It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Pharmacy made the mistake

My hubby dropped my meds off to be refilled and picked them up.When he brought them in I noticed the containers were larger than normal.The lady at the pharmacist had over filled the scripts.The tizanidine was a script for 120,it was filled for 210.The oxy was filled the same way.She had reversed the numbers.Me being honest called the little local pharmacy and ask if this was a mistake or did my neuro redo the script.It was an oversight on the pill counter.She laughed at first then got nasty,stated if I didn't return them immediatly they would call the local authorities.This was not a good day for me,I'm having an MS relapse and right leg isn't supporting me,so there I go to the pharmacy.I talked to the owner the actual pharmacist and explained the situation and how I was intimidated,it was there mistake.This pharmacist and owner could of gotten in a lot of trouble by some idiots mistake.The pharmacist was very appreciative of my honesty,he ask what I had done to my leg,I told him it was a MS relapse,he wasn't aware of the MS.
The lady assistant acted like I had made the mistake and that I abuse my meds.I am on high doses of muscle relaxers daily (this particular pharmacist assistant always complains about the muscle relaxers doseage)and the oxy is used only when I have a MS flair up.The flair ups cripple my legs from the pain.I usually use vicodin when needed for the normal MS pain.
I just needed to vent.This lady made the mistake but made me fill like I was the pill pusher.

Toni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: Pharmacy made the mistake

Hi Toni: I think you should be commended for calling and then returning the meds that the Dyslectic Pharmacy person filled wrong. I think a lot of people would not have been so honest. Thank you for telling your story and I find your honesty refreshing in this day and age!!

Last edited by moderator2; 10-27-2006 at 05:05 PM.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Director.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:52 PM   #4
Inactive

labshark HB User

Toni,

It's totally unethical for a pharmacist to A) ask what you are being treated for, and B) for the phamacy tech to complain about your dosages.

I think your best bet is to find a new pharmacy that respects it's patients.

Good Luck,
Eric

Old 10-28-2006, 11:47 PM   #5
(male)

hastrix HB User

Nothing wrong with being honest.I thought it was against pharmacy policy to use a pill counter for narcotics.I though they had to count controlled sub.themselves.I know when i get my med.,its my pharmacies policy to count them twice[two different peaple]

Old 10-29-2006, 09:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Eric,

It wasn't the pharmacist/owner who questioned dosage and combinations it was an assistant that who has just come out of school.Some young whipper snapper that has alot to learn.This pharmacy is a nice little home town pharmacy and guarenteed I won't deal with this kid again.I will the pharmacy and I'll go directly to the owner.It was the same kid that filled an antibiotic that could of been deadly mixed with the muscle relaxers I take.I knew a head of time to stop the one muscle relaxer before taking the cypro.

Nastrix,

I don't know the protocol for counting meds in my state.I will check into it.The owner was very upset by the whole ordeal.He runs a very tight ship,he works with local colleges and has interns that work with him.This time he has a real yo-yo.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:27 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

charliecat31 HB User

I think it's great that you called the pharmacy - I would assume there are many people out there that wouldn't have. For the pharmacy to treat you this way is appauling. Have you considered calling the manager or if it's a chain, the home office. They need to be aware of the mistake THEY made and the way you were treated.

No matter what - be proud of yourself for your honesty!

Old 10-29-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

Hi nuffs3! It wan't nastrix who replied,it was me[madhatter] When i replied,i thought i was logged in but my friend was still logged in[i'm using his computer]Anyway,maybe the pharmacist was a little inbarrassed that he[she] made a mistake,and figured you wouldn't know,and blammed it on the pill counter-lol But that was very honest of you,i'm sure you saved them a big hassle,becuase sooner or later it would of showed that they were short of that med they over counted.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Charlie cat,

Yes I talked with the owner,head pharmacist.I've known the family that operates the pharmacy all my life.I'm sure he chewed some butts on this one.The DEA is very strict in my state when it comes to class II meds.We'll see how they act tomorrow when I get another med refilled.

Madhatter,

Hello,I don't like getting anyone into trouble,I was just being honest.When pharmacy's make mistakes they need to know.It was the pharmacist assistant that was the real A**.I know many of the clerks in that store and I didn't want any of them to be accused because of missing meds espacially narchotics.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:17 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

I agree,like i mentioned,your honesty saved probably a lot of false acusations that [most likely] would of been made to the pharmacist,the tech. etc.But,what if it were the other way around,say they made the mistake of shorting you,you think they would of believed you?

Old 10-30-2006, 02:09 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

What a disturbing situation! I applaud you for keeping a calm head about it all and doing the right thing, you not only saved yourself from wrong dosages but your handling it fully just might have saved a life! What if the same intern had read the numbers wrong and filled a Rx for a child, giving double doses instead of single and the parents did not know the difference?

Your story is also a lesson to us all to write down the dosage amt. before handing in the Rx and checking the bottles and pills that we get... there is actually a shortage in many areas for qualified pharm. assistants and some places might be taking whatever they can find.

Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your experience with us.

Closed Thread