It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
(female)

Katirina HB User
Fiorinal/cod 30mg or percocet 7.5/325mg

I have taken Fiorinal w/cod for years for migraine pain. Now that I am having a lot of tailbone pain and leg pain I am taking Percocet. One day I got a migraine and noticed my who body felt better when took Fiorinal. I am thinking it is not good to take Fiorinal long term. I figured you guys knew all the reason - thanks!

Old 03-02-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
(female)

mzpain HB User
Re: Fiorinal/cod 30mg or percocet 7.5/325mg

I took fiorinol/cod 30mg. for my migraines too, matter of fact it worked better than morphine in the ER. This combination medication is used to treat tension headaches. Codeine is a narcotic pain reliever that acts on certain centers in the brain to give you pain relief. Aspirin helps to decrease the pain from the headache. Caffeine helps increase the effects of aspirin. Butalbital is a sedative that helps to decrease anxiety and cause sleepiness and relaxation. So I would say the butalbital's relaxation and decreasing of anxiety is why your whole body felt better. I wouldnt think you would need the codeine if you are also taking the percocet 7.5. Actually I was going to ask my doc if straight fiorinal without codeine may be an option for me I have degenerative disc disease, have had a fusion with a plate in my neck and now am having bad pain in my legs, hips and lumbar area. I already take alot of hydrocodone(no tylenol) and ibuprofen daily but think I need something to relax my back and muscles. I never have gotten relief from typical muscle relaxers like soma, flexeril, robaxin so I thought about the fiorinal and since reading your post I know it would be a good idea. I've never heard of fiorinal longterm being bad but since you ask I think if I want to take it too I will check it out and let ya know. Have a painless night.
Mzpain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

I also take the Fiornal #3 due to Chronic Migranes triggered by Atmospheric Conditions (and I live in the Deep South which sucks big time). I have been told by my Doctor that the Fiornal works so well because it also has Phenobarbital(sp?) in it in addition to the caffine and codine. I have no clue, I just know it's one of the only thing that works on my terrible migraines that I've suffered with since age 7.

I am taking Topamax 50mg in the am and 50mg at bedtime, 20mg of Paxil and 50mg in the am and 50mg at bedtime as a preventive. I only use the Firornal w/Codine as a rescue med. I have been on this regimine for almost 2 years now, and it has been a lifesaver. I have NOWHERE near the frequency/number of migraines, and when I DO get a headache, it's NOWHERE near as severe as they used to be. YAY!

Edited to add:

I also have chronic ongoing back problems at L4-S1 and am actually going to the Neurosurgeon on 3/13 to schedule the date for my Fusion. I am aslo on the Duragesic 12.5 patch, and Percocet 7.5 for BT, but I have never mixed the Perc and the Fiornal. I have been okayed to take the fiornal while on the Duragesic by my PM.

Hoping for Pain Free days for all ASAP.

Bg

Last edited by SpinalMalady; 03-03-2007 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Afterthoughts

Old 03-04-2007, 01:23 AM   #4
(male)

zach016 HB User

Hi Katrina,

The butalbital in the Fiorinal is what is giving you the all over feeling. It is a barbituate.

In Canada they are instructing Dr.'s not to put any new patients on Fiorinal or Fioricet and to try to move any patients that are taking it to something else. I'm sure it will be taken off the market here soon. That is the plain stuff and the stuff with codeine.

In some countries (Italy for one) it has been banned.

It seems there is a high incidence of abuse when it comes to this medication - if you read the addiction board it's crazy. ANd it isn't something that can be stopped for those that are taking them daily. **They can't be stopped all at once or it can cause seizures**

I know in the U.S. they still seem to be prescribed easier than Tylenol #3. I don't think Dr.'s are too concerned with patients taking them once or twice a week and if that works I don't think they should be. But for someone new thereare so many good meds. out there.

zach016

Last edited by zach016; 03-04-2007 at 01:25 AM. Reason: clarify

Old 03-04-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
(female)

mzpain HB User

Wow, I didnt know there was a problem with the butalbital. Are their only fears concerning the physical addictiveness of the barbituate? As far as I know the benzo's have the same addictive properties and I havent heard of any ban on them. Educate me please, I feel I am behind the times, I havent had to take fiorinal for a long time. Thanks!
Mzpain

Old 03-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

I was taking fioricet for over 20 years for migraines that started when I was 8 years old.In the 80's my gp started me on fioricet and I took them everyday until last year when reading this board in the headach section I was told the same thing.So for 20 years I was taking 4 pills a day and I thought the worse that I was addicted.guess what I stopped taking them and nothing happened except major migrains that I had under control came back.I have not restarted taking fioricet again but I fear all the tylonal that I do take now will be of more harm to me. I cannot take any of the other new migraine meds because they can harm the heart and I have a rapiid heart rate so I am out of luck.
This is why I read this board on pain management to find a effective pain med that is safe and my feelings tend to go back to fioricet.

Last edited by HBMod07; 03-05-2007 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Please use quick reply or remove the quote when posting. Thank you!

Closed Thread