It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
(female)

scrapper1 HB User
Ambien and Talking in my Sleep

Since I started taking Ambien, I have been having conversations in my sleep. I wake up noticing them. Does this happen to anyone else? My husband thinks it's a hoot!!! Good think I am not hidding anything!!!

Old 10-09-2006, 12:02 AM   #2
(female)

kittencaboodle HB User
Re: Ambien and Talking in my Sleep

Not only would I carry on a 'conversation' with hubby....not that anything made much sense (like "why are the members of our band carrying a fish tank thru our bedroom?"hahaha).....but I would also 'sleep-walk' after taking the dr's recommended dose (10mg-20mg) at night. One night, hubby found me out swimming in our pool at midnite. Not a good thing to be doing while 'under the influence' of this med. I finally quit using them and would rather forego what sleep I would actually get from them (which wasn't much after a while) than find myself in precarious situations such as these. Hubby thought the conversations at first were funny, but then realized how dangerous I was becoming to myself by not knowing what I was actually doing at times. And I would hardly ever remember what I had said, much less remember some of the things I was doing...like trying to get into my car to go grocery shopping at 3am one time.....

I have heard about others having incidences similar to mine as well. I finally just switched over to either Restoril (temezapam) or once in a great while use a Xanax (alprazolam).....both were prescribed by my physiatrist when I told him of my "escapades" with the Ambien. I don't know if the Ambien 'ER' has a better track record or not, but I'm still a little gun-shy to even try it. I personally am staying as far away from the Ambien products as possible. But that is just me and everyone is different. Good luck while using it if you continue to do so and please be careful & vigilant. I will be curious to read any other posts from Ambien users, past & present, to see if we are a minority or majority with this med.

Take care.....Kitt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2006, 07:39 AM   #3
(female)

scrapper1 HB User

I am only taking 5mg each night so hopefully it will just stay at conversations but I did tell my hubby what to watch out for and if I do get up then I will discontinue immediately. Thanks...looking for more of you if there are any.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:37 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

Scrapper, I've taken 5 mg Ambien for a couple of years, and it does a reasonably effective job putting me to sleep.

I don't take 10 mg, because at that level I do tend to talk some in my sleep - doesn't bother me but my wife objects.

And I can't imagine what 20 mg would do. That's a mighty potent dose.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi - I was taking Ambien 10 mg. for a few months but found that I was getting up in the middle of the night and eating left overs from the fridge. If I couldn't find anything there, I guess I was looking thru the pantry for snacks. Of course the problem was I didn't remember that I was doing it. I was totally unaware of my midnight snacking until the next day when I would find the discarded wrappers and dirty dishes in the sink! So... I stopped taking it for about 9 months. Just last week I was struggling with my sleep issues again and decided to get my prescription filled. I've taken 5 doses and haven't had a recurrence of my nightime snacking yet. I guess I'll wait and see if it happens again. The med really does help me get to sleep and I seem to stay asleep throughout the night. Hope I can continue to take it. Take care - KathyMac

Closed Thread