It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

cpapp31 HB User
Question Pain Meds & Diarrhea

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone take pain meds and have diarrhea? I know narcotics are supposed to constipate you, but I have the opposite problem. I have been having loose stools for a few days now, and a terrible pain right below my left rib.

I am on the Duragesic Patch. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
Cpapp31

Old 09-29-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: Pain Meds & Diarrhea

It sounds like it may have nothing to do with your pain meds, and may be a virus or other medical problem. How long have you been on the fentanyl? Is it new to you? I would see the doc for this problem. We can never assume that all of our symptoms are related to our medication. I hope you find out soon, and feel better! Let me know how it's going!

Aamnda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2006, 10:27 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

cpapp31 HB User

Hi Amanda!

Thanks for the response. I have been on Duragesic for about 3 years. I also have IBS, and I think I may be having a flair up. My pain levels are through the roof.

I am on the toilet all day long, my doctor prescibed Lomital for the diarhea. It has NOT helped. I have lower back pain (inopertable) and fell down the stairs yesterday. My tailbone is KILLING me.

I call my PC, she said if the Lomital and Librax is not helping, I will need to go to the ER. Any advice?

Thanks for listening,
Cpapp31

Old 09-29-2006, 01:26 PM   #4
(male)

Fibbles HB User

Morphine is what's made nearly all of my IBS symptoms and problems go away. I love not having to worry about taking Librax all the time or avoiding fruit and ice cream anymore

Has the patch caused diarhea before?

I'd go to the hospital. It could be a simple bruise or it could be something worse. I'd rather find out how bad it might be instead of doing nothing, especially if I were in pain. If it's nothing I'd hate to have to pay the ER bill, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm sure that if I fell down the stairs I would break a thing or two (my bones are way too thin and I've got osteoperosis).

Old 09-29-2006, 03:12 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

cpapp31 HB User

Thanks Fibbles!

Yes, I have diarrhea a lot, even with the patch. I know for most people it is constipating, but NOT me. I have tried MS Contin a while ago, and boy did it block me up. I can see where you don't have problems anymore.

When I slipped down the stairs I did hear a crunch. I can not sit on my bottom, I am leaning on my cheek to sit. This is very embarassing. My husband wants to wait until the morning before taking me to the ER, just to see if it gets better. But, I dunno......

Take care,
Cpapp31

Old 09-29-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
(female)

chebird HB User

I would go to the ER, or at least put a call in to your doc about the fall. Re the other, I too, have diarhea on pain meds, as well as a pain under my left rib. Maybe it is connected. Let us know how you make out.

Old 09-30-2006, 08:10 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

cpapp31 HB User

Hi Chebird!

I wondering if it was connected as well. I am glad that I am NOT the only one in the world that has diarhea from pain meds. My doctor insists that everyone gets constipated from pain meds.

Thanks for listening!
Take care,
Cpapp31

Old 09-30-2006, 09:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Cpapp,

I have IBS also, and stomach problems due to endometriosis on my colon. I found that Librax did NOTHING for me, but there is another med that helps me, AND my fiancee's irritable bowel. It is called LEVSIN and it comes in sublinqual tablets that dissolve under your tounge. It works for me when lommotil and librax don't. It is available in generic and is in-expensive. I love the stuff, and it helps with stomach cramps too, even without the loose stools. Sometimes it will stop an attack of loose stools from even happening to me. Ask your doctor. I hope it helps you!

Amanda

Old 10-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I've had IBS for several years and have tried all the normal IBS meds out there without any relief. My doctor put me on opiates about eight or nine years ago to see if I could get some relief from the pain and diarrhea. I started on Hydrocodone and have been on several LA meds and today I'm on Methadone. My IBS pain is also located on the lower left quadrant, near and under my left ribs.

The opiates control my IBS symptoms, but I also take Metamucil twice a day for the fiber. I have Lomotil to help, when needed and also Clolestyramine Powder to help with severe flair ups.

I know when I started taking the pain meds for my IBS there were several who posted on the IBS Board about the fact my doctor was over medicating me. I have never felt that way, even when taking Oxycodone, Oxycontin, Duragesic Patches or Meth. It is just a way I have to go to keep my diarrhea and pain in check. I also had a lung surgery for the removal of a benign mass about the size of a small orange. They had to remove two ribs to get to the tumor. Today, I still have chest wall nerve pain from the surgery. That makes the need for meds even more necessary and I take 60 mg TID with no break through meds.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:51 AM   #10
(female)

chebird HB User

Hey Amanda, what does the bowel endometriosis feel like? How is it diagnosed? My GP suspects I might have it. I have a constant pain under my left rib which gets really bad right about the time I start my period. They actually want to check me for cancer (which I don't think I have. Does cancer pain come and go? ). A low does of zanaz (.25mg) helps the pain even more than perc.Any ideas? Thanks

Old 10-03-2006, 08:09 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

are you on any other meds besides the duragesic?lyrica actually caused me to develop diarhea.marcia

Old 10-04-2006, 06:18 AM   #12
(male)

Fibbles HB User

IBS runs in my family and it's the diarrhea kind too. Librax helps the most of all the others I've tried except for one I can't remember the name of, but I have asthma and it's not advised in patients with asthma.

I too have to take fiber (chewable orange Fiber Choice tablets) daily or else I will get constipated up the wazzoo: I ran out and didn't refil last week and I swear it felt like rocks were stuck inside ! Everytime I forget to take them and get constipated I swear I will never forget, until I do forget! My IBS pain is primarily on the right side under my ribs and seems to travel down to my upper thighs, sometimes it moves into my upper chest.

It got so bad once a few years back that I ended up in the ER and the doctors thought it was my appendix about to burst! That was another nightmare because the radiology dept. head could not find my appendix with the ultrasound and I ended up having a barium enema (the most unfun thing I've ever had done) just to tell me it was gas/IBS related and nothing else

My mom has been trying to find a doctor that isn't so uptight about opiates for IBS (my PM doesn't know much about IBS and I get them for pain related to my skeletal disease).

Did you go to the ER or did the problem clear up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director
I've had IBS for several years and have tried all the normal IBS meds out there without any relief. My doctor put me on opiates about eight or nine years ago to see if I could get some relief from the pain and diarrhea. I started on Hydrocodone and have been on several LA meds and today I'm on Methadone. My IBS pain is also located on the lower left quadrant, near and under my left ribs.

The opiates control my IBS symptoms, but I also take Metamucil twice a day for the fiber. I have Lomotil to help, when needed and also Clolestyramine Powder to help with severe flair ups.

I know when I started taking the pain meds for my IBS there were several who posted on the IBS Board about the fact my doctor was over medicating me. I have never felt that way, even when taking Oxycodone, Oxycontin, Duragesic Patches or Meth. It is just a way I have to go to keep my diarrhea and pain in check. I also had a lung surgery for the removal of a benign mass about the size of a small orange. They had to remove two ribs to get to the tumor. Today, I still have chest wall nerve pain from the surgery. That makes the need for meds even more necessary and I take 60 mg TID with no break through meds.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:49 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

cpapp31 HB User

Hi Marcia and Fibbles!

Thanks for responding, I did go to the ER. What a waste of time. These doctors need to get a gripe and educate themselves on how to deal with chronic pain patients. Yes, I am on Duragesic, yes, it is strong, but NO it is not helping my pain.

The doctors look at your chart, see that you are on Duragesic, and practically run from you. It's NOT fair. They don't understand chronic and acute pain are very different. Not to mention, the ER doctor had the nerve to say to me "You are on a very strong medication for such a small women". I am 5'0 tall and weigh 120lbs, and believe me I was offended. The worst part is I never got to see the doctor, the person I saw was a PA. But, I am had to pay a copay for the doctor, that is also unfair.

Take care and thanks for listening to me,
Cpapp31

Closed Thread