It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

bjeanne HB User
roxicodone vs. percocet?

Can anyone shed some light on the difference? Am I correct in the fact that they are basically the same, just Roxi has no aspirin? I'm having terrible, stomach sharp pains ALOT, This will be my second month, starting Friday, being switched from Hydrocodone to Percocet and Ive been stomach stick the whole time? Does anyone think I should ask for the Roxicodone? Or does anyone suggest anything different. I have a torn disc, spodylosis, permanent nerve damage (secondary to a right ankle tendon reconstruction surgery) and horrific fybro.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm scheduled for perm SCS on 11/13, Im just wanted to ask Dr. for something else for this next less than one month to "save my stomach".

P.S. He's NEVER put me on a long acting opiate.. doesn't "believe in them" and I'm soooooo scared of the pain post perm SCS implant because of my anatomy I have to have discograms up my spine to fit the implant paddle in (the wire wont work for me) and Im sooooo afraid my pain from that surgery wont be covered since my pain isnt really being covered now???

Thanks in advance for any help

Barb

Old 10-18-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: roxicodone vs. percocet?

Hi Barb: Let me try and explain the meds to you. Hydrocodone to Percoset, means you changed to Oxycodone plus apap (Tylenol). That is what makes up a tab of Percoset. If you change to Roxicodone you would be getting plain Oxycodone, no apap (Tylenol). I doubt it is the apap making you sick as it's in Hydrocodone as well. It is most likely the Oxy, so switching to Roxicodone would be the same as Percosets without the Tylenol.

I hope I made some sense to you. If not, ask and I'll try again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2006, 12:28 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

bjeanne HB User

Thanks. . . I though percs had aspirin in them, I didn't know it was Tylenol? Do you think there is any difference in pain relief between Roxicodone and Percocet?

Thanks much!
Barb

Old 10-18-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Percosets are definitely the more stronger of the two meds. Oxycodone is quite a bit stronger than Hydrocodone, which by the way, have various amounts of apap in them. From 325 mg to 750 mg (I'm not sure on the top figure). As far as the Aspirin, you might be thinking of Percodan. They have Aspirin in them.

Percosets and Roxis should be about the same as long as the Oxy amount is the same. Roxicodone though comes in 5, 15, and 30 mg. That is pure Oxycodone. So in general, Roxis are usually the stronger, even discounting the apap in the Percs.

Last edited by RetiredDirector; 10-18-2006 at 03:57 PM.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:56 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User

Oxycodone and asa is called Percodan in canada,oxycodone with tylenol is called Percocet...Dave

Closed Thread