because if i tell him i am shopping for another dr he could fire me first.I know i can't refill any meds from a new pain dr without firing the old is that right. Thanks guys i need some help.... kelsey

Old 08-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

scotty12 HB User
Re: dr not helping questons

you can look for a new dr without telling your current dr.
if you find a new dr then yes,you advise your old dr and cancel any refills on your current meds.

without insurance the only problem may be that the new dr wants you to try other modalities besides medication which can be expensive.
my doc has reduced rates for self pay patients but its still expensive.
im paying $325 for an epidural injection this week.

the way to go about it would be to look for a dr that offers treatments that your current dr does not,but it sounds like your just not getting pain relief from the meds.
thats fine and most dr's would understand but finding a dr who will just rx meds may not be easy,especially if there are tretments that you havent tried which may ease your pain.

good luck,scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

thanks
i have tried injections and i have went to phy therepy and to chropractor so i have done it all. i have a dr that i can go to i know from a friend,but will he want records cause how will i get them without telling my dr ? thanks kelsey

Old 08-07-2006, 05:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Kelsey,

Just send him a certified letter asking for your medical records for your personal records.Its a good practice to get in,having your records on hand,for personal use,traveling.When you receive these records,make copies,that way you have them on hand,when needed.
Your PM DR.should be controlling your pain a little better ,you deserve releif.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:38 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

DogMom22 HB User

Kelsey, I am kind of in the same boat in some regards. I have insurance which certainly makes a world of difference, but I am not getting the pain relief I need and I think a while back I shared a story about how I planned to handle trying to get this through to my PM that my tolerance to the vicodin has once again increased to the point where I felt things were out of control. I too want ot get a new PM and asked questions on this board how to go about it, but your question seemed to get much better replies than mine (I think you asked the question better). I do not have a diagnosis - they don't know what is wrong and I think it is important that I take with me all the information I have of everything I have tried, when and where and then a copy of my records from my current PM without them knowing I am looking at another PM so I don't get dropped until I feel safe I have found a new home. So first, I wrote a summary of when my pain started and all the things I tried, all the tests I had, who did them and when, the results, all the meds, etc. and time lined as best I could. Lucky for me most of my big test results (cat scans, mri's and ultra sounds are all at one hospital and I can get them without my PM knowing.) All my alternative therapy attempts I can produce the records if asked but am not planning to bring anything more than my summary to start with. Then for my current PM record, at my last appointment when the PM seemed reluctant to do much more (especially since they had done all the injections and tests that can be done) I asked if her were me would he go to a neurologist and he answered kind of strangley - he said whlie he couldn't tell me not to, he wasn't sure that I needed to. I told him that all along I had a plan to go to a neurolist next if my problem with my back, hip and groin could not be resolved and that is why I was asking. So he gave me the name of a neurologist (not a neurosurgeon) and it is not one that I am going to go to - but anyway I asked him then how I would go about getting a copy of all my records from their clinic and he said I could just call and get them - and then he said or you could just tell them what was done and your discogram was negative. Either way I know I can request the records and I will be needing them for the neurologist as I am going to go there but I am also going to see if I can find a new PM. This mix of meds I am on is not working, I am not getting adequate pain relief and then the stuff I am taking is making me confused and my brain is not functioning quite right (topamax). But when I reduce or stop the topamax I can't function at all - I just know I can't keep going this way and my current PM just isn't getting this - so I need to find someone I can communicate better with. Anyway, that is my plan, if I ever get off my you know what.
Good luck to you - not having the insurance must be horrible.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

There is absolutely no problem in obtaining all of your records,i do this all the time with all my many docs.some places don;t even keep your docs records there but are at a totally different facility.all you have to do is just call the docs office and ask them to send out a release of information document for you to fill out.this will also ask why you are needing them/usually little check boxes where you check the one that applies,this will ask for personal use or seeing a new doc and a couple of others.just check the "personal files or use" or however its worded.then fill out the rest,sign it,send it back,and within about a weeks time you will have them sitting in your mailbox.

just because you are requesting your own copies of all records would really not send up any 'red flags" to your doc at all.alot of people(like myself) just have to obtain their records just to try and stay on top of all their many seperate medical conditions,without me doing this like evry six months or so (depending on the docs I have had to see again)i would go crazy just trying to keep everything straight inside my head.anyone who has a chronic condition should be doing this,really.it does give you alot of insight as to what your docs real thoughts are about your conditions and about you in general.those clinic notes are priceless,lol.

just make that phone call and ask for their medical records dept.then keep calling and requesting like every six months or so,your updated medical files since you obtained them the last time.the releases are actually only good for one year,then you do the release stuff all over again.in most cases,you should not actually have to pay for any first copies of your records at all.although i have heard about other people who have had to pay some sort of fee which really is ridiculous since they are your records after all and you shouldn't have to pay for copies of them.but just be prepared incase they ask for some sort of a payment for them.i have never had to pay anything at the many many places I have gotten records from.i live in MN and maybe things are just that way here so who knows.

just make the call and don't worry about anyone finding out and causing you any problems.in most cases,no one in the actual office is even aware of what you are doing since it is usually handled by another dept entirely.good luck,i hope you can find one of the 'good' caring docs out there.please keep us posted.marcia

Old 08-08-2006, 11:33 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hifamily,
thanks so very much for your replies. I am going to call tommorrow to get a copy of my medical records. I love this board and all the friendly people on this .I really don't know what i would do with out it. i wish you all a pain free day,thanks again,kelsey

Closed Thread