It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
(female)

theweaver2 HB User
I am tirating from Oxycontin - Is there anything I can take to help reduct reactions.

I have heard that zinc and magnesium are good... anythng else?

Barb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2006, 05:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: I am tirating from Oxycontin - Is there anything I can take to help reduct reactions.

Hey Barb, What kind of reactions are you having. Zinc and Mag may help with muscle twitching/ resltless leg while you sleep or help with constipation. Mag citrate is an extremely harsh bowel prep and you shouldn't use it daily. If that's not the problem your having, I'm not sure you can really take meds to prevent all possible side effects.Titrating slowly and simply allowing your body to accomadate to the new meds will reduce most of the side effects that are bothersome, but there really isn't a great way to spead the proces other than treating each side effect as it occurs. As far as preventing constipation there are other methods that don't cause severe cramping and possible dehydration.You want to have normal BM's not be ready for colonoscopy every day.
Pericolace. senna procuts like sennakot is very epensive wherer senna Tea is very cheap and so is Cascara segrada "Health food stoore supplement" for constipation.

Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 09-22-2006 at 05:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2006, 05:32 AM   #3
(female)

chebird HB User
Re: I am tirating from Oxycontin - Is there anything I can take to help reduct reactions.

Hey Barb, I'm with you. I had spine surgery and was dropped from 20mg oxycontin 2/day to a percoset with only 5 mg oxycodone 4X/day. On day two, I stared having a moderate case of diarhea, a little axiety, but not much else. The diarhea was a little better yesterday. I am taking 4 calcium tabs a day (333mg) which have the zinc/mag in them, and the only leg problem is stiffness due to having to sleep on my back in the same possition. I'm seeing my GP today who promised she would help getting me off this stuff;
I'll let you know what she says. God bless and heal well.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:58 PM   #4
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

I don't know what to expect. My pain is really bad today. I am on 20mg 10mg for another 4 days, then 10/10 then 10. I have vicES, but it doesnt do much. I am hoping the Lyrica Im trying to adjust to helps my buring pain.

I am having anxiety. The slightest thing like "where is my shoes" sets me into a tizz. Is that a withdrawal symptom? I don't know what to expect.

I awoke last night with a HUGE cramp in my stomach. Went away in a few. Was that a withdrawal pain because I only took 10mg that night lol.

Since my pain doc threw me away w/o mercy and my primary mercifully gave me 10mg for tiration, no one really has explained or help me know what to expect.

Im afraid and in pain. Thanks for your help. I will add some calciuim and mag /zinc maybe to my supplements.

Direahhha - hahahaaaa - I have been so constipated from drugs so far - it would be a nice change of pace.

Thanks guys - you don't know how much it means. I really don't think my husband even thinks about the hell I am about to go through for the next few weeks until I can get set up with a new pain clinic....

Barb

Old 09-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
(female)

chebird HB User

Hi Barb, my Gp doctor who put me on the oxycontin and said she would help me wean off told me today that she really doesn't know much about detox. Her nurse, however, seemed to think I was in withdrawal. I feel so much better today (day 4) I'm just going to let it go, and get my info here
So, no help on zinc, etc.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chebird
Hi Barb, my Gp doctor who put me on the oxycontin and said she would help me wean off told me today that she really doesn't know much about detox. Her nurse, however, seemed to think I was in withdrawal. I feel so much better today (day 4) I'm just going to let it go, and get my info here
So, no help on zinc, etc.

Hi Che,

How much are you withdawing from? I am tirating but still seem to be having withdrawal but can be certain. Tirating from 20mg. Have had much anxiety, nervousness, diareahha today (which is kind of relief since I'm usually constipated lol), get shakey but that might be from not eating too well.

Perhaps by the first of next week I will do better. I think if I can just get out and get some fresh air it will help My pain is increasing however and that is not good. I have new consult Oct. 3 and wonder if they will put me back on Oxy lol. I really need the pain relief until they can do some things to lower whatever is causing this pain. I have brachial plexus nerve entrapment, shoulder impingement, and thoracic outlet snydrome which cause severe pain down behind my scapula and wrapping around my rib cage.

Can't sleep on my right side for over 2 years. Finally doc gave me some Lunesta Weds and Im sleeping about 4 hours straight now w/o waking which for me is good as I usually wake every couple hours.

I need to be an an antidepressant I know for situational depression but my doctor didnt want to throw anymore chemicals into my body while Im trying to wean from oxy. She is prob right... Sometimes I just want to throw all my meds down the toilet and flush flush flush.....

I just am so tired from 24/7 pain levels of 7 and above....

Hope my withdrawal gets no worse than this and I will be OK...

Thanks for your reply.

Barb

Old 09-23-2006, 04:05 AM   #7
(female)

chebird HB User

I had a microdisectomy on Monday, and woke up in no pain (except surgical). I was cut from 40 mg oxycontin a day to 20 mg of oxycodin which is a 50% jump (duh) and a jump from a sustained release to a normal pill. I had exactly the same symptoms as you: nervousness, jitters, a feeling of doom. I am on a very low dose of xanax (.125mg/day) which I think is helping. I feel so much better today (even though I'm up at 2 in the morning. Have to take a break in being in the same possition - kind of stiff). I'm sure I get to go through this again when I get off this junk, but I won't go down 50%; I can go as gradual as I want. If what I have experienced in the past few days is it, then it is tollerable. I really feel for those who get the horrible flu symptoms.
It sounds to me like your medical reason is not resolved, but I don't blame you from wanting off of the meds. That's exactly why I opted for surgery - to get off the meds. I lost a sister to pain meds last March - methadone poisoning. God bless you, and may your withdrawals not be terrible. Apparently, not all are.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #8
(female)

Dame in Pain HB User
Re: I am tirating from Oxycontin - Is there anything I can take to help reduct reacti

Hi there,
In the past when I have been lowering my dose or trying to come off my opiates (tried twice, pain too severe) my doctor has precribed Chlonidine. It comes in pills and patches and in intended for blood pressure but has been found to reduce withdrawl - sweats, chills, muscle spasms, all the fun stuff.
I don't know how long you have been on opiates but in my experience it's a lot of work to come off meds - you will need a support system. People to help, massages, etc.
Best of luck

Old 09-27-2006, 11:13 PM   #9
(female)

dallas3_71852 HB User

Cascara sagrada "Health food stoore supplement" for constipation. They also have this at walmart where I live and it is really good it is what I use, it doesn't cramp you or anything, but when you have to go you have to go.. I have used this for years, and it is like 4.99 for a bottle of 100.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

wout HB User

If you know about subutex, then you might suggest that to your dr. If you don't know about it, then look it up on the net. Do some research on it. I can tell you from experience, that it helps. But you still have to ween off of that. Much easier.

Tim

Old 09-30-2006, 05:30 PM   #11
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

Just wanted to let you guys know I did have just a few days of "weirdness" from tirating. When calling my old pain doc's office about medical records, the gal there (who I loved btw) also suggested B-12 shots to help with the stress of withdrawal.

The weekend was strange, with both my feet wanting to bend backwards and my mind like a pin ball machine and one night spent waking about every hour for a "run" to the bathroom lol.

On Monday I got a B-12 shot (bought a series of 7, one a week). It was AMAZING... My mind calmed down as if I had taken a sedative lol. The calm lasted for a few days. I think the worst of the titrating is over and it only lasted a few days. But like some of you mentined, the return of this pain is a killer.

I would definitely say the B-12 helped. The literature says it nourishes the nervous system. Probably why it calmed mine down for awhile. Even my husband noticed my mind wasn't as crazed... lol

I see new pain clinic on Tuesday and I just know this pain has to be addressed in some fashion. Though I hate it, I will take the drugs if they help.

It is good to "phase out" for a while though. It really makes me realize the extent of my pain. #9-10 day in and day out.

I hope all of you found alternate relief... take care

Old 10-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #12
(female)

tlc6 HB User

Not that this is an addiction but I went to the addiction boards to get information on how to taper, what to expect in terms of withdrawal symptoms and what helps with what symptoms. I don't believe that we are addicted to pain meds at all but for those of us who have been on high doses of pain meds we need help and advice to help with withdrawals. I titrated very slowly and I'm down to one pill now. I am having more pain but I'm on neurontin and lodine to help with that. Titrating too fast is the last thing we need because having chronic pain on top of withdrawals is no fun. I hope things go smoothly for you. Terri

Old 10-03-2006, 06:42 AM   #13
(female)

chebird HB User

Hi all! Hey Teri, how on earth are you handeling 1 pill a day? I tried 2 pills a day and was basically in constant withdrawals. I went back to 3 yesterday (first day back to back) and am planning to quit cold turkey on Friday. I have two weeks off then. Do you think that going from 15mg percoset a day to nothing will be too much? I know many people do this without a thought, but Iv'e played the withdrawal game everytime I lower my dose (started at 60mg oxycontin/day). I'm really getting SICK of the diarhea, and I've lost a lot of weight (not a fun diet). I have no appetite unless I've just taken a pill. I just want to get back to the ever faithful ibuprofen for pain. It served me well until this last disk blowout. Barb, I'm glad you're doing better; I pray your pain would be completely gone. God bless.

Old 10-03-2006, 02:45 PM   #14
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chebird
I had a microdisectomy on Monday, and woke up in no pain (except surgical). I was cut from 40 mg oxycontin a day to 20 mg of oxycodin which is a 50% jump (duh) and a jump from a sustained release to a normal pill. I had exactly the same symptoms as you: nervousness, jitters, a feeling of doom. I am on a very low dose of xanax (.125mg/day) which I think is helping. I feel so much better today (even though I'm up at 2 in the morning. Have to take a break in being in the same possition - kind of stiff). I'm sure I get to go through this again when I get off this junk, but I won't go down 50%; I can go as gradual as I want. If what I have experienced in the past few days is it, then it is tollerable. I really feel for those who get the horrible flu symptoms.
It sounds to me like your medical reason is not resolved, but I don't blame you from wanting off of the meds. That's exactly why I opted for surgery - to get off the meds. I lost a sister to pain meds last March - methadone poisoning. God bless you, and may your withdrawals not be terrible. Apparently, not all are.

Che - ty for your response. Just saw new pain doc today and as I'm weaning from the Oxy, he wants me to start using methadone and, of course, first thing I see is that your sister had meth poisening... omg I'm so sorry.

He said it was an "old, tried and true drug" and that is had a longer "life" within your body which he felt I need becaue of my 24/7 pain. Apparently things such as vicodin and oxycontin have short life in body.

Fortunately, I think I am past the worst (and it really wasnt that bad) of my withdrawal. I think the scary part for me was not knowing ...

Sounds like your microdiscotomey worked. What is that btw?

Barb

Closed Thread