It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
(male)

Amsterdam HB User
short acting meds

I'm back in PM since my condition flaired up significantly. I had been off all pain medication for 7 months and doing fine, when it came back about 2 weeks ago.

For about a week I was taking percocet 1-2 as needed. I was getting terrible headaches and felt miserable. I didn't want to continue on the oxy, so the doc prescribed dilaudid 2mg BID. The pain relief is minimal to none. If I take 2 at once, I get somewhat better relief for a few hours, but thats not how its prescribed.

I'm trying to stick with SA meds for now so that the docs can analyze what may have caused the pain to flair up. The docs just want to keep me somewhat comfortable while these tests are being done, because I prefer not to be on opiates for the rest of my life. If I end up needing to be on them permanently, then I will not be so concerned about what doseage amount it takes to have a therapeutic effect. I have always been undermedicated by docs and its not a pleasant feeling. I wanted to make a good effort at getting completely off the meds, which I feel I accomplished.

I wanted to know if anyone could suggest good SA meds other than oxy and hydro. I don't know if it was the tylenol in the percocet that was giving me the headaches, but I'm also not fond of the strung out feeling that oxy has. I think the dilaudid works well, although I will need to call and let them know ASAP that its not strong enough. I think there is a 2 , 4 and 8 mg dilaudid available, so maybe I should suggest the 4. Also, BID seems quite minimal to me especially with the short half life of dilaudid. I'd say the 4mg QID would be more realistic. Does anyone have any input on a good SA med for opiate tolerant people? I need to call the docs office within the next couple hours, so any quick help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
(male)

Amsterdam HB User
Re: short acting meds

This is so frustrating. I'm getting really bad rebound headaches. I think its due to my body not being used to having opiates in my system. The headaches are so bad I just want to flush the dilaudid down the toilet and forget the option of opiates for pain control. I can't win, the pain is so bad in my leg that I can barely walk. I take a pill and feel mild pain relief, but my head feels groogy, unable to concentrate, followed by a severe headache.

My mind and body are at war with each other.... one won't let the other get relief.

this is ridiculous

Old 02-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: short acting meds

Hi Amsterdam...Why don't you try some Oxy IR or Roxicodone. It basically is Oxycodone with no apap (Tylenol) in it. It come is doses of 5, 15, and 30 mg. It would probably be more effective than what you've been taking twice a day. When I had it, it was for BT pain and my doc wrote it for 30 mg PRN for pain. Worked pretty good for me.

Closed Thread