It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
(female)

theweaver2 HB User
Question Does This Sound Like Any Cervical Nerve Block You Have Had? Feedback Appreciated

 Upon arrival at hospital I was told I needed someone to take me home after the procedure. Since I wasn’t told this when it was set up, I asked for the procedure to be fully explained to me When making the appointment at Dr. M office, I was given no information other than it was an injection containing some numbing agent and cortisone and that it would involve some mild sedation and done under x-ray since it was close to the spinal cord. I have had several cortisone injections elsewhere on my body over the past 3 years. No one told me the sedation would be so strong as to prevent driving. I had to call my husband to come to hospital once I got there.
 Once I was settled into my room Dr. T(?) came in and began explaining the procedure. Dr. M came in a couple minutes later and I introduced her to my husband, who was there by that time. Then she was called away. I was going to continue with the explanation of the nerve block with Dr. T but he was immediately called away also. He never came back to finish the explanation. All I had been told to this point, other than what I already knew, was that I would be positioned in a chair massage unit, resting my face in a cushion. I am familiar with those units as I have gotten massage for over 20 years. Dr. T explanation got no further than that. I had no idea it would be in a chair massage unit that kept collapsing and would be pushed against a table 3 feet from the floor.
 I was taken to procedure room waiting area and while there I asked to go to the bathroom before the block. As a nurse was helping me to and from the bathroom she noticed my consent form had not been covered. She quickly had me sign it.
 I was taken to the procedure room and transferred to a high narrow bed. I had to sit rather lopsided, however, because of openings in the table, so my posture was uncomfortable. A chair massage unit was rolled next to me. There were approximately 4-5 medical staff in the room, none of which knew how to position the head cushion. I knew more about how to do this than they did just based on my experience with massage.
 Each time they positioned the unit, it collapsed. At one point they covered the face cushion completely with a towel. There was no way I could rest my face in the cushion and breathe with the towel placed like that. With my level of frustration and fear at this point, I just took care of it myself and fixed the towel so I could breathe as no one else seemed interested.
 I kept trying to work with them and this unit. At this point I was precariously balanced on a massage unit that often collapsed and wasn’t steady. I finally refused to use it. My unease grew.
 Someone then rolled in a bedside table tray and placed a pillow on it. They asked me to rest my forehead on the edge of the tray, which was very uncomfortable, let alone the fact the tray rolled everywhere. I was close to tears by this point and just about to say “STOP”, get me out of here.
 At this point, Dr. M walked in and questioned what they were doing. She at first told them to get maintenance to repair the unit then she actually repaired the massage chair herself and got it somewhat steady, although I still did not trust the device. As I was feeling no effect whatsoever from any sedative they had given me and problems had been arising constantly since I’d arrived that day and I was feeling like I wanted to just walk out of the hospital at this point, I asked for another shot of sedative hoping it would calm me. I was staying trying to stay positive and hoping it would go smoothly the rest of the way. I had so much hope for this nerve block...
 I was allowed more sedative. Then the X-ray equipment didn’t work. Dr. M immediately ordered another machine.
 While trying to finally get positioned for the injection, Dr. M wanted the chair unit closer. They struggled with the unit for a minute, however, due to the table legs interfering with placement, I don’t think they ever got it close enough as they were trying to get me to move back closer to her. She had to then stand on a stool and reach over my back to my neck while I leaned completely to the other side of the bed, resting my head on a potentially unstable chair massage unit. It seemed to me a very awkward way for her to reach a very delicate area. I was definitely not in a relaxed, comfortable position and I don’t see how she could have been either as some of her weight was resting on my lower back.
 After the procedure one nurse asked me repeatedly if I had any allergies, to which I responded no. Her repeated questions didn’t actually connect with me until later when I remembered after the procedure I noticed both of my arms were red down into my hands to the knuckles, where the red stopped and my fingers were white. This went away by the next day. I don’t know if it had anything to do with the block, but feel I should mention it. Perhaps she had noticed this reaction and it was the reason she kept asking me about allergies after the procedure. Another thing I noticed while waiting in recovery was blood had seeped out around the needle. Perhaps this is common. I haven’t h ad that happen with IVs before. Some have infiltrated, and I know what that looks like. But since I really never felt sedated at any point, and blood was present under the tape, perhaps the needle became dislodged from my vein while I was bending my arm and trying to adjust myself on the table that had openings on it.
 My pain levels have increased tremendously since that injection. The pain for which the nerve block was to treat has persistently increased. Plus the neck pain I had a prior history with has also flared, triggering more severe migraines, which I spent years treating with botox injections to reduce in pain levels. Hopefully, the return of such burning shoulder/arm pain, neck pain, and increase in severity of migraines is a temporary set back.
I have written all the above out and am submitting it to you so that perhaps you will review your procedures for cervical nerve blocks at [removed]. Hopefully, no other patient will have to go through what I did that day. With the return of persistent high pain levels I experienced over the past 3 years, plus levels of pain I haven’t had major problems with for several years returning within days of the injection, it has to make me wonder if this procedure had been performed under optimal conditions, would my pain levels returned with such vengeance. I believe the staff and equipment should have been better prepared for this procedure. I felt as if I was an experimental lab rat. This experience was also potentially dangerous should that unit have collapsed while she was injecting me with a needle. Frankly, I feel Dr. M was just working with what she had at her disposal, and it wasn’t much in my opinion.

I received a feedback from from [****] where I had the nerveblock performed. This is what I am going to send them. I am just wondering, is this how cervical nerveblocks are commonly performed? I researched a little and what I have read that most are done in a prone position. I have had 2 complete blocks for shoulder surgerys and both of those were in my neck while I was laying down. Since I haven't had nerveblocks before I want to ask you guys if this experience sounds normal to you?

You always come through for me with answers guys.... hoping you can help out this time also

Barb

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-22-2006 at 10:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
(female)

jitteryme HB User
Re: Does This Sound Like Any Cervical Nerve Block You Have Had? Feedback Appreciated

I've had two cervical "nerve block" procedures. The first was an epidural steroid injection, and I was seated in a wheelchair for this procedure. There was a large arc shaped machine that I was seated in front of, which I assume was the flouroscopy machine. The injection was administered in the back of my neck. The second procedure was a cervical Medial Branch Block. For this one, I was seated on a gurney in front of the same arc shaped machine. I had three levels injected from the right side of my neck. I had IV sedation (Versed) which pretty much just made me feel calm. I was awake and coherent throughout. My blood pressure, heart rate and blood oxygen were monitored continuously for both procedures. I also had oxygen given to me.

Both of mine were very professionally done, and I felt utmost confidence in the PM doctor who performed them. The staff at the surgery center were also very kind and professional. Had anything seemed "off" or just not right like you've detailed, I know my anxiety levels would have skyrocketed. Thankfully, I feel very safe with my doctor.

Unfortunately, the ESI didn't help (but also didn't make matters worse) and the cervical MBB didn't block the facets we thought were causing my pain.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:44 AM   #3
(female)

theweaver2 HB User
Re: Does This Sound Like Any Cervical Nerve Block You Have Had? Feedback Appreciated

Thanks jittery,

What you described what I would have expected. A calm, professional procedure. Yes, they used a fluorescope and it was kind of U-shaped with paddles on the ends.

I'm sorry to hear you blocks did not help you. But on the other hand you pain, fortunately, did not skyrocket either.

I wonder how [removed]is going to respond to my feedback. I actually saw nurses shaking their heads after I was done... I know what happened to me was unprofessional and quite possibly dangerous.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-22-2006 at 10:50 AM.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:04 AM   #4
(female)

cindyx4 HB User

Hello:

Just curious: where is this hospital located?

Thanks.

Cindy

Old 09-22-2006, 06:48 AM   #5
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

[removed]

Please read the Posting Rules on How to Share information. You may not share information that may appear to be libelous

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-22-2006 at 10:53 AM.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:51 AM   #6
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

Oh crap Cindy lmao

I just now noticed you are in Dayton Ohio

So, that means you know exactly what hospital I'm talking about. You may have been one of the people there. Maybe you were one ONE nurse that actually seemed to be aware of what was actually going on with ME the patient that day as she was the one that noticed my consent hadn't been signed and repeated asked me "Do you have allergies?" After my block had been performed.

I received a feedback form from [****]and am sending this exact report to them.

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-22-2006 at 10:55 AM.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:59 AM   #7
(female)

cindyx4 HB User

Did you happen to see where I am from?! Thought that hospital sounded familiar. Now I am curious who you see. I am switching to a new pain mngmt doctor who is a female and is affiliated with [****]. Makes me nervous!

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I think I would have run.

Cindy

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-22-2006 at 10:54 AM.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:05 AM   #8
(female)

cindyx4 HB User

We posted at the same time. No, I wasn't a nurse there. I am definately a chronic pain person who is seeking help. BTW, I am new to the board and have never posted until I read your post. I am not new to pain. I have been in chronic pain for 2.5 years and am miserable. I was seeing a Dr. B in Kettering but because I was 10 minutes late to his appointment (and I called and was told it was ok) he refused ot see me. I left the office in tears. I want to switch but I want to make sure I switch to the right person.

Anyway, small world huh?!

Cindy

PS. I left feedback forms for **** many times but I never received feedback from them. I left some nasty ones too.

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-22-2006 at 10:54 AM.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:54 PM   #9
Inactive

donaeis HB User

Some of the nerve blocks in the neck are done lying on the back and some are prone, depending on what procedure. It appears there is more than one way to get into the epidural space, from the front or back of the neck.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:14 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

If it's any consolation I have had a few Cervical injections and have had them both sitting upright in a chair and laying face down on a table, I did not have sedation with any of them. None of the injections I had worked, in fact they made my problem worse. I do not think the position you were in would cause a problem unless the doctor could not guide the needle into the appropriate spot.

Injections only work in about 50% of the people who have them. And of those that it did not work for some of those have had residual problems after having the proceedure.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:00 PM   #11
(female)

BigMac HB User

Wow.....that does sound like a bad experience.
[removed]
the cervicals were all done prone and sometimes the patient was given a bit of Versed but generally no sedation was given. The procedure SHOULD be quick and the same as an epidural injection in the lumbar or lower thoracic region. I did like my patients to have someone to drive them home. Most of the docs required that patients have a driver but their offices fail to tell the patient.

Most times the office gave the pre-procedure instructions to the patient and we did not meet them until they arrived for their procedure. I can remember being furious when a patient who was in pain arrived and had not been told to bring someone to drive them home!

At least when one is prone you can relax and the medication can 'spread ' much easier than it will with the patient sitting up Sitting up none of the med can rise to the upper level of the epidural space, it all goes down.

It is possible your pain increased as it does many times during the first 24-36 hours as the medication is absorbed. This is more likely and worse when there is a lot of inflammation or an infringment in the area of the spinal cord.....

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-24-2006 at 08:29 AM.

Closed Thread