It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

moviestr_20 HB User
Methadone and its dangers

From what I've experienced from taking this medicine, it is phenominal! It helps a LOT!!!

However, within the past month or 2, I've been experiencing random spike in fevers. During the fever episodes, half of them sweating is involved. I didn't really think much of it until recently with the whole "Anna Nicole's death" being aired/talked about everywhere I turn. I decided to take it upon myself to do some solid research, and to my surprise there's been quite a few deaths associated with the medication itself.

Now with Anna Nicole's death, the medical examiners has concluded that Methadone was one of the prime component that could have caused her spiked fevers. When a fever is high enough, it can decreased the oxygen levels from circulating in the blood. As we all know...oxygen is probably the biggest factor in the brain (think Schavio story). In Anna's case, apparently she has been ill for several days with high fevers-- it got up to 105 F, as far as we, the public, are aware of. Ironically 4 months ago, Anna's son died due to the combination of 2 anti-depressants, and liquid Methadone. It took an intensive search, and I found that her son didn't OD and that the only conclusive the medical examiner had, was that the mixture of the 2 anti-D's + Methadone was responsible for his death. However, that isn't all...it just so happens that he was fighting a "flu-like" symptoms (aka, feverish/achy/extreme fatigue)just like his mom was.

During my "obsessive" research (yes, when I'm bored I tend to read/research a lot), I came across several similar cases that Methadone may have caused these people's death. Yet, it was never proven due to other "findings" such as; Previous/Current drug abuse, Previous/current alcohol abuse, other medications that has higher percentages of death, mis-used mixture of medications that can't be taken if on XX medications, Enlarged heart (cardiomyopathy), High Blood Pressure/High Cholestrol, and so on...

But what I did find was one common thing---fever.
Each of those who died whether it was caused by -or- ??, they all were on medication and Methadone was one of them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... Is Methadone more dangerous than we all thought? (and by "we" I mean both Doctors & patients)

In my case, I had one experience (when on this medication--no ed reasons) that landed my butt in the ER. Apparently I had these "late-nite" cravings for Gas Station French Vanilla Cappicinos. As I left the house, I remember seeing my neighborhood Gas Station being closed so I proceeded to go to the 24hr one. Somehow several hours later I woke up in the ER. From what I was told, I had luckly reached the Gas Station, but never completely got out. I apparently "passed out" just as I was getting out of the car. From one of the ER nurse (who I know really well), she stated that I almost died *again*. I was breathing 4 breath a minute, unconscious for over 2 hrs and more.

Since then, I have noticed that I have been "losing" time, and often think whatever occurred 2-4 days ago-- has occurred yesterday. I will read my journals or speak to my friends, and never remember that I did/or what I said.
--heres where it gets more concerning...
For the past 3-4 days, I've been getting fevers/sweating either when I'm standing upright -or- while asleep. I'm not sure WHY I'm having those symptoms, but I will for sure tell my MD this Friday.

For those who are on this medication, or knows of someone on it (pain medication usage only-- no drug addiction medication treatment), can you share your experience with this med (either yourself or friend/family who takes it).
--- Also, for those who aren't on it, nor knows of anyone IRL on it...based on what you've heard, read, or learned about this medication-- what's your opinion?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
(female)

Flutterby77 HB User
Re: Methadone and its dangers

I started on this medication in Dec. I was taking Oxy 80 mg, But I had to take so much of it, I told my dr I wanted to try Methadone. I have also been so concerned about Anna Nicole, and her son. I actually was going to get on it in Sept, But then her son died, and I held off so I could talk more to my dr. All he said was, " YOu can OD on any medication!!!" Real helpful HUH??
I take 3 40 MG tablets in the a.m, and 1 1/2 in the pm. I do through out the day get hot flashes. I have never taken my temp at this time, but I do sweat alot during these flashes. I sleep EXTREMELY hard, which really scares me, Because I am scared I won't wake up. I do feel like time passes really fast. Kind of like if I'm on the computer in the morning, Next thing I know it's noon!!! That is pretty much all of the symtoms I have.

About the hard sleeping at night, I know this because I will wake up during the night, and I will have indentions in my skin, like where My clothes were crinkled on the side I was sleeping on. Does that make sense??? They are really painful, Like I am total dead weight when I'm asleep. It's kind of hard to explain.

I would lobe to hear others opinions on this. I am starting to get a little nervous. I don't take any other medication. I have Norco, But I very rarely take it.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Hello everyone I have never taken methadone but I know of this woman I know who was getting them for chronic pain. She was able to obtain a lot of the pills through Medicaid then in turn sell. When reading the article about her arrest it spoke of the dangers of methadone. The most common and most deadliest fact about this drug is if you take too many at a time it will permanently put you to sleep and you never wake up. It also stated that too much of this drug would slow down your breathing as well. I have a friend whose daughter took too many as a recreational drug and she liked to have died if they hadn't got her to the hospital in time. So please be careful in taking this drug and maybe see if your doctor will prescribe something a little less dangerous.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

moviestr_20 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterby77 View Post
I started on this medication in Dec. I was taking Oxy 80 mg, But I had to take so much of it, I told my dr I wanted to try Methadone. I have also been so concerned about Anna Nicole, and her son. I actually was going to get on it in Sept, But then her son died, and I held off so I could talk more to my dr. All he said was, " YOu can OD on any medication!!!" Real helpful HUH??
I take 3 40 MG tablets in the a.m, and 1 1/2 in the pm. I do through out the day get hot flashes. I have never taken my temp at this time, but I do sweat alot during these flashes. I sleep EXTREMELY hard, which really scares me, Because I am scared I won't wake up. I do feel like time passes really fast. Kind of like if I'm on the computer in the morning, Next thing I know it's noon!!! That is pretty much all of the symtoms I have.

About the hard sleeping at night, I know this because I will wake up during the night, and I will have indentions in my skin, like where My clothes were crinkled on the side I was sleeping on. Does that make sense??? They are really painful, Like I am total dead weight when I'm asleep. It's kind of hard to explain.

I would lobe to hear others opinions on this. I am starting to get a little nervous. I don't take any other medication. I have Norco, But I very rarely take it.
Oh my gosh!!! Wow, it was like for a brief second I was actually reading my life written by someone else.
Everything you wrote is true--- the night indention, the "heavy" sleep (only after I finally fall asleep *have bad case of insomina*), feverish/increase in body temp, and the confusion.

I'm taking the liquid version due to the fact that all my meds has to be inserted through my J-tube (feeding tube in small intestine). I'm on 10mg/1ml, 5ml Tid. That equals out to 150mg/15ml a day. I'm not sure if that's too much or what, but it IS what my PM doc put me on.
It's really the strongest pain med out there that's long-acting. And because my pain is a forever thing, I have to steer clear of short-acting pain meds or I'll develop a huge tolerance level.
Apparently I'm allergic to Fentanyl Patch (sticky adhesive part), and my ins. company keeps arguing about ok'ing Actiq. So the only last logical medicine left was Methadone (stronger than Fentanyl and all other pain meds out there).

I don't know. I'm just afraid. I'm afraid that if Methadone is dangerous, they (FDA) will take the medicine away from me. Yet at the same time, I'm afraid that Methadone will kill me too.
Thing is, I will always be sick and in pain. I just hope that everything will be ok.
t'care guys

Old 02-21-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Movie star, There are many component as to why there are so many more methadfone deaths, and most of it has to do with ignorance of how the drfrug works. Gp's prescribing high doses of a med like this they they really don't know about or use on a daily basis is flat out wrong inIMO> If a GP is going t do it, say on the recopmendation of a Pain clinic or total lack of someonemore experienced, they can do the research and learn how to dose and manage methadone paitince with a fairly high degree of safety, That's if they bother to research it.

The side effects ray mentioned, slowed down breathing is called respirtory supression, all opiates do this. She said meth could put you to sleep with a sigle dose, any opiate pain med can do it if your not tlerant and it's being used recreationallly or if a doc or pharamcisrt makes a mistake in calculating and that mistake doesn't seem odfd because they don't use the med regularly.

So everything ray pointed out is common to every single opiate used. The difference is that methadone lack the buzz or high that people seek so 2 hours later they take alittle more and an hour later a little more and they don't understand thahe drug stays in them for days, the half life is 20-30 hours. The fever artciles sound interesting. I hated the way it made me feeel, I sweated my butt off the entire time I took it, almost 3 years, but I never took my temp because ALL opiates also cause flusing along with a host of other side effects.

It really does crack me up when folks are more concerned about the amount of tylenol than the the amount of opiates they take. Thinking opiates are benign and absolutely safe is like Peta saying your baby should drink beer instead of milk. No they don't cvause organ damage. Can they cause total failure of the repirory system, absolutely, can they cause addiction, absolutely, Are more people dying because proportianlly more people are taking opiartes, Absolutely. 17,00 people dying from OTC pain relievers sounds terible, I have qoted it myself, however there are 3 milion prescription drug adddict and when you put 17k people on one side of the old scale of justice and 3 million on the other, It's hard to denie that opiates have the otential to do great harm.

I understand the desperation, the depression the loss of everything. Pain cost me my home, my job, my credit and most of all, it took away who I felt I was. Pain meds have the ability to make intolerable pain tolerable, They also have the abilty to make spending the rest of you ife in a way you never would have considered tolerable, to doing do just that. Years pass where pain is your only concern, hopefully people relaize how they deal with pain is realy up with them.

I do think meth is over prescribd. It's hard to undrstand how 400% more prescriptions of anything can rise in just 3 years. It seesm like were dealing with entitlement as much as we are pain. Why take that dangerous Tylenol that's sold OTC when 10 mg percs work so much better after a long day of work or even after a stressfu day. Why should anyone have to suffer? And the average GOP learned that meth was less likely to be abused because of the limited buxx factor. Howeever an addict looking for a buzz is going to take enough to get one. Unfortunately it takes dangerous amounts and dose stacking to reach that point where they are happy right before they pass out or fall asleep.

Back to the thermal question. I never did it, But take your temp next time you break into a sweat, it will tell you if you have a temp and potential halth isue or if it's just normal opiate flush or if your just flushing from the med which can happen with any opiate, it just seems to cause more sweating than some of the other opiates.

Shooting Oxy, slurping duragesic patches, chewing time relase meds, that's not pain managemnt, That's maximizing the buzz with unrealistic expectations.

Good luck, Dave

Old 02-21-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

moviestr_20 HB User

Dave you made a good argument, and you're right.

But in my case, I'm limited to certain pain medications due to several diagnosis such as: Lupus, and Gastroparesis-- (my stomach doesn't work, so my intestines are doing the job. I'm also tube fed through a jejunal feeding tube). Then just when I think I have a choice, I end up with another diagnosis-- Peripheral Neuropathy with Intractable pain. Because of that it narrows it down to a handful, then throw in epilepsy (seziures), and a couple more problems...that leaves me with approximately 2-3 meds. Seeing how tedious my health is, the doctors are always careful because I easily get sick to the point of having infection in my blood (sepsis/bacteremia).
Every hospital stay usually last two weeks to several months.

I understand about the opiate temp rising, but I also have been on pain meds since I was a little girl. Been sick for many years. The doc recently took out my port for the time being, and we're injecting my meds via J-tube. Every other month I will have a PICC for additional meds (Vancomyzin & TPN). Every other hospital stay generally determines whether I will/will not have the port placed in.
It's been like this for years.

I used to be on PCA pump-- Dilaudid every 4 hrs (2mg) via ports. I was also on Demerol and Phenergan via PICC.
But because of the recent diagnosis of Gastroparesis, there are certain meds I can't take or else it'll quicken the speed of deteroriation in my body.
With my experience, I've never experienced feverish temp due to medication...usually it's due to an infection. But since I don't have the PICC or Ports in, there's no reason for "fevers" to arise unless its coming from the medications.
Now, I'm not OD'ing nor was there any change, however I have been a bit weaker this past 2 weeks. I know I haven't been up and about like I once was, so maybe I need to schedule a labwork check on my RBC/WBC.

But anyway, thanks for the notations and who knows, maybe there's more issues with this medicine than we thought (e.g.- Prozac). And as far as who's prescribing my pain medications-- my PM doc is. He works with my other docs (MD's, ID, IM, GI, NS, and more). Due to the extenstive health issues, it's imparitive that all my docs are on the same page, in regards to my current treatment.

Last edited by moviestr_20; 02-21-2007 at 10:07 PM.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:45 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Bilbo HB User

Hey all, I too have taken Methadone and did so, at high levels for over a year. Along with Duragesic patches, Methadone was the one med that caused me the most "feverish" like hot flashes. I would be alarmed if someone, without some other fever causing condition, actually had a significant rise in body temperature from Methadone. Because of my own fever like attacks I became very paranoid about my body temp and for the first few months monitored my temp almost obsessively. Never once did I have a fever that was caused by Methadone. I discussed this with my PM Anasthesiologist, my PM's PA, and my GP and they all assured me that sweats and fever like feelings are normal and accompany all opiods, some more than others but they dont cause your actual body temp to rise.

It really pains me to see stories like the Anna Nicole deal. While I feel bad for all those involved with the mess, both me and my wife predicted that she would be dead within sometime soon back when she had that horrible TV reality show. Her slurred words and lack of coherant thinking was a clear clue that she was taking a "cocktail" of meds that was irresposible. The death of her son only made it worse.

While there is some benefit of this ordeal making the news and shedding light on the risks of opiods, the way the media has been handling it has set PM treatment back because they nearly always leave out the details that she and her son were "using" drugs rather than following a strickt treatment regiment that those with chronic pain should be following.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Movie star, I'm sory to hear about all the probolems. I think your right, they really don't know what the long term efects of taking these meds are. If they do have long term data on any med it's going to be meth because it's been used in meth maint for decades. All the other meds have barely been around a decade and the meds like MSContin and dilaudid that have been available since 84 and the 60's were only used in hospice or in patient prior to the opiate revolution that oxycontin and purdue created.

Untill OxyC hit the market and SA oxy stronger than 5 mg percs hit the market, people made due with having the edge taken off with what was available and what docs were willing to prescribe. The standard post op at home pain med was 5 mg percocet for decades and nobody died from pain. They simply didn't make the stronger versions so people didn't ask and docs didn't prescribe them. Dialaudid has been around along time but it also has a terrible reputation for IV drug abuse so it was severely limited untill the Partners against pain, not surprsiningly Purdue Pharmas web site started advocating better treatment for CP.

I took meth for almost 3 years because I didn't have script insurance until medicare created part D 13 months ago. It was a choice of 40 bucks for meth or 14 hundred for LA morphine or more for oxyC or duragesic. I think they have a lot to learn about the long term effects of opiate use and I can't seem to find much in the way of studying the long term effects. Purdue and partners against pain say it's OK so everyone assumes these meds are benign and have no negative side effects based on one study done when a population of pain patients was very different then the population that feels entitled to the strongest meds avaialble beforte they even have a DX and know what;s causing their pain. Why walk across country when you can fly first class when given the choice.. We have an instant gratification society that feels entitled to the most potent meds available.

Honestly, I don't think meth has become less safe than it has been for decades when used and controlled for meth maint. The only thing that has changed is the number of people with a giant bottle of meth or some other potent opiate once reserved for malignant cancer sitting on their night stand. 15 years ago, that meth would have been a bottle of tylenol of motrin but the exagerated dangers of organ damage and an incrediable lobbying effort by the pharma industry has changed the way some docs treat CP or other non malignant pain patients. You know that's true if you have had pain longer than 11 years.

Bottom line is more people are dying because more people than ever are taking it that haven't tried other methods to manage their pain. Peoples expectations are higher because the strength of meds is greater. When the only med available for post op pain was 5 mg percocet, we couldn't ask for 30 mg roxicodone because it didn't exist 10 years ago.

People ask what are the long term effects and there simply isn't an answer beause they haven't been used used long term. I'm sure you have been through the shift in ideology and benefited from that change just like I have. My fear is that were going to shift back to the way things were and all the patients that have felt entitled to pain meds simply because they work better than OTC meds will have to find a way to cope with their pain even if it means changing their lifestyle which seems to be unthinkable to some. Why limit play or work when someone can just take more medication?

The 400% increase in deaths coralates to the 400% increase in number of scripts being written and the number of new patients now taking opiates. It's really that simple IMO. There used to be a line where meds were used and meds were saved untill every other method had been tried and failed. That line is gone and when the number of scripts being written increases by 400%, the number of deaths and reported adverse effects is going to increase proportionately. From 99 to o3 the number of class 11 opiate scripts written increased 300%, I'm pretty sure it's continued to rise since 03 which means we will continue to see more and more deaths. Are 3 times the number of people in pain or are 3 times the number of people npain simply dmeanding to be treated with the same meds that everyone else is. What they don't know is how long it took to be treated and the path that we had to take to get treatment. I have to chuckle when I read someone waited 3 weeks to see a PM doc and they weren't started on the most potent meds on the first visit with the pain amanagement doc. As if it's his job to write the opiate scripts and do nothing else.

I posted because although I personally hated the way meth made me feel and the way it made me sweat, I don't want folks being afraid that need the med. It would be foolish to think that the number of scripts being written doesn't have a direct relation to the number of adverse events. The increase in deaths is proportionate to the increase in number of patients using meth for pain relief. If they lowered the drinking age, we would see an increase in the number of deaths from teenage drunk driving. It's that simple.

Meth hasn't become less safe, there are just 4 times the number of people taking it than 7 years ago. It would still be a good idea to take your temp and try to distinguish between normal flushing caused buy opiates and abnormal thermal changes. But I truly doubt a safe dose of meth that ANS or her soon had taken for months or years sudenly killed them from some unknown metabolite build up. It sounds more like a bottle of meth was kept in the house the way normal people keep a bottle of tylenol. Why wonder if a apap is going to work when an opiate 10 times stronger than morphine gaurentees pain relief if you take enough.The ease and number of people obtaining this med is why we are seeing more deaths, but it's not disproportionate to what we saw 10 or 20 years ago given the amount of this med on the streets and the ease in obtaining it today.

Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 02-22-2007 at 06:51 AM.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
(female)

Flutterby77 HB User

Thanks for all the info, It really makes me feel better. I never felt like I had a fever due to my hot flashes, But it did start with the meth, so I pretty much new what it was from. I will totally agree that my dr over prescribed me Meth, He gave me 7 a day for 2 months. I never even thought to take this much. Like I said, I take 3 in the am, then if I feel I need it, I take the 1 1/2. These meds are probably going to last me 6 months!!! I am glad to know that it is the people that over take it. I have known for yrs that Anna Nicole was going to OD, I never ONCE thought she was just on one med, Methadone, I knew she was taking cocktails of them.

As for asking for the strongest med before trying anything else, Well, that is NOT the case here. I have been on OXY for 3 yrs, Before that I tried the patches, which were so strong I couldn't funtion. My tolerance for OXY just grew and grew. I tried getting off of it last yr when my dh found out, ( He is SO against any pain med, He believes pain is all in the head!!!!) And the pain OVER TOOK me, so I couldn't get off it. and at the end, My fr gave me 7 a day, and that wasn't even cutting it, so he mentioned Methadone last yr when I tried to get off them. and I brought it up again, and decided to try it. Fo once I have tolerable pain, and I don't feel doped up and lazy all day. I don't wake up with unbearable pain anymore. I am sure there is long term effects, But I don't plan on being on it long term. I will be getting surgery this summer, and hopefully that takes care of my pain, and I won't need it anymore!!!!

Thanks for all the info, I do feel a little better to know that the things I have are normal with Meth.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:23 PM   #10
(male)

ruko4 HB Userruko4 HB User

hey, everyone. I have been on methadone for about 6 months at 50 mg a.m, 25 mg afternoon, and 50 mg p.m. Prior to that I was on 60 mg tid of oxycontin with 10 mg oxy-ir for bt pain prn.The meth works so, soooooooo much better for me. Way longer acting which makes it so much smoother from dose to dose, anybody taking it or has taken it knows what i mean. You don't clock watch or even feel the drug start to lose it's effectiveness before the 8 hour mark, I would start to feel pain around the 7 hour mark and in that hour till next dose I would start yawning and loseing energy it seemed like. I could usually hold off but some times the pain would get bad enough where I would be forced to take two 10 mg ir's.

I get side effects from the methadone as well which include sweating alot, total loss of sex drive which most opiates do to some extent but worse definetly, I do find that I will do something in the morning and feel like it was days ago, I dream all the time never did before very much before very weird dreams and vivid, I do I guess sleep more heavily.
The sweating ,loss of sex drive,and weird +vivid dreams do really bother me. but for now it is what works best for me all round especially for pain relief.

As for the anna nicole smith and all the other increase in death's with methadone, like shoreline said there are alot more people being prescribed it and it being missused, whether doctor just not knowing much about it and the big differences it has from other opiates or people trying to abuse it because they know it is an opiate but don't know how much different it is in comparison to other opiates and oding on because when they took it the buzz expected did not happen they kept taking more and more until they fell asleep and never woke up.
All in all I think doc's are rxing methadone more because they are more confident. They don't think it can be abused this goes for the duragesic as well. Doc's are starting patients new to la meds on fentanyl patches when something weaker probably should have been tried first just because they were more confident in rxing it thinking it cannot be abused. Anyway I think in alot of cases the doc's rxing meth are ignorant to it and really don't know much about it and how potent and long acting it really is. And on the other hand there are alot of pepole trying to abuse it by taking large amounts and oding. I don't want to start I big arguement but I think in the anna nicole smith dilemma that in her caes and her son's that some how the methadone was missused not sure how but?????? I do think methadone is very dangerous drug..............when missused when taken properly it in most people has been proven to be safe. I think what most people doc's included don't realize how much different of an opiate methadone really is.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:44 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Hello Mr. Shoreline, I didn't say a single dosage I said too much which means when people decide one doesn't do the job so they take two maybe three at a time. In the article I read it took only 4 doses of this medicine at one time and it put a 17 yr. old boy permanently to sleep. I wasn't suggesting just one dose but
as you read one woman taking it went to the store and don't remember some of the things that accured later after she took it. This would suggest to me right away to leave this medication alone. But people who suffer from chronic pain do have a habit of it the first one didn't work maybe I need to take another.

Last edited by rayefaye; 02-22-2007 at 12:47 PM.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hey Raye, Please call me Dave, I was just making the point that multiple or stacking doses of any long acting med or a med with a long half life is just as dangerous. Meth doesn't cause the buzz that other meds do so people take more and more tying to escape or whatever. Oxycontin got the same bad press when a couple stories broke about pockets of abuse. The media made it sound like an epidemic and state govts were actually voting to remove Oxycontin from their shelves. When the media fever died down I don't think the death count reached 600 when milions of scripts have been written. and all from a rash of overdoses from Osxycontin. Meth just happens to be big press right now because of MS Smith.

Docs not familiar with prescribing meth really shouldn't, It wasn't used as a pain med for decades because it produces such a wide response in both paion relief and repirory supression. Meaning if you try to convert 100 people on say morphine to an equivelent dose of meth, you would get people takeing anywhere from 3:1 too 10:1 and getting the same relief.

I just don't think meth is any more dangerous than the next tas far as if somone is going to have problems with their meds, it's just as likely goig to hapen with oxyC, MSC or metth. Docs thinking that meth somehow deters people from taking more than prescribedis are a bit misguided. Heck kids drink cough syrup to get high, whay wouldn't someone looking to get on opiates not abuse methined.
Take care, Dave

Old 02-22-2007, 02:56 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

I don't even know where to begin here. First, let me say that I am on methadone for chronic pain. I have been on it for over a year now and currently take 120 mg. worth of methadone split in three doses - morning, noon and bedtime.

Methadone has been a life saver for me. I had tried every other non-narcotic and most narcotic drugs to control my pain, but nothing has given me the kind of consistent relief with the least amount of side effects. Dave my friend...I was hoping all day long that you would come on board and be the voice of reason that you have always been when it came to the circus that exists every time a celebrity or person of interest is suspected of overdosing from the "drug of the month"! And I see that you have pointed out that just about anything that you can put in your body can kill you if not taken as directed and under the close supervision of a qualified physician who is skilled in the treatment of chronic pain.

The sky is not falling, in my opinion!! This month we will hear all sorts of horror stories about methadone and what it has done to folks...to friends, relatives, people in the street.....perhaps to unknown tribes in the depths of the Amazon jungle! You make the good and very valid point that the more a drug is used, the more reports will be made of all sorts of reactions, side effects and yes, even deaths. Why is this such a hard thing for folks to accept?

There is no one, single "devil" drug in the arsenal that docs have to draw on. For each person there is hopefully a drug that will help them live their life with the least amount of pain and the most amount of mental clarity that can be achieved. If people who are taking methadone DO NOT feel comfortable being on the drug because it is currently the hottest topic on T.V. or in magazines, then they should be making an appointment with their prescribing physician who, I assume, they trusted to give them the proper medication in the first place.

I have experienced some hot flashes and some excess sweating while on Methadone. I did what you have suggested Dave...I took out a thermometer and took my temperature!! Not a big mystery here. If I don't have a fever, then I'm probably NOT going to be blaming methadone on my increased feelings of warmth.

My suggestion to whoever would like to listen is to calm down and think this through for a few minutes. Do not jump to conclusions about the appropriateness of methadone as a long acting pain medication based on facts that are not currently in evidence! We shouldn't be making sweeping statements about any drug based on what happened to Anna Nicole Smith, her son, the man next door or anyone else. We don't know the circumstances surrounding their particular medical situation.

I will continue to take my methadone and be grateful that I have it. If I get to the point where I'm scared out of my wits by too many stories or anecdotal information from Entertainment Tonight, I will make an appointment with the professionals that I trust and go from there. Trashing a particular drug does nothing but scare away folks who benefit or may benefit in the future from pharmaceuticals. Thanks for listening and I will get off my soapbox now! All the best - KathyMac

Old 02-22-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
(female)

Flutterby77 HB User

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! Meth has been such a lifesaver to me, and when all this hit the fan, I just wanted to hear other's stories about this med. I would never down a medication just because of what I have heard on T.V. Since we all know you don't get ALL the facts. As I said before, when I brought it up to my dr, He said that you can OD on anything. Which is so true. It put my mind at ease, and I tried it. And I thank God I did. I can function so much better now!I just have to open a window when I get hot!!! I will admit, I don't take it after 4 because of the fear about not waking up. But that is my own silliness!! I do suffer more pain than I really have too, Because I feel if I can handle it, then there is no need to take all 7 like he prescribed. It is SO great to hear all of your stories, and it does put my mind at ease!!

Old 02-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #15
Veteran
(male)

grizzk62 HB User

Hey all

Great topic. I would like to ditto evert thing shoreline has said. also add every one responds differently to the same meds. i
m on 150 mgs methadone day in 10 mg doses. i also take 20gs oxy ir for breaktough. I also take adderall 30mg xr to combat some of the sides effects. Ive been on these meds not always at these doses for going 7yrs. some things to note . IO have taken my driving privledges away and someone else is n hare off giving me my daily med box. my spouse. The rest is in a safe. My spouse and do this because of the risks. I have at one time experience all of the reactions that have been described. I also take about 15 other medications a day along with all of their wonderful side effects. I feel for me that since I'm taking these powerful medications and their are powerful. That I need to protect othes from these side effects. I also have some good quality of life given back to me. I can find joy now in everyday. You have to just weigh the trade off. My best to all.

Matt

Closed Thread