It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
(female)

skiilady HB User
Oxycodone vs Morphine sulfate ER

Hi all, I have a question for anyone that has info. on this. How is Oxycodone ER different than Morpnine sulfate ER. Today I went to the Dr. I had been on Oxycodone ER 80mg 5 tablest a day, and I was having to pay for them, so I ask the Dr. to change my meds and was put on Morphine sulfate 100 2 tablets 3 times daily. Will this do the same as Oxycodone 80 ER 3 times a day. Just curious. And also do you think it will take care of the pain as well as the Oxycodone did, isn't it pretty much the same thing. Any imput would be appreciated. I just know hte oxy. worked really good for my pain.

Thanks,
skiilady

Old 03-17-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Oxycodone vs Morphine sulfate ER

Hi Ski Lady, I'm not sure if there is typo in your post, At first you said you were taking 5 80 mgd oxy per day and then later you said you wanted to know if taking 200 mgs of MSC would be equal to taking 3 80 mgs tablets per day. If you are indeed taking 5 80 mg OxyC per day this would be 400 mgs of oxyContin, the standard 1.5 :1 conversion would suggest that 400 mgs of oxy is equianelgesically equivelent to 600 mgs of MSC per day holds true in most cases. Morphine can be more sedating than oxycodone, but the conversionis definitely in the right ballpark. I may take some fine tweeking of the mrphine dose or several weeks to overcome the initial sedation, but the conversion sounds right from 400 mgs of oxy to 600 mgs of morphine.

If you are taking only 240 mgs of oxycontin, the 600 mgs of MSC per day would eb a considerable inncrease in overall daily opiate consumption. this may make the drosiness effect sem alittle more sevre and you might need to cut back to a dosing regimen od something lke 200-100-200 to allow you body to accomadate to the new med. Either way, I would be shocked iif you experiencd any withdrawl symtoms and more than likely you woul d simply fine the morphine a bit more sedating.

I hope this helps and you find beter relief in the long run without having to continually increasde the oxy at the riate many folks build tolerance to oxy.

Good luck, Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
(female)

skiilady HB User

Sorry shoreline that was indeed a typo. To clarify I was taking oxycodone HLC CR 80mg. 5 times a day, was changed yesterday to morphine sulf er 100mg. 2 tabs 3 times a day. I had found that the oxy's at first made sleepy, and you say these are even more sedating? I wasnt worried about the withdrawls, just wanting the pain realief that the oxy's was giving me. What did you mean in the last paragraph? The last comment on the page, I didn't understand what the meaning was. I so much appreciate this information, you can not ask you Dr. a simple question and get a simple answer. lol. I go for a trial spinal block I think that is what it is called, monday. Maybe that is going to help to. I would like to get off some of the pain med. i'm taking ALLOT right now and rather not. Don't get me wrong I'm thankful for my Dr. and her is really interested in helping people with pain, and he is just my family Dr. I have just started my morphine so I gueess I will see how it goes. Did you say I was taking more morphine than I was oxy.?Again thanks for being so kind, and answering my question. You guys are great on this board. Have a good day, and hopefully pain free day, if possible.

skiilady

Old 03-17-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

About Dave's last comment...were you asking what he meant about getting better relief in the long run without having to increase the oxy? If so, he meant that a lot of people get tolerant to oxycodone and have to keep increasing the dosage up and up. You might not have that problem with morphine.

You asked if you were taking more morphine than oxy....technically yes...600mg of morphine compared to 400 of oxy...but they are equivalent in their pain killing abilities so you should be getting the same relief as before.

Dave, sorry to speak for you...if I mispoke please correct me!!!

Skiilady,take care and good luck with your spinal block. Let us know how it goes.~Mush

Old 03-17-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Ski lady, The last paragraph was meant to say if you were only taking 240 of oxy a day, you may want to start with 500 mgs a day instead of 600. 600 would be a pretty big increase from 240 mgs of oxyC that you might not need. But since you were taking 400 mgs a day, 600 sounds right on the money as far as preventing withdrawal and being a safe increase. However just because the conversion looks fine on paper, switching meds to an equakl dose of another doesn't gaurentee relief simply because we respond differently to different meds.

Although our docs may be OK with prescribing what we need, it still puts the doc under a lot of scrutiny just because of the shear dose. The biggest advantage of the pump is having a clear head and the motivation to make changes that we might not otherwise because of the side effects we simply grow used too. Despite how clear headed we might feel. I didn't realize how grey the world and my outlook had become untill I switched to the pump. It was like someone turned the color back on in life and I had the motivation and pain relief to make some major changes that included daily excercise and returning to work part time which I never thought possible while on oral meds.

At some point you might want to do a pump trial to see if that works better with less side efects. When we start reaching higher doses than most docs would use, there are some real advantages to the pump as far as decreased side effects. I was rotating between 120mgs of meth and 600 mgs of morphine when I did my trial and implant. The constipation from high dose orals was pretty miserable although I did accomadate to the side effects like drowsiness and that opiate fog. Even though we do accomadate and get used to those feelings after years on an oral meds. There is simply no describing ho w much better I felt with the pump. Getting used to something isn't the same as not expereincing them and the difference was night and day going to the pump.

It took 2 trials because the first one causeed a spinal fluid leak but my wife, doc and myself couldn't be happier with the difference going from orals to a pump. When we have been on high doses of opiates for years, I think we simply forget what it's like to feel this clear headed untill we are given the opportunity to have the same pain relief with just a few mgs of a med delivered to the right place. WE have exponentialy more opiate receptors in the spinal cord that orals simply won't reach. 1/50th or 1/100th the dose can give more relief and do away with side efefcts we didn't even realize existed or simply were so used to we stop acknowledging them.

Common sense does say, how can anyone take 600 mgs of morphine and not have any impairment or side efects that are unpleaseant but we become used to it, we learn to accept them in order to make the pain tolerable. It doesn't have to be that way if you respond well to intrathecal opiates.

At best I get 50% pain relief from the pump, Orals were no better but with a clear head it's easier to cope with the pain meds can't relieve. Getting off that rolller coaster that even long acting meds create. No matter if it's a 8 hour med,12 hour ,24 hour or 3 day patch, we notice when it's time to take another dose. The pump does away with that and you don't have to worry about where your going to be when it's time for the next dose or patch change if you have to drive an hour after you have taken the last dose. THe dose delivered couldn't be more consistant other than programmed increases for aditional evening pain or morning pain.

The only time frame I have to worry about now is a 10 week pump refill and even that's consistant. It's done well before it runs out and I notice no change before or after a refill. It's freeedom you can never have with orals.

Good luck with the change and just keep in mind the pump is an option when you start aproaching doses that are harder and harder to to say don't effect us.

Take care, Dave

Old 03-19-2007, 08:06 AM   #6
(female)

skiilady HB User

Thanks so much guys. I'm on my way to have the spinal block. Yes trow I will let you know how it went. I just wanted to check to see if you guys had answered me yet. I appreciate it tremendously.

Thanks,
skiilady

Closed Thread