It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
(male)

whitfield HB User
Fentanyl Patch Sandoz vs Mylan?

I am still fairly new here but some of you know I am on the 100Mcg Fentanyl Patch made by Sandoz--have been for several years--Changed insurance with the new year and got my first 3 months of Patches today and they are made by Mylan--Pharmacist said that they were fine--looking at them, they look quite a bit smaller--how can they possibly have the same rate etc.--In the others you can see the medicine---In these you cannot--must be mixed with the glue? I like the fact that they are smaller, but remain suspicious--hehe Anyone with experience on changing generics in patches? Thanks--Roger

Old 01-15-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User
Re: Fentanyl Patch Sandoz vs Mylan?

Dear Roger,

I never experienced such a crappy, painful month as I did when the patches first went generic. My pharmacy had the option to order either form of the generics (Sandoz or Mylan) as it pertained to my insurance agreeing to pay. I had no reason to suspect anything inferior about the Mylan Patch, but I went through an entire month of hell. I assume I went through withdrawal or something similar. Not only did I experience withdrawal symptoms, but I started having all of my pain problems returning to their pre-treatment levels.

My pharmacy buys the Sandoz 75 mcg patches for me--3 boxes per month. However, everyone else who gets their patches there uses the Mylan type--with the exception of a few patients still using the actual Janssen Brand Name. I guess I'm the only patient at my pharmacy who can tell the difference. The Sandoz version is made by the same company who makes the brand version (Janssen). So, they are practically identical--including having the "goo" in the patch.

The Mylan patch has another form of administration because--as you indicated--it really appeared to be bone-dry!

I've gone on and on. To sum it up...The Mylan patch does not work on me--not one iota. The Sandoz patch works as well as the Janssen Brand, which it should since they are both manufactured by the same lab! However, quite a few others will adamantly attest to the success rate they've experienced with the Mylan patch. Go figure!!

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

Last edited by conductor; 01-15-2007 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Sentence revision.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
(male)

whitfield HB User

Thanks Jon--Guess I will find out--will start the Mylan tomorrow so will know soon enough--Still have some of the Sandoz left--will save just in case--really hope these Mylan are OK--don't know what I could do if they are not as good (at least as far as insurance goes)--maybe different pharmacies carry different ones? Well, if I have an experience like yours, I will definately call insurance company and see if I can exchange or whatever--Thanks again
Roger

Old 01-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

I use the Mylan, and do good with them, and i like the size. I tried the Sandoz, and I recall now that I think they worked a little better. They felt stronger!~
Good luck, let us know what happens!
xoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 01-17-2007, 12:39 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

djemcee HB User

I started on the Mylan and hated them. I though something was wrong, like I wasn't putting it on right or something. It felt like I put a peice of tape. I just couldn't beleive there was anything in it. My PM doc told me when he first prescibed the patch to use the non-generic only. He even expressed with a tone that he did not want me to use the generic as he has never has sucsess with his patience on the generic. Well when I went to my pharmacy with the script, they only had generic, SUPRISE, not. That is all pharmacies like to have is generic (less money out of there pocket to stock and bigger profit margins). Anyway I took the generic with no choice. Low and behold they stunk. I went back to my doc after a 2 week try and told him they stunk. He asked why did I get the generic and I told him the reason. He said go back and get non-generic (the ones where you see the goo). Well what a difference a goo makes!

Much better. and stick much better. The non generic was off in a day. These non-generics janssen stick so good, sometimes I can't pull them off.

Cali Chris

Old 01-17-2007, 05:08 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

cpapp31 HB User

Hello Everyone!!!

This is a touchy subject, because everyone is different. My personal experience is when I tried the Mylan generic, I went into severe withdrawals. After a couple of days, I called my doctor and explained what was happening. He told me he had so many complaints about the generic fentenyl that he only prescibes the brand name to all his patients that are on that med.

I was so upset about what happened that I contacted the FDA and filed a report against Mylan Brand generic. Obviously it didn't do ant good because the product is still out there.

Take care,
Cpapp31

Old 01-17-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
(male)

whitfield HB User

Hi All--
The funny thing is that I have been on the generic made by Sandoz and they are identical in every way to the name brand Duragesic--even made in the same factory I think--I cannot tell the difference--But these Mylan brand are quite a bit different--Unfortunately, I just picked up 6 boxes for my 3 month supply--they do work for me--just not as well--I am going to ask the pharmacist if he can get the Sandoz next time (Probably less profit for him, as I know the Sandoz are only slightly less expensive than the name brand Duragesic)--Today is day 2 with the Mylan brand for me and absolutely are not as effective--wish they were because I like the size!
Roger

Old 01-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

I went today to refill my patches. IM on the mylan brand. My doc said to get the brand name because they stuck better, if I wanted. So I priced them, and there was 100.00 difference if I got the brand. So I stuck with the mylans Now I wish I would have tried the brand name. or the Sandoz, sounds like they work better.
xoxoxoxoo,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 01-17-2007 at 02:03 PM.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:09 PM   #9
(male)

whitfield HB User

I do not like them--called pharmacist and he will exchange them--I will have to pay the difference--6 boxes--Ugh--glad I have some leftover--I think the amount will be about $25/box if I calculated correctly, but at least I will get the Sandoz--Much, much better it seems to me--no comparison!
Roger

Old 01-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

I know, I think ill change next time. I wish I would have today. Let me know what you think ok?
xoxoxoxox'
Izzy'smom

Old 01-17-2007, 08:59 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

djemcee HB User

Like I said the Generic is compared to a peice of scotch tape sticking to you. Not much of a difference. I actually think the scotch tape works better

Old 01-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #12
(male)

whitfield HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by djemcee View Post
Like I said the Generic is compared to a peice of scotch tape sticking to you. Not much of a difference. I actually think the scotch tape works better
Funny thing is that the Sandoz IS a generic--but identical in every way to name brand--Now, I am reading about a 3rd type that is in the approval process with FDA--on my way to pharmacy to change out the Mylan (worthless to me) and get the Sandoz.
Roger

Old 01-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #13
(male)

whitfield HB User

Well, went to pharmacy and they took back the Mylan--ordering the Sandoz for me, will have next Tuesday--just have a higher co-pay--$100 instead of $30 for 6 boxes--well worth it to me!

Old 01-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

cpapp31 HB User
Wink Re: Fentanyl Patch Sandoz vs Mylan?

Hi Everyone!

The thing about the two generics is that if you are started on the Mylan, then you may not know the difference between the Sandoz or Duragesic Brand. In other words I have been on Duragesic before they even made a generic and when the generics came out I was given the Sandoz first and after that I was given the Mylan. I started having complete withdrawals from the Mylan.

I called my doctor and explained what was happening and he said many of his patients were experincing the same thing. So now, I only get the Brand Name Duragesic. Yes, I pay a larger copay but I think it is worth every penny.

But again, everyone is different and we all have different experiences in how we react to different meds. So whatever works for you

Take care,
CPapp31

Old 01-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

I have decided that Im going to switch just to see if it works better for me. The sandoz has to be better even than the Mylan. I put a patch on last night and this morning had horrible b/t and feel like Im having w/d. That used to happen on the second day, and now the first. I may even get a new script tomorrow, and start over then. Im miserable today. I tried the Sandoz once, and it seemed stronger. Anything would be better. Plus then I could get by on the b/t meds I have for the week.
xoxoxooxox'
IZZY'SMOM

Closed Thread