It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
(male)

mdp3 HB User
Question best way to stop taking oxycotin

been taking oxycotin since january what is the best way to stop taking this med dont want take anymore it has ruined my life yes im still in pain and have 750 vicoden to take i know this not near oxycotin but will do till i have surgery at the end of the month i have tried to quit cold turkey and the pain and withdrawls are terrible thanks for any advice

Old 09-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: best way to stop taking oxycotin

The safest thing to do is to talk to your doctor about weaning you down on your dosage. It is something you want to do slowly over time in decreasing amounts to try to avoid going through withdrawals. Depending on the amount you currently take it could be just a few weeks or it could take months to actually wean down off the medication. You can take the advice of others but it is really in your best interest to get actual Medical advice from your prescribing doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I'm guessing you would like to be off the Oxycontin by the time you have surgery. You said the end of the month, so you have a little over two weeks. You could do a fast weaning, I suppose, with your Hydrcodone you probably keep it from getting too bad. Your doctor (and surgeon) needs to know though, as you might have some difficulties going into a surgery while withdrawing from Oxy. Even if you've managed to get off of it by then, you still will be on Vicoden and probably showing some signs of withdrawal.

Port-op they will most likely give you something stronger than Hydrocodone for a few days. This will definitely change all the withdrawing you have been doing to get off the Oxy.

I guess, now that I've said all that, I think you should talk it over with your doc before you do anything. I think it would be best to wait until after surgery. You are getting the Oxycontin by prescription, aren't you? I doubt your doctor will want you in any kind of condition that might affect the procedure. Let us know what you do.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:54 AM   #4
(female)

chebird HB User

I agree with Directer. You really need to talk to your surgeon. I wanted to get off of the oxycontin as well, but my surgeon said to wait till after surgery. He said we can taper in such a way that I won't have withdrwals. God bless, and let us know how you are doing.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:11 PM   #5
(male)

nick2k HB User

I have been looking for a way out for 12 years now . Tried quick detox that the medical establishment offers and cant take it ..doesnt work . I dont know what to do either ? I keep begging for a long term residential therapuetic community with a slow step down policy from the drugs chronic pain patients are on . It should first start with stabilizing and checking them over for medical problems that went unoticed while they were all mediciated up . New problems develop and are masked by the drugs so when you come down your hit with your pain ,,,cavities or tooth problems infections things you never knew were there as the opiates cover the pain of them too . Its a mess . Please somebody start a inpatient residential program thats long term and therapuetic community based . People are failiing traditional therapies and fast detox anyways . There is a big need for this at affordable cost . It works better not 100% but I know it works better . It takes a village.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:16 PM   #6
(male)

nick2k HB User

Depends on your dose but taper of 10 mg a dat per week if on low doses while taking zinc and mag supplements in double recomended doses is done by some . When you get to 10 mg next jump down to the 750's like one every 8 hours and keep dropping . Your right these are bad news . Good luck on surgery I hope it helps . I had a fusion and I want to take it back .

Old 09-20-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
(female)

trouble3906 HB User
Exclamation Re: best way to stop taking oxycotin

DO not try it yourself.I did.And wound up in Er with stroke symptms.Lost use of both hands. I think oxy is wonderfull for pain mine is cronic for 9 years.BUT its not something you can guess at or play with.Be careful.See doctor.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

wout HB User

Do some reseach on the drug suboxone, or subutex. It's a detox for morphine. My dr put me on it after my surgery and when I was ready to get off all narcotics. Oxi is very hard to detox from, but with the help of other meds, it makes it alittle easier.

Best of luck.

Tim

Old 09-21-2006, 09:42 AM   #9
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

Hey,

Did you guys read my post about how when asking for a release from my pain doc to another clinic and asking her to tirate me from the 20mg 2x day she was prescribing at the time while I was awaiting appointment with new clinic.

Read it if you get a chance. I asked her for 10mg script so I could tirate while waiting new pain clinic. She told me they dont make a 10mg Oxycontin (when before she had when we discussed tirating) and 20mg wasn't that much and IF I withdrawal just to use my VicES that I had for breakthru pain.

SO, she outright lied to my face. Fortunately my Primary said "Well, they make 10mg on the Planet I'm From..." and is trying to get me quickly into the new clinic.

HOW can doctors do that to a patient. Is 20mg NOT that much. She has put me in a position of withdrawal. I hope I can tirate successfully, but I have no clue as to how to handle the side effects. Anyone have any suggestions.

Someone mentioned magnesium and zinc - what doses? I guess I could research on the net... I'm so tired though....

removed

Do you guys believe in Sychronicity? - I came to this board Tuesday, DESPERATE because my pain doctor lied and left me hanging for possible withdrawal. I have found many post to answer my questions. Seems odd that these few days, when I need it most, there are post here to help me through.

I do believe in Sychronicity.....

Barb

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-22-2006 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Please do not post material that is not written by you (copywrite). Please read and follow the Posting Rules

Old 09-22-2006, 06:52 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

wout HB User

Read and do some research on my post before yours. I was taking oxi for about 2 years or more, and was deperate to get off of all meds. I found this doctor that gave me subutex. It was a long process but worked. try it, or atleast do the research.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:08 PM   #11
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigout
Read and do some research on my post before yours. I was taking oxi for about 2 years or more, and was deperate to get off of all meds. I found this doctor that gave me subutex. It was a long process but worked. try it, or atleast do the research.

Wig,

How much oxy were you being tirated from? My doc told me 20mg "wasn't that much" and threw me to the wolves. Is 20mg (even though Im tirating now with my Primary's script of 10mg) a high enough dose I should ask my primary about using subutex?

I just dont know. That's my problem. And since I no longer have a pain doc to turn to and my primary didnt seem too knowledge about treating pain as even she had to look up whether they made a 10mg dose, I really am afraid of what is in store for the next few weeks.

Will I have withdrawal symptoms on top of returning pain to look for?

Is subutex something I should consider? I just dont know. Maybe I should wait to see how severe my withdrawal should get.

Barb

Old 09-24-2006, 07:39 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

wout HB User

i was taking anywhere from 20 to 40 mg /day. Along with oxicodene. 40 to 120 mg a day. Now I had just had surgery on my back, so that why I was on so much oxicodene. Before it was just the oxicotin. The reason why I went on subutex was because my neighbor had told me about this doctor who treated patients for detox. Also, when I had surgery, the surgeon had said that I was a tough patient to medicate after surgery, because of the medication I was on. I had been taking oxi for about 2 years +. I have heard of people that have been on 100 to 200mg per day, or even more. Maybe they are lying too. The doctors are only aloud to prescrip max of 60 tab per day. I think the strongest tab you can get is 160mg. Some of the people here that post say that they take it 4 or 5 times per day. Don't think that is possible unless they are buying it on the streets.. Anyway back to your question. I detoxed on it in about 2 months. You will feel sick all over, but the subutex will help.

Tim

Old 12-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #13
(male)

nick2k HB User

IT is unbelieveable they do this and its legal . I have been lied to from the start of this therapy . I have seen people die of stroke some just can't tolerate a normal protocal taper and nothing else is supported unless you can go private at around 600-1200 a day unreal . Some people can't even step down at 10 mg a week on oxi . Others just can't taper without being in a nursing home having things done for them as daily needs will force them to take what it takes to get by . I have been on this therapy for years and never escalated my dose just lost function from it over time until its almost nil . After 12 years and tons of quacks with dangerous subjective ideas that could kill me I wont even trust going to emergency its not safe they might kill me . I had a friend C/T's and she suffered a stroke some people cannot tolerate anything but a very slow taper / They must be tapered over weeks even months with regular blood pressure checks and dosed to take it down if they go into extreeme anxiety . Society just says let them die now and ignores them . This is really sad . If you one of those people the campassionate pain Doctor will run from you leaving you suffering and God help you if you get into the hands of these Zero tolerence medication groups that often handle detox . AA / NA have killed thousands taking them off all medications by peer pressure . Sad all it takes is a therapuetic community that goes slow is supportive not corperal and is slanted towards lowering dosage to increase function long term with the optimum goal of total abstinance . Why we dont have affordable situations like this to help people I do not understand . I don't understand why its so expensive you need to be by acute nursing but most of this is simple reduction and anxiety control that just needs to be managed with help at a patients tolerence . IF you give people a goal of a 6 months to be clean with 6 months supportive sober living afterwards I bet the sucess goes to 90% from 17% currently and many can cut the time in half or less . However you will get 300% more participation if then know they have that long term support . If they fail after a year then penalize them for 6t months until they can return with 3 strikes your out just never tell them of this the first time . Never give up on people but don't even let them know they will have a second chance . This works . Love works over corperal punishment . Most of opiate users are chronic pain patients who used drugs becuase they couldnt get the assisted living or care they needed . It was insurance companies saving money that did this to them and now they have double the problems even life threatening ones it would of been better to just hospitalize them when suicidelly in pain then do this to them . Most opiate users after time have severe coverred up health problems preventing a normal detox protocal but nobody will spend the time and help them sort the mountain of little things that need fixing to allow detox to work .

Old 12-24-2006, 12:30 PM   #14
(male)

nick2k HB User

This medical system is bound to fail a person . Just this week I have seen two Doctors each disagreed with the other . I have to appease both but can't its impossible they are diametrically opposed . They will never know what the other is doing and i must suffer for their theories which are contrary to my personal experience and knowledge of dealing with my Chronic condition and opiates for 12 years . I know what I need just can't get it done and approved even with excellent insurance . I am on disabillity now too so money is a problem . At a point chronically ill must be put inpatient and work with the same doctors in one facility and have their function monitored and just made comfortable period over all esle . Sometimes that does not mean more drugs but a very slow taper with mood elevators to get through it .

Out patient does for singles or those alone it will not work its sad what we have done to our health care system our insurance policies lead to barberic paperwork problems the sick cannot manage so they get no care . Out patient care doesnt work either if your sick you just cant go period so you get no care and everything is so disorginized you go to new docs they dont have time to read files are take in all that info so they do the same things taht didnt work in the past . Common sense does not exist . I sometimes get jelous of condemed prisoners they get a easier way out then us decent people . Not that I want to die at least not this minute it changes from day to day . There is no reason for this its all poor medical care and improper opiate policy from people that have no idea what is really going on in the bodies and minds of people under this care . This is terrible with no way out but death , stroke late stage if you can still quit do it .

Closed Thread