HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pain Management (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/)
-   -   drs bloodwork -meaning of cbc, etc-Shore??? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/471121-drs-bloodwork-meaning-cbc-etc-shore.html)

susiek 02-12-2007 10:05 AM

drs bloodwork -meaning of cbc, etc-Shore???

Shoreline~
I have to have bloodwork taken and I was wondering what the words on the order mean.... he (my doc) wants me to have a cbc w/diff (which i know is a complete blood count,) CMP, and a Lipid Profile ..... what do these tests, test for??? Any of them cholestrol? Are they checking for my pain meds in my system?? Just curious (my cholestrol was borderline last time and I have an excersize plan, it just hasn't went into effect yet) :blob_fire I am just curious....

susiekkk

jamesm 02-12-2007 11:28 AM

Re: drs bloodwork -meaning of cbc, etc-Shore???

Obviously I'm not Shoreline, but I know the answer:

CBC w/diff= complete blood count with differential
CMP= complete metabolic panel
Lipid panel=cholesterol

susiek 02-12-2007 12:03 PM

What is a complete metabolic panel? is that for the meds?

jamesm 02-12-2007 12:58 PM

CMP is also referred to as chem 8 or chem 14...no it doesn't test for drugs. It looks at your liver and kidney function, electrolytes, blood sugar, etc

Fabrashamx 02-12-2007 04:28 PM

Suzie, Can I ask why you want to know if he's checking for meds? it helps us give you a better more complete answer if we know whats going on. Just because it doesnt say in the CBC that he's looking for something, doesnt mean he isnt, that request could still be in the paperwork. just trying to help.
~Fabby

susiek 02-12-2007 07:41 PM

well he once (my dr) told me he could check the levels of oxycontin in my blood to be srue I was still getting the benefits of the med, since he made that statment other than peeing in a cup I have seen no test for oxycontin levels....... just wonderin......

Fabrashamx 02-12-2007 08:08 PM

Ohhh I was worried you were doing without because I remembered you said your nephew stole from you and I was thinking you were suffering without. glad thats not the case! Hugs, Fabby

susiek 02-12-2007 10:49 PM

Thanks for your concern........ I just love these boards and you all........ :)

Fabrashamx 02-12-2007 11:18 PM

I do hope I didnt seem nosy, I was thinking oh Lord what if when her nephew stole her meds, he left her short, (which most of us said we would NOT report to the doctor because it puts a big red flag on your chart!) and now here before she can get a refill, doctor is going to check her level and drop her from his practice! I can see something like that happening to me. What nightmares we live through as pain patients! BTW, did you ever catch him trying again? I think you said you bought one of those wall safes which is good, I have a lock box but I should really get one thats attached to the wall. Sending you good thoughts, Fabby