It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2006, 04:10 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User
i need help with driving while taking meds

I am soo very upset let me explain what happen today. I was at work i work at a resturant anyways cops come in there everyday (2 different sets of them)the same ones,i wait on them everyday and today one set of the cops overheard me talking to my co-worker about how much pain i was in today,and told her i took one of my pain meds about 4 hours ago(a good friend not just a co-worker)anyways about 15 mins later they ask her how i was getting home and do they let me drive like that? she said yes why,and the cop yelled for me and asked me how i was getting home and i said driving she said no your not you are higher than a kite,and ask me when the last time i took the meds i told her,and she said if she seeing me drive that she would pull me over and i would go to jail. I am so mad because i have been on this med and she never said anything before she was sitting in there tonight for 3 hours and never said a word til she overheard about the med.the cop that said the most was the sargent .I know the other set of cops very well and i am going to talk to them tommorow about this the are from different stations and don't even like each other anyways . I am on oxcodone 30 mg up to 8 a day itake 3 a day and cut them in half so i talk 15 mg every 4-6 hours. They said it didn't matter that i was on it
legal if the think i was messed up i would go to jail. My manger and my co-worker said the didn't know what the were talking about i was fine .So what am i supost to do i have no other way to get back in fourth to work and i work 3 rd shift so no buses. I know they are going to mess with me because they said if they
pulled me over they would **** test me and if meds showed up i get a dui so even if i take the meds 6 hours before i go to work and when i get off work it would still be in my system,don't i have to be driving messed up to even get pulled over ? but they know i am on meds now so now what i can never drive again? any suggest ? what can i do? please help me thanks kelsey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
(female)

msswank95 HB User
Re: i need help with driving while taking meds

you can refuse the test. maybe you can get some info from your doctor or get him/her to call them and explain the process of chronic pain management and how the meds affect us.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hi Kelsey: Yes, you can refuse the test and as far as I know, in most states, if you do refuse, you lose your license and go to jail. Technically, all of us that take opiate pain meds are driving DUI. I've know for a long time now that my Methadone makes me that way and even if I don't feel "high", I am if they test me. Methadone makes it very difficult to drive long distances as you get very sleepy, so I have to have my wife drive or not take my meds.

I really don't know what to tell you, but the cop was absolutely right as far as you being DUI and it would be the pits if they pulled you over. I drive very carefully around town. I am on SSD, so I'm at home being a house husband and my wife still works. We are very near retirement age, so I have to drive to do daily things. The store, doc appointments, etc.

Please be careful and let us know if you find out any more info on this "problem" we all deal with daily. If Gabe 30 is around maybe he can jump in and give some advise. He is a disabled cop.

Last edited by RetiredDirector; 11-17-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Kelsey,

I don't know what state you live in,but here in OHIO as long as you can prove they are prescribed meds by your DR they can not get you for a DUI.You need to call the cheif or whom ever and discuss this with them.Theres many of us that take several meds that could infact impair our judgement when driving.
In any event don't take the test.You have legal rights.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Ohio recently passed a law, along with many other states, that if you are on narcotics, prescribed or not, and are driving and the police believe you to be "under the influence" you will be charged with an OVI. In fact they changed the name from a DUI to OVI (Operating a Vehicle under the Influence). Proving that your medication is prescribed does not make a difference now as it once did due to recent law changes. You will still be charged with an OVI if medication appears in your bloodstream. This is true of nearly every state there is. The only good defense in going to court is having a good attorney.

The original law was written for those who were abusing medication, taking medication not prescribed to them and illegal substances, it changed along the way.

Unfortunately your biggest mistake was talking about your medication to anyone, let alone when police are withing listening distance. If you refuse the "pee" test or the blood test you immediately go to jail and loose your liscense, period.

Unfortunately many Police are unethical and enjoy giving some individuals a difficult time. It seems that someone has decided today is your day and that is sad. Is there anyone who can help you get to and from work or is there any chance you can get your shift changed? I know it is an incovienance for you, and in a way it isn't fair, just or right that the laws did change, but you really need to be careful. It's not beyond some police to make you their favorite target.

I hope things work out.

Last edited by Kissa; 11-17-2006 at 12:40 PM.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hi All: So what's the answer? BTW, I just got home from going to the store, actually I had to go to two stores and yes, I drove myself. It's just not practical to not drive at all and Kissa was absolutely right when she mentioned about talking about it with the police in there.

What I really want to know, is what this police officer doing sitting in there for three hours!!! From the way Kelsey wrote it, it sounds like she was on duty at the time. Hmmmm...maybe you could work a deal with the cop. You don't stop me and I won't tell your superiors you sat in the restaurant for three hours while on duty, protecting the citizens of our fine town!!

I really would like to hear what others think about this and driving while on pain meds. Has anyone been stopped and charged? Has anyone had any problems in this area? What is the answer?

Old 11-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

You need to gauge how the meds are doing in your system before driving....

If you feel like your "normal" self - I wouldn't worry about it tto much - but if the meds are making you a little drowsy or something I wouldn't chance it.

Director - remember Gabe - the former officer? he did confirm that people can get dwi/dui's while taking cough meds that are over the counter - like nyquil....so stronger prescription meds are also in.

Last edited by curiousforever; 11-17-2006 at 03:51 PM.

Old 11-17-2006, 03:51 PM   #8
(female)

msswank95 HB User

well, i think they have to have reasonable cause to pull you over - swaying, driving below or above the speed limit, etc. not just because of a heard conversation. does he/she know you are on it chronically or just took it that day?

i would tell her/his superiors how much time he/she spends in the restaurant.

what really boils my blood is how he/she said you were as high as a kite - WHAT? i know i have never been as high as a kite on my meds. good grief.

and since it had been more than four hours you wouldn't be "high" anyways.

this really just pisses me off.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

I think they can pull you over if they overhear you giving them "cause"....it's like admitting to drinking before hopping into your vehicle....

Matter of fact - in Dallas they were arresting drunk people in a BAR!

Glad I don't live there anymore - but then again I don't drink anymore anyway.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

thamks for all the help. I am still soo very angry,and by the way the sargent wouldn't get into trouble for sitting there for 3 hours . I have made have rides to and from work it still is going to suck because i have to wait for someone else.If i felted high i would have never drove to begin with,there has been times where if i feel like the meds are making me to sleepy i don't drive . This was not the case ,but i do know she is going to mess with me so better safe than sorry for right now but i would still love to hear what others think about thid topic. thanks again kelsey

Old 11-17-2006, 05:07 PM   #11
(female)

msswank95 HB User

i live outside of dallas.

the idea of this does worry me.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Kelsey,

I talked to my bother- in- law tonight who is an officer of the law and sadly to say it seems to be a state law in the majority of the states that you could be charged with OVI.He doesn't agree with it.
He made a valid point when a person is on prescribed meds around the clock,even though you took it 8-12 hours earlier it would still show in a pee test,even though it was out of your system.These laws are to protect everyone,but like he stated there needs to an understanding when it comes to the public that have to have these meds to be able to function.

Kelsey I got pulled over a year ago for speeding,state patrol,he made me get out of my truck.I had just gotten my leg braces and learning to function with them.He ask what I needed them for.I stated I had MS and I had to have them to help in drop foot in both feet.He took my license on the spot.I had to get a letter from my neuro and my electro-muscular Doctor and take a coarse through physical therapy to say I was capable of driving.I was steamed.If it wasn't for my hubby being with me they would of impounded my truck.

This thread has been very helpful,I never give my meds a thought until now and after talking to my brother in law.I take 2 muscle relaxers,vicidon oxycontin and valium.I drive everywhere.I have to,having 4 children plus Dr appointments.

This is a real eye opener.
Thanks Kissa for the update on Ohio laws,After moving back to Ohio after 15 years I never give the laws a thought.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsey1
thamks for all the help. I am still soo very angry,and by the way the sargent wouldn't get into trouble for sitting there for 3 hours . I have made have rides to and from work it still is going to suck because i have to wait for someone else.If i felted high i would have never drove to begin with,there has been times where if i feel like the meds are making me to sleepy i don't drive . This was not the case ,but i do know she is going to mess with me so better safe than sorry for right now but i would still love to hear what others think about thid topic. thanks again kelsey

The doctor can even get into trouble if you're caught from what the j erk doctor told me.

I think it's bull too - mainly cause we are ONLY able to function because of the meds - and since it takes care of the pain -we don't get HIGH from them.

I'd probably just make sure you don't leave in your vehicle while those cops are there - do they know what vehicle isyours?

And - if you're diagnosed with nystagmus (sp) KEEP THAT PAPER IN YOUR GLOVE BOX. That is something they check for if they suspect you're under the influence - the thing they do with the pen - follow it back and forth. If your eyes jerk around - they believe you are under the influence.

Last edited by curiousforever; 11-17-2006 at 07:47 PM.

Old 11-18-2006, 12:35 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

djemcee HB User

I am a total freak about drunk drivers. My mom was hit by a drunk driver prior to me being born, and was very messed up from it.

I never drove drunk in my life. Not even as a teenager. But then I read this post and never ever thought of myself being under the influence while driving. I guess because I don't feel under the influence of anything while I drive. I feel normal even though I am on a 50 ugh Duragesic patch and percocet for BT. I have been taken pain meds for over 15 yrs., so I don't really even pay much attention too it. I just act the same as if I am taking a vitamin.

But I wonder if I was pulled over for speeding and the officer spotted the patch on my upper arm, and knew what it was, if I too could be cited and possibly jailed for DUI or OVI or whatever. I live in California and I am not sure of the laws here. I guess I need to do some research. I would be devistated to get a citation. Could you imagine my insurance. Could you imagine never driving again. I can't stop my pain meds for the rest of my life. There is no way I could be productive without the ability to drive.

This has really put a thought in my mind. What if I was in a fender bender and they realized I was on meds. Would I be at fault. This is scary!

The other thing that I do that probably is not smart is carry a mix of pills in a little pill holder. If I was pulled over, and they searched my car, they would find a pill case with a mix of pain killers. I can't see carrying the bottles as they are large and I really don't want people getting in my car looking in the glove box and seeing a small pharmacy! I try to keep pretty private about it.

If I find anything out about the California laws, I will post ASAP.

I think someone was right when they said "don't discuss your meds with people at work or aquaintances, and especially loud enough that people around you (especially cops) can hear you!!!!"

Old 11-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Hi all,I live in lou,ky . I wanted to add the pain meds will show up for a week does that mean even if i don't take it for 2 days i am still dui if i get pee tested ,i know with alc it has to be the above a certain % shouldn't they have to get blood test to find our levels because 8 hours later i there should only be a small amount left,the half live of my med is 4 hours ? I seen the cops last night again and just thank them for letting me know cause just to make nice.And if i am dose every 4-6 hours after the 6 hours i should no longer be dui? It sucked getting a ride i am only going to do this for 1 week and i am going to start riding my car again i just won't leave at the same time ? this sucks thanks everyone,kelsey

Closed Thread