It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
(male)

youngone00 HB User
First apt with New PM Dr was Horrible! SurgicalDisaster Please read!

Hi everyone. I had my first appointment today with a new PM Dr, named Dr Vosough. I'm currently already seeing a PM Dr, who although treats me like a human being, and is a caring doctor, just does not feel comfortable prescribing much more medication than he already does to me. At first he wes of great help, but the past few months have been the worst of my life, to the point I'm up till 5-6am very single morning, and than only get two hours sleep because I'm hurting so bad.

I have chronic pelvic pain. I was originally diagnosed with chronic non bacteria prostatits. Now, its known as chronic pelvic pain syndrome. It is beleived to be caused my the muscles in the pelvic floor being tight, and having muscle spasms. I currently see a physical therapist who does trigger point therapy which does sometimes provide a little releif.

It took me two hours to get to this Dr's location yesterday. When he first came into the room, he said hello, and than started explaining how the first visit is only a consultation, and that he doesn't prescribe any medications on the first visit, which was perfectly fine with me. I was completly honest, and told him I was currently seeing somebody for my pain, and that I was still at an average of 7-8 on a scale from one thru ten, and that the reason I didn't already get my discharge papers, was that I first wanted to talk with him, to see if he can help me (Just in case things didn't work out, I'd atleast still have the Dr who I've been seeing). When I was explaining to him what was wrong with me, he didn't even let me finish. I got as far as saying I had terrible pelvic pain, and than he started taking notes and asked me what my primary Dr's name was, and my PM Dr's name. In the middle of all of this, he told me that he has never treated anybody with this kind of pain and doesn't know if he can help me. He than told me I'd have to see a psychologist first, to make sure I'm ok to prescribe opiate medication too. He than said that before he tells me anything, he had to call my Primary and my PM Dr, to see what he can do for me. I than told him I have no problem seeing the Pscyhologist, and have no problem with him contacting my primary, but was nervous about him contacting my PM, as god forbid he tells me he cant help me, and I go to my next PM appointment, and now he doesn't want to help me anymore either because I was out looking for a new Dr. I asked him if he just needed to confirm everything I told him, and he said no, that he had to talk to them becasue he thinks that if they are treating me, that they must be treating other patients with the same problems as me. So I asked him what does that mean, and he said "I dont know how I can help you, like I dont know what kind of medicine I would give to you because I usually only treat people with things like neck and back surgeries. So I have to talk with them to see what they say I should give you, and than from there decide if I can help you." So from there, I was attempting to tell him the rest of my problems (as I am also diagnosed with Fibromayalgia from my PM Dr, and also have chronic lower back pain). He wouldn't even let me go on and finish, and ask I was in the middle of explaining, he opened the door, and told me he would be right back and he would tell me what I needed to do. Than he came back in the said "Ok, you dont have to do anything, I will call the Dr's, and see what if I can Maybee help you." So from there he was going out the room (I guess it was suppose to be the end of the appointment), and I said "can you hold on please, I have more questions I'm not finished." I once again asked him "Dr, I just feel nervous, because it sounds like your saying you cant really help me because you havn't treated this before, and if you call my PM Dr, who atleast provides me some help, and than you decide you cant help me, I'll be in trouble." From there he just replied "that wont happen he won get upset." He said it in an annoyed voice as if I was taking up to much of his time (he was only in the room with me for like 10-15 minutes), it wasn't like I was taking up crazy amt's of time. From here, he walked out of the room and told me "I'll call you soon." So I followed him out and told him "Hey Doc you know what, forget everything, I'll stick with the Dr I have, atleast he listens to me, I dont need your services." He replied "ok", walked way and that was that.

I felt really really uncomfortable with everything. I told him the medications I was currently taking (Duragsic 25mcg, oxycontin 20mg 2xdaily, percocet 10 3 xdaily), and he asked me if any of my dr's ever asked if I was addicted. He than said that it was a standard question.

I explained it wasn't exactly more medication I was looking for, it was just that the patch causes certain side effects for me, and I cant handle it. It was really hard to explain anything, he really wasn't listening and would just go back to telling me I had to see a shreink and all this other stuff.

I was really shocked by the way he acted. I also felt bad because I felt really excited because of the experience surgical disaster said he has with him. I dont know, maybe its my age, I am only going on 23 next week. I really dont know what to do, I am at the point of giving up, becasue if he is considered one of the good doctors, and he obviously definatly didn't trust me, and want to help me, I dont know what else I can do.

Did I do anything wrong? Surgical if you read this, I'm just wondering what you think of the situation? BTW, I searched PM Dr's in NJ on this board, and came across an old post by you, that is how I found him, it wasn't like you refered me directly or anything.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post I just dont know what to do anymore, but I cannot live like this, The pain is EXCRUCIATING!!! Its no where near tolerable, and is very very bad!

Bryan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Jack24 HB User
Re: First apt with New PM Dr was Horrible! SurgicalDisaster Please read!

The psychology of pain is real. Maybe talking to a psychiatrist wouldn't be a bad idea. I really don't see a down side of seeing one.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:40 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

surgicaldisaster HB User

Hi there and sorry it took me so long to reply...I have not posted in I don't know how long, and then had trouble getting back on(took a LONG time!), but I have been reading almost daily. I am so sorry to hear you had a bad experience with this Dr., as he truly is the best I have come across. Forgive me if my memory is not great, but have you had any surgeries or anything alongthose lines...anything kinda concrete the Dr. can look at that gives a diagnosis or are they not positive about what you are dealing with here?(which can certainly happen!) I have chronic pelvic pain, but have had numerous surgeries....I had at one point 3 in 5 months(not to mention all the others, but those were the worst, as they were so close together and were not just laps., one was a partial hysterectomy(they went in through my old c-section scar), and found each time I was LOADED with adhesions(scar tissue) and endometriosis, plus I had fibroids growing in between all of this. Painful is not the word....crying and laying on a heating pad during the majority of the time was not living, and simply not an existance I could go on with. Pelvic pain is terrible...you can't get away from it...can't rest it like you might be able to put up an arm or leg(not that that kind of pain is any less! Please don't anyone take it the wrong way!). I feel for you and am sorry your visit did not go well. You current Dr. has you on two long acting meds(am I right on that?) as well as a breakthrough med. Did your current Dr. say why the two long acting meds...that might have been something that stuck out during your appt., and don't know if it was discussed or not. I know my PM Dr. would never let me have 2 long acting meds as the same time for a variety of reasons. Do you mind my asking how long you have been in pain management? Is this something you just started or has it been a while? I wish I could help you more....the only thing I can think of, is without an official diagnosis(and if I am wrong on this I'm sorry!), he may not know what you are hoping to accomplish with him that can't be done with your current Dr.(?)I don't know, but am kinda grasping at straws here. Please post back and let me know how you are doing.....I truly am sorry it did not go well, I really have had nothing but great experiences with this Dr. Take care of yourself, and PLEASE post back k? Surgical Disaster

Old 02-26-2007, 06:15 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

OM28 HB User

Comment - There is really nothing wrong or unusual about being prescribed two different long acting opiates. This is pretty routine in cancer pain and so being seen more often in non-cancer pain patients. The rationale is that there are different sub-types of pain receptors snd that certain opiates block certain receptor sub-types preferentially. By tailoring this respone the physcian hopes to achieve better pain relief with less side effects by having an overall lower dose of both opiates than either alone.

That being said, I think both of your dosages are very low for severe chronic pain.

Last edited by OM28; 02-26-2007 at 06:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi Bryan
I am so sorry you are suffering, I know it makes it extra hard to get help or feel you are being taken seriously when you don't have a clear dx (not sure if you do or not?)and you are also young.
That being said, I have to agree with the group when I say I think you made a few serious tactical errors in your dealing with this new guy.
I am surprised you were able to get in so quickly, and without a referral. When he found out what you were on, although not in high doses, some of the strongest meds available including 2 LA opiate and breakthrough, One of his first questions had to be, Why on earth would this guy leave his other pain doc if he was willing to put him on meds of this calibre? Then when you were reluctant to have him contact that same guy, He must have really really been hinky. because frankly, Bryan? anyone would have been. He didnt know you from Adam. He can see you are on serious meds, but you seem to be unhappy all out of proportion with your last PM doc, and are claiming pain numbers as if you had been given advil, or laughed at, which you certainly were not.
I think your better move would have been to go to your prescribing doctor and ask to be hospitalized until they can get your pain under control.
Doctors cannot treat chronic pain aschronic painuntil they get the acute pain under control, which yours is not. The doctor you have sounds like he was starting to try to get you on a powerful base of meds, trying hard to get that pain out of the acute stage and back into its 'chronic' cage.
When your pain is acute, you can need much more medicine to get relief than you will once they get you on a steady doseage of something that will work.
You need to learn to trust your doctors and have some patience, If he says he realizes you arent happy at this dose or on this drug, but he wants you on it anyway for a few days, then you should probably do what he asks. When you ignore his advice, he will become more and more reluctant to listen to you or to try new things.
Have you talked to the prescribing doctor? Does he know you saw guy #2? Other than alarming the new guy, and possibly offending the old doctor, you havent really done anything wrong here, you didnt accept any scripts, and you disclosed everything, so its not dr.shopping or anything like that at all,
please dont misunderstand, I'm not trying to say you did anything shady at ALL, just that you might have done yourself more harm than good, in the long run.

How are you feeling today? are you still in that acute pain? I feel so bad for you, please let us know what happened and how you are doing, and what your DX is if you have one yet.

Your Friend, Fabby

Old 02-26-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

surgicaldisaster HB User

Oh, please don't get me wrong...I was not at all critisizing being on two long acting meds...just was wondering what the Doc. had in mind...sometimes I feel like it might help me more! Hoping you are O.K. as I have been thinking of you since I read this post...hang in there!! I can sooooooo relate to chronic pelvic pain...it is AWFUL. Also, it's true, you did NOTHING wrong by checking out another PM Dr. It's your right to do so....he was not my first PM Dr., and when I switched I told him I already had one, but why I wanted to change. So, you did nothing wrong at all.....let us know soon how you are o.k.? Surg

Old 02-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

surgicaldisaster HB User

Hey Bryan, I know you are upset right now...please , please come back and post! I do care so much as I REALLY understand what you are going through. Sometimes people say things that just might come to their mind at the time, but please know we are all here to help. Take some time to cool off if ya need to, but I'd love to chat with you....any questions I might have had are just that, questions, so I can help you better. As I said, I can soooooo relate, it has not been an easy road, and you are dead right....age does not matter. When my son( who was just about 3 yrs old at the time) was going through chemo for cancer, he was in horrific pain. I was the one who had to YELL and SCREAM to get him proper pain relief...what because he was young, he was not screaming in agony? You bet your a@@ he was!!! I finally got them to give him percocet, and it was the only way he could get through it. They said it was the first time they had done something like that, but I would hope not the last if someone needed it. So...I also know about the age factor. PAIN is PAIN and it knows NO age. So, enough of me...tell me about you! I really hope you come back k? PLEASE do....Surgical Disaster

Old 02-26-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Youngone-
Please don't feel that you did something wrong, because seeking a second opinion is ok. Many people do seek a second opinion if they feel the situation with a current doctor isn't being managed properly. I for one, had to go through 2 other PM doctors before I was able to find my current PM doctor. The first two just weren't cutting the mustard and were actually making me worse, so finally, I was able to find a PM doctor who is actually helping and I'm glad I didn't settle for either of the other doctors.

You were honest and up-front with the new PM and that is a good thing. I know you weren't trying to hide anything and weren't trying to pull the wool over his eyes at all. You are doing what everyone who suffers chronic pain does- you seek the best possible help you can find. I don't think anyone can fault you for that. We all deserve to be treated appropriately regardless of our age.

The unfortunate thing for us "chronic painers" is that so many other people have made it near impossible for us to receive the help we need because of their drug seeking/abusing behavoirs. I feel that many times, the "red flags" are automatically up before we even have a first appointment with a PM doctor. Is it fair? Absolutely not, but that is the way it is, and we have to basically jump through the hoops, if you will, before we are actually taken seriously and treated with any kind of opiate. I know pain management isn't just about taking medications, but for us, it is a part of the treatment plan.

I think for you, this situation is compounded by an illness/pain condition that maybe isn't thoroughly understood yet. Kind of like RSD, Chronic Pain Syndrome, fibromyalgia and many others were for some time, but headway is being made in understanding many of these chronic pain conditions and hopefully, these conditions will be more treatable as they learn more about them.

I am so, so sorry that you are having to deal with such excruciating pain and that although you are being treated, your pain levels are still so bad. Maybe you can just lay your cards out on the table with your current PM doctor and ask if there is anything else that can be done at this point. Maybe also having a relative or very close friend go in and advocate for you as to how much your daily activities and sleep patterns are being negatively affected by your ongoing pain levels would help. My PM doctor even suggests having family members come in from time to time.

My cousin has been in pain management for years and she is only 25. She was diagnosed with Chron's in her VERY early teens. She's had numerous stays in the hospital because her pain levels would rise and regardless of what she and her PM doctor did, they wouldn't subside, so they had to admit her for several days at a time to be medicated through IV. It's terrible to have to deal with that, I know.

Please do take care, and know that we are here to support you in any way that we can. I hope you and your PM doctor are able to come to some sort of agreement and are able to get those daily pain levels to a more "acceptable" level. Stay strong my friend. I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

Last edited by ozzybug; 02-26-2007 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Spelling errors..

Old 02-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi youngone00 Sorry to hear you're in a lot of pain and I truly feel for you because 23 yrs ago I cracked my pelvis in two different places up to my spinal cord. I will never forget what it was like to wake up that day in the hospital in some much pain, they didn't put me in a cast because it wasn't broken. I had to learn how to walk again and was in pain all the way up my back and down into my legs. To me it was the worst thing that ever happen to anyone because people don't understand that it just don't hurt in the pelvic area it shoots up and pain shoots down into your legs. When I had my two childern the farther along I got the more weight they would put on my pelvis to the point that I would have to lie in between my husband's leg and let my stomach hang down just to get relief from the pain. My second child starting digging down into my pelvis before she was born and I can even begin to describe what that was like and unable to take anything for the pain. Still 23 yrs later and I still suffer from pelvic pain and when it hurts it seems like nothing helps relieve the pain. I also suffered a broken arm (my right), which was broken into and it severed my sensatory nerve, and the turn signal went through my left hand leaving a hole in it. I suffered for yrs afterwards but no one would listen to me and most people felt like I was just some kind of druggie looking for a fix. So I also know how you feel on the deal as well and I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you can find some relief from you pain.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
(male)

youngone00 HB User

Hey everybody. By all means i completly apologise if anyone felt I was getting defensive with them. I appreciate all of you helping me and giving me advice soo much I cant explain. This board alone helps me soo much just knowing there are other people that are in my situation and who understand, and who are there for me.

Thanks so muich

Bryan

Old 02-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hey Bryan~
I wanted to say hang in there, and I dont have time to post right now, but I will later. Just wanted to give ya a big cyber hug! [[[[[[[[[[[hugs]]]]]]]]]~
xoxoxoxoox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 02-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

surgicaldisaster HB User

Hey Youngone, still there? Just wanted to check in with ya...been thinking of you....my pelvic pain is really AWFUL today...hope yours is not. It must be even tougher for a guy to deal with Dr's in this regard, cuz for women they can see adhesions or endo. or whatever and say o.k., that's the reason. It has to be soooo hard for you and I think it stinks quite frankly. Pelvic pain is pelvic pain and unless you have had/have it, it's hard to comprehend, just like it's hard for me to comprehend what chronic back pain must be like(though I can empathize with ANY chronic pain!). I hope you know what I mean! So, please let me know how things are...things going o.k. with your current PM? I pray you get the relief you deserve, and I'm really bummed my guy did not work for you. I do have someone else I could recommend...but I don't know if you want me to or not...many say he is good, and ya never know, sometimes what works for one, might not for another and visa versa. Just let me know o.k.? Thanks! Surg

Old 02-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #13
(male)

youngone00 HB User

Hey, I'm here. I'm sorry your having a bad pain day, I had a terrible night last night, I was upto 6am before I could finally fall asleep. Yes, I would like to try the other Dr you know of. Its always worth a try. I go to see my PM on March 5th. My mother sees the same Dr, and she went last week on Friday. She said that he asked about the me, and she told him that its really hard to even watch me for her because Im up all night, in and out of the bath (it gives me a little releif), and just always in pain. So he told her he knows, and he feels very bad, and he just dont know what else he can do. See I think he really cares, he is a very nice person, he never really treated me badly. For whatever reason though, he just does not like to prescribe anything more than percocet and duragesic. Before I started coming to this board, I didn't even know that there was LA and SA meds, and that there was so many different things that were available to try and get relief from. I just dont see how come he is soo comfortable prescribing Duragesic, I thought that was stronger than morphine and oxycontin. I dont know. I hope that you feel better, and have a better rest of the day. I appreciate all of your support very very much.

Bryan

Old 02-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #14
(female)

Sammiejoe HB User

Bryan:
Hi, I was reading your thread and I really feel bad for you. I, agree, you weren't treated in a kind manner. Pain is pain, no matter what age and what condition you have. I am suffering right now with gallstones and waiting to have my gall bladder removed and it's painful ,but, I know people who were in soooo much pain with gall stones that they couldn't wait for surgery and had to go through the ER to get emergency surgery. We're all different and everyone tolerates pain differently and it's the same with meds.

As far as seeking a second opinion, I think it was a good idea because you can tell your pm doc that you're in sooo much pain that you even sought another opinion on how to deal with it. It sounds like you pm doc is caring, so I don't think he'll be upset with you and it may even give him more proof (for your chart) that you are in sooo much agony that you will try anything to get relief. Remember, you didn't get any meds from the other pm doc, so it's not as though you're looking for just meds. Be honest with your doc and tell him that your pain is sooo bad that you just wanted to see if there are any other options to help relieve it.

Have you been to a neurologist? Are you taking any of the anti seizure meds like neurontin or lyrica?

Please keep the faith. I know it's easier said than done, but, you have to believe and trust that you are on your way to getting your pain under control.
JMO, the other pm doc was an idiot. He sounds like the kind of doc who just wants to get people in and out as quick as he can, so he'll make more money.
Keep looking

Old 02-27-2007, 09:52 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hey Chris~
After Bryan responded, do you feel the same as you previously posted? Did anything he stated help clear things up? Anyone else? I know after reading his response, I now have a much better direction as to where hes coming from~
xoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 02-27-2007 at 09:54 PM.

Closed Thread