It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
(female)

orchidflower24 HB User
Do pain meds cause more pain?

[/I]I just returned from an appt with my PM. Four months ago I had an ALIF lumbar fusion at L4-5. I continued to have pain and just finished three nerve root injections, with some relief. My PM dr is puzzling me...she says that the meds I am taking can cause pain, themselves. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Please respond, as I am thinking of changing PM dr, since she has not seemed to be very happy after I had the nerve root injections done at the same location as my neurosurgeon.

Thank you... any advice would be appreciated.
Hope that you are having a pain-less day!!!

God bless all of you.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

forginon HB User
Re: Do pain meds cause more pain?

What pain meds are you taking?

I know of a couple of circumstances where the meds themselves can contribute to increased pain. But this usually involves taking very high doses or having taken a med for a very long time. Headache sufferers can find that their meds can cause rebound pain, with the meds actually causing an ever increasing cycle of pain. I had this happen with daily chronic headache and vicodin. The solution was to stop the vicodin and use another class of medication.

Hyperalgesia is another circumstance when a pain med can worsen the pain. The report I read involved morphine, and it had to do with the "excitatory pathway" that meds in the morphine line can effect. Bottom line? The research participants had been on morphine a long time and found that the drug had caused a condition where taking any more of it worsened the pain. The solution here was opioid rotation, substituting the morphine for another opioid - in this case I believe it was the fentanyl patch.

But again, these situations involved long time use or heavy doses of these meds before they could blame the drugs for added pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread