It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

dani808 HB User
Question What is the deal with Methadone?

I have been reading the posts here and see a lot of people are on Methadone. I have heard some really bad things about it so I never considered it as an option for me, but seeing that so many of you are in it, I wonder if I was misinformed. I was told that it was created by German scientists and tested on prisoners by the ****s during the holocaust. (Doesn't have anything to do with the effectiveness I know, just a disturbing fact that has to do with principles) Then I was told that it is worse than heroin and that it is like tar and sticks to everything in your body and takes years to get out of all of your tissues and organs. I was also under the impression that unlike other meds where you can taper off on your own in a matter of weeks, with methadone, it takes years and your doc has to control it so you have no control over your schedule. I also heard that the WDs are compared to heroin and if you just stop taking it you can actually die. The benefits I hear are that is is effective for most types of pain, and that it doesn't get you "high" so you don't have to deal with the psychological part of the addiction and people don't abuse it like they do other drugs that give you the "buzz". I would love to hear your opinions on this. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: What is the deal with Methadone?

Hi Dan, You have a lot of misinformation and mixed information from it's use in methadone maint for addiction. You do have to do a lot of digging past the Meth maint to actually find the practical aplicatins in pain management.

As far as being tested on prisoners, I never heard that one. The opium flow was deminished due to embargos and Dolophine was created in germany during WW11 as a synthetic, It didn't make it to practical application because of the wide and unpredictable response when tried on patients in pain. If you took a 100 patients comfortably taking 20 mgs of morphine every 4 hours the conveersion rate can be anywhere from 1:1 for ingle dose comparison to 10:1. and even more unusual, te higher the dose of morphine the lower the conversion factor is. This unpredictable quality is why it didn't become popular untill after years of use in meth clinics. Basically it's a 2nd or third line drug docs use in PM. Docs always start low and titrate slowly because they can't predict the conversion rate the way they can with other opiates.

As far as sticking to organs, again, not exactly. It binds to fat cells creating a long half life. If you were to start taking it daily, at say 20 mgs a day, due to the long half life your serum level won't reach steady state untill at least the 5th day, By the 5th day, the plasma level would be almost twice what the single daily dose would create. So docs simply need to use more caution when converting it. As far as switching away from meth or discontinuing it. No drug is fun to DC cold turkey but people don't die from meth withdrawal, not from heroin and not from morphine.

If a patient was found to be absuing their meth they can be discharged cold turkey and although very unpleaseant for several weeks, you won't die unless you hav an underlying heart and BP condition that would kill you if anything increased you BP and put the stress on your that withdrawal from any med does.

It doesn't take years to discontinue, even in meth maint the aproved detox period is a 21 day taper. The problem with comparing detoxing an addict to detoxing a pain patient is the rate of return to use of IV drug use is higher than 90% of IV opiate addicts anyway. Patients that abuse opiates simply have a very difficult time giving it up, partly due to the severity of opiate withdrawal and partly due to the the intensity of the high and level of psycological dependence and physical.

A 21 day taper is actually prety fast for a CP patient but many docs believe it's almost self tapering due to the long half life. If you stopped today, your serum level will drop by half for 5 or 6 days untill there is virtually nothing but residual stored in fat cells.

Reading about alot of people on this forum on methadone doesn't make it the standard of care in pain management. People even using opiates isn't the standard of care in PM. It's the last resort when everything else has failed, although many folks have limited knowledge of what else is available as far as PM often recomend it it as if it's no big deal to go to the PM doc and get a script for methadone. It's actually a very big deal and docs want to try other meds first that they can predict the patient response. THere are also dozens of pain management meds and modalities that don't include opiates.

If you read one of my post 3 years ago whan I was taking meth, it may apear that using meth is quite common, but what people don't realize when reading a post about the meds other people take is the history prior to using that med. I had 3 back surgeries that failed. I went through 3 month long 8 hour a day PM clinics before the first pain med was ever prescribed for chronic pain. I learned Bio feedback, self hypnosis, Guided imagry, tried acupuncture, chriopractic, months and round after round of different types of pT from the McKenzie method to myofacial release to scar management. I had a tens unti, I tried TINS "acupuncture where electric current is pased through each needle." I tried every anti depressant and multiple antiseizure meds, Ultram, NSaids, nerve blocks trigger pint injections, steroids etc etc etc before being given my first opiate for chronic pain.

The last clinic I attended was 8 hours a day, you went to PT twice a day, you saw a nutritionist and leaned the cnonection between foods and pain, We saw a PhD in Pharamcology, learned Bio feedback, had group counseling and individual cousnseling, we went to ocupational therapy , and learned every thing they could teach about chronic pain and learning to cope with pain. Everyone had UA's and was screened for drugs and not everyone was given pain meds if they weren't willing to comply with every aspect of the program or there was a chance their condition would improve. Opiates were the absolute last resort. So I have a different perspective on opiate use than someone that had surgery last year, continued to complain of pain so the surgeon sent them to a PM doc because he wasn't going to continue to prescribe opiates more than 2-3 months post op.

None of the LA meds were even available until after my second surgery.
Now people expect opiates to be prescribed from reading about patients like me and patients that found a PM doc wiling to presribe pain meds. You don't know what each person went through before reaching the point of using methadone. Generally meth is still a second or third line med, meaning they try oxycontin, long acting morphine, duragesic patches, not to mention nerve blocks, trigger point injections, epidural steroid , nerve ablation with phenol or Radio frequency.

I can't put my entire history in every post and its unlikely any other patient has their entire history or bio in a post when talking about the med they are on now. This gives a unrealistic expectation that this is the norm when it's not if a patient is being referred to PM because their surgeon or GP is no longer comfy prescribing Vicodin or percocet. Many PM docs don't use opiates on any patients, some are selevtive on who they use, and some are quacks that give opiates to anyone that complains of pain. You don't know what each persons case is so try not to compare your situation or someone else use of meds to what you feel should be used or tried on you.

Now I have a pump, there are several people here that have implanted morphine/dilaudid or pumps that deliver fentanyl along with adjunct meds like Maracaine, clonodine or baclofen. I understand your looking for an answer, but you have to take what you read with perspective and perhaps ask how long or how many docs or how many modalities were tried before the first doc prescribed long acting pain meds or methadone.

Reading about folks taking these meds doesn't mean it was easy to find a doc or that opiates were used in the patients first 5 years of chronic pain or involvement in PM. It doesn't mean that it's easy to get a PM doc to implant a pump or prescribe long acting pain meds whether it's Oxycontin or methadone. Any opiate can be abused , even meth. The dangerous thing about abusing meth is that a patient may take a few pills and not feel the buzz they remeber from the first time they took Percocet, so they take a few more and still don't feel it, then they take double the dose hoping to find that buzz and by then it's too late, all the previous doses are still in their system and the last dose was enough to cause respirtory supression to the point of death before a buzz is obtained.

There may be a honeymoon period with any med where the patient feels a false sense of well being, but that's the first thing that goes with opiates when used for chroic pain. The last thing to go is pain relief. In between the first and last, patients become acomadated to side efects like nausea, hot flashes, sweating, urinary retention, ED, loss of labido. Some side efects deminish and some don't.

Although you may read about 20 different people taking meth if you read this forum everyday for a month, there are hundreds still trying nerve blocks, ultram, trigger point injections, seeing PM psychologist to learn coping skills and relaxation techniques and ocaisionally someone finds a quack willing to risk his licence on every patient that complains of pain regardless if they have ever tried any other method to manage it.

Good luck, Dave

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shoreline For This Useful Post:
mytrose43 (02-16-2011), rsdfoot (12-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

dani808 HB User

Thanks Dave. Now I see why everyone is asking for your advice.

I understand what you mean by people just expecting narcotics right away before exploring other options. I did the same thing you did, by trying bio-feedback, tap field therapy, acupuncture(deep needling which sucks!), EMDR etc. because I just really didn't want to take anything synthetic. After my second surgery I was so exhausted by the pain and became so depressed, I finally decided to seek narcotic therapy. When I went through chemo 2-years ago, that is when I was on the strongest and most meds, and is why I am having the tolerance issues I have now. (I think once have screwed with your tolerance, it is screwed for life! ) I have chosen, each time they suggest something stronger, to pull myself off entirely in the hopes that I can keep this under some kind of control, but I get tired of suffering and the depression that follows that is unberable so I give in. You have obviously been there and back I am sure! I just hate this lose/lose situation I am in. You work so hard to get yourself to a comofortable level and routine, but then your body just seems to crave the drama or something and you have to start all over again! So I am glad to find this board and see what others are trying and have gone through. I am hoping it might eliminate some of the trial and error factor that comes with PM.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Dani, It sounds like you have been through the ringer and that's something we don't always get from reading a first post. I don't know if I'm talking to someone that was just released from their surgeon after being tapered down but still has pain or someone like yourslef. Obviously Meth wouldn't be a first line drug with you as you have been exposed to many other meds.

In that case, meth can have advantages as far as controlling tolerance and increasing pain threshold due to it's ability to block NMDA receptor activity. Nemanda was developed for parkinsons but also has NMDA blocking ability and it worked so well my wife who also has major issues unrelated to mine was able to decrease her LA morphine dose by 2/3rds once Nemanada was added.

As far as what I meant by the last thing that you grow tolerant to is the anelgesic effects. The first thing that goes is euphoria, then you get used to the side effects and the last thing is the anelgesic effect which means it's time for a change. Either an icrease or an adjunct or a change in meds. If people assciate the feeling a med creates aside from plain pain relief and think the med is no longer working, it's easy to sky rocket tolerance thinking if it doesn't create those feelings it must not be working. Obviously most folks on long term pain meds no longer get the feeling the first time they were exposed to the med get, but that doesn't mean it;s not working on pain. Just to clarify what I meant by the last thig that goes is the anelgesia.

Meth does have a big stereo type even among docs . I've read too often where even docs think that if your taking meth it must be for addiction when it's simply not true. It is a very unique drug as far as NMDA blocking and it's efectiveness on nerve pain. Personally I couldn't wait to get off the stuff simply because of the side effects I couldn't get used too. I called it the meth Blahs, but we all respond to meds differently. Swithing to the pump and the low doses required was like going from a very grey world back to a life of full color. That was just my response. Others do better and others simply can't tolerate it. But you don't know until you give it a try.

As far as the steoreo types, you don't have to worry about what the pharamcist thinks because they know addics aren't given a month supply at a time , they get a single dose per day and once proven they are allowed weekend take home doses, but that's as far as it goes for meth maint.

I don't have alot of time now but there is some good info out there, Unfortunately were limited to the links we can post and trying to repeat the technical stuff verbatum just isn't possible. That characteristic of the higher the dose of other opiates the lower the conversion factor may be pleasing as far as your concern about ever increasing doses. I was able to stay on the same dose for almost 3 years, when I did finally need an increase, it was so intolerable it sealed my decision to do a pump trial. At that time I couldn''t walk or stand for more than 20 minutes without breaking into a sweat and looking for a place to lay down. Since having the pump implanted, I started working out again and after 7 months of pushing myself harder than any doc or PT would have ever asked, I returned to work part time last september. Although it's part time as far as number of days a week, I do 2-3, 8-10 hour days a week. It kicks the crud out of me and I pay for it for a couple days after wards, but simply getting out of the house is so beneficial not to mention the money, I couldn't be happier with my decidion.

I'm actually looking forward to this battery running out and getting the synchromed 11, It has a take home telemetry unit that alows the patient to administer bolus doses. I would gladly trade all orals for that ability as I don't have the side effects with pump meds that I did with orals.

Even BT meds make me feel impaired which limits my activity when I have to take them. I'm so distracted and engageed at work I haven't used a BT med yet. Partly because I don't need it and partly because I don't want to be impaired while at work and have to drive home. It may be an option if meth doesn't work out and your in the position of knowing your prognosis isn't going to improve. Meaning you have to accept pain is something you have to live with the rest of your life or untill some miracle happens that could resolve your pain issues. The pump has been my miracle.

Nice meeting you and I'm sure your experiences will add a lot to the forum too.
Take care, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 03-19-2007 at 08:34 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shoreline For This Useful Post:
rsdfoot (12-02-2011)
Old 03-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

dani808 HB User

What is BT meds? I don't know that term.

You make a good point about being so distracted at work you dont' have need for meds. That is an issue I am just realizing (the psychological issue that pain meds have). The other day I was off work laying around bored watching Star Trek re-runs and I was taking something every 4-6 hours. The next day, I was busy building a website and my mind was so engaged in the activity that 8 hours went by and I didn't notice my pain until I sat down to eat. So now, I am trying to find things that complete engage my brain. I just bought a Gameboy and a few games, and I am going to test it and see if I can focus on the game and keep my mind off the pain. This may be the new alternative I have been looking for. I think this is a form of the visualization and meditation we have all been through in therapy, but for me, I had trouble quieting my mind so the logical solution seems to be the opposite, which is non-quiet distractions that are designed to distract with their distractions instead of trying to distract through calm. This is something I am going to look into more,I am sure I am not the only one who have found this type of distraction technique.

I am going to research meth more too, as you have given me enough vaild points that make it worth revisiting. As always, thanks for your infinite knowledge!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:22 PM   #6
(female)

browniiz HB User

I was given Methadone while in the hospital to replace the Percocets I take for pain. The idea behind it is that it is a longer acting pain killer. Lucky for me I had some severe reactions and was taken off it in two days. My normally hight blood pressure bottomed out making it hard to even walk. Also I couldn't urinate without sitting there for at east an hour at a time. After much reading I found that methadone is one of the hardest drugs to withdraw from. I am so glad I stopped taking it right away

Old 07-04-2010, 06:38 AM   #7
(male)

CocoMilkbone HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline View Post
Hi Dan, You have a lot of misinformation and mixed information from it's use in methadone maint for addiction. You do have to do a lot of digging past the Meth maint to actually find the practical aplicatins in pain management.

As far as being tested on prisoners, I never heard that one. The opium flow was deminished due to embargos and Dolophine was created in germany during WW11 as a synthetic, It didn't make it to practical application because of the wide and unpredictable response when tried on patients in pain. If you took a 100 patients comfortably taking 20 mgs of morphine every 4 hours the conveersion rate can be anywhere from 1:1 for ingle dose comparison to 10:1. and even more unusual, te higher the dose of morphine the lower the conversion factor is. This unpredictable quality is why it didn't become popular untill after years of use in meth clinics. Basically it's a 2nd or third line drug docs use in PM. Docs always start low and titrate slowly because they can't predict the conversion rate the way they can with other opiates.

As far as sticking to organs, again, not exactly. It binds to fat cells creating a long half life. If you were to start taking it daily, at say 20 mgs a day, due to the long half life your serum level won't reach steady state untill at least the 5th day, By the 5th day, the plasma level would be almost twice what the single daily dose would create. So docs simply need to use more caution when converting it. As far as switching away from meth or discontinuing it. No drug is fun to DC cold turkey but people don't die from meth withdrawal, not from heroin and not from morphine.

If a patient was found to be absuing their meth they can be discharged cold turkey and although very unpleaseant for several weeks, you won't die unless you hav an underlying heart and BP condition that would kill you if anything increased you BP and put the stress on your that withdrawal from any med does.

It doesn't take years to discontinue, even in meth maint the aproved detox period is a 21 day taper. The problem with comparing detoxing an addict to detoxing a pain patient is the rate of return to use of IV drug use is higher than 90% of IV opiate addicts anyway. Patients that abuse opiates simply have a very difficult time giving it up, partly due to the severity of opiate withdrawal and partly due to the the intensity of the high and level of psycological dependence and physical.

A 21 day taper is actually prety fast for a CP patient but many docs believe it's almost self tapering due to the long half life. If you stopped today, your serum level will drop by half for 5 or 6 days untill there is virtually nothing but residual stored in fat cells.

Reading about alot of people on this forum on methadone doesn't make it the standard of care in pain management. People even using opiates isn't the standard of care in PM. It's the last resort when everything else has failed, although many folks have limited knowledge of what else is available as far as PM often recomend it it as if it's no big deal to go to the PM doc and get a script for methadone. It's actually a very big deal and docs want to try other meds first that they can predict the patient response. THere are also dozens of pain management meds and modalities that don't include opiates.

If you read one of my post 3 years ago whan I was taking meth, it may apear that using meth is quite common, but what people don't realize when reading a post about the meds other people take is the history prior to using that med. I had 3 back surgeries that failed. I went through 3 month long 8 hour a day PM clinics before the first pain med was ever prescribed for chronic pain. I learned Bio feedback, self hypnosis, Guided imagry, tried acupuncture, chriopractic, months and round after round of different types of pT from the McKenzie method to myofacial release to scar management. I had a tens unti, I tried TINS "acupuncture where electric current is pased through each needle." I tried every anti depressant and multiple antiseizure meds, Ultram, NSaids, nerve blocks trigger pint injections, steroids etc etc etc before being given my first opiate for chronic pain.

The last clinic I attended was 8 hours a day, you went to PT twice a day, you saw a nutritionist and leaned the cnonection between foods and pain, We saw a PhD in Pharamcology, learned Bio feedback, had group counseling and individual cousnseling, we went to ocupational therapy , and learned every thing they could teach about chronic pain and learning to cope with pain. Everyone had UA's and was screened for drugs and not everyone was given pain meds if they weren't willing to comply with every aspect of the program or there was a chance their condition would improve. Opiates were the absolute last resort. So I have a different perspective on opiate use than someone that had surgery last year, continued to complain of pain so the surgeon sent them to a PM doc because he wasn't going to continue to prescribe opiates more than 2-3 months post op.

None of the LA meds were even available until after my second surgery.
Now people expect opiates to be prescribed from reading about patients like me and patients that found a PM doc wiling to presribe pain meds. You don't know what each person went through before reaching the point of using methadone. Generally meth is still a second or third line med, meaning they try oxycontin, long acting morphine, duragesic patches, not to mention nerve blocks, trigger point injections, epidural steroid , nerve ablation with phenol or Radio frequency.

I can't put my entire history in every post and its unlikely any other patient has their entire history or bio in a post when talking about the med they are on now. This gives a unrealistic expectation that this is the norm when it's not if a patient is being referred to PM because their surgeon or GP is no longer comfy prescribing Vicodin or percocet. Many PM docs don't use opiates on any patients, some are selevtive on who they use, and some are quacks that give opiates to anyone that complains of pain. You don't know what each persons case is so try not to compare your situation or someone else use of meds to what you feel should be used or tried on you.

Now I have a pump, there are several people here that have implanted morphine/dilaudid or pumps that deliver fentanyl along with adjunct meds like Maracaine, clonodine or baclofen. I understand your looking for an answer, but you have to take what you read with perspective and perhaps ask how long or how many docs or how many modalities were tried before the first doc prescribed long acting pain meds or methadone.

Reading about folks taking these meds doesn't mean it was easy to find a doc or that opiates were used in the patients first 5 years of chronic pain or involvement in PM. It doesn't mean that it's easy to get a PM doc to implant a pump or prescribe long acting pain meds whether it's Oxycontin or methadone. Any opiate can be abused , even meth. The dangerous thing about abusing meth is that a patient may take a few pills and not feel the buzz they remeber from the first time they took Percocet, so they take a few more and still don't feel it, then they take double the dose hoping to find that buzz and by then it's too late, all the previous doses are still in their system and the last dose was enough to cause respirtory supression to the point of death before a buzz is obtained.

There may be a honeymoon period with any med where the patient feels a false sense of well being, but that's the first thing that goes with opiates when used for chroic pain. The last thing to go is pain relief. In between the first and last, patients become acomadated to side efects like nausea, hot flashes, sweating, urinary retention, ED, loss of labido. Some side efects deminish and some don't.

Although you may read about 20 different people taking meth if you read this forum everyday for a month, there are hundreds still trying nerve blocks, ultram, trigger point injections, seeing PM psychologist to learn coping skills and relaxation techniques and ocaisionally someone finds a quack willing to risk his licence on every patient that complains of pain regardless if they have ever tried any other method to manage it.

Good luck, Dave
Hi Dave

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate issue with your pain. I know I shouldnít compare my procedures with yours but really. You had to go through so much to be prescribed your first opioid?

This was not the case for me I am a chronic pain sufferer for 8 yrs but I'm new to pain management. I have been on hydrocodone for quite a while until it just stopped working for me and my pain has been increasing alot the last 8 months. At this point my PC sent me to PM. I didnít have much luck with my first PM doc. She gave me neurontin with no pain meds and scheduled a nerve block but never called me back so I found another PM doc.

I have did the EMS PT and acupuncture Chiropractor all in the past as well and all with little results. The only thing that has really given me some significant relief other than pain meds has been the EMS.

I have been told by several specialist my pain issue is hard to diagnose. Old L3 Fracture has caused DD, spinal narrowing, stenosis and nerve root damage from L2-S1 and facet arthritis. Had Orthopedic do facet injections didnít help and caused unbearable pain for 2 weeks after procedure.

From day one my next PM doc gave me pain meds. After my nerve block procedure he prescribed me something stronger cause I was actually in more pain after procedure. He told me about the tolerance building but he said he thinks its the right thing to do since I'm so miserable. He asked me what opioid worked for me in the past and would prescribe it. I still believe my current PM doc is very caring and is really concerned with helping me, he spent alot of time talking to me before any procedure.

I cant believe you had to go through that much to get some pain meds for relief. Do you feel these doctors you go to actually had compassion or just making money? I have a great job thankfully and have to work for a living and cant work without my pain meds, 8 hours a day in a clinic setting ? This is overkill and absurd. I donít feel most people in chronic pain would have had to go through that many procedures to get prescribed pain meds in a PM setting, did they feel you had signs of a drug seeker or something?, makes no sense. And I disagree opoids being when all else fails with chronic pain, especially for me since its my back and they cant figure out the pain generator. When all else fails then that is when its time to think about surgery. I would have fired that PM and moved on a long time ago. When I'm in chronic pain and its a steady 7-8 all the time every day without pain meds, addiction is the least of my concerns.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
(female)

missippimom53 HB User

I do not pretend to be a doctor or to know everything. I know this - my sister took Methadone for three days and DIED. She went to sleep and did not wake up. Methadone is a difficult drug to predict and doctors have a hard time with it. This came from one if the most respected cancer pain control doctors in the country. Last month a man I know got 8 methadone 10's from an RN he knew to control pain. He had taken it a few years ago with no problems. Two days later he was found dead in his bed by a friend of mine. I beg you to reconsider before taking this drug. If there is anything else you can use please do so, It is a very difficult drug to use and you could die.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
(female)

jenn1977 HB User
Thumbs down Re: What is the deal with Methadone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani808 View Post
I have been reading the posts here and see a lot of people are on Methadone. I have heard some really bad things about it so I never considered it as an option for me, but seeing that so many of you are in it, I wonder if I was misinformed. I was told that it was created by German scientists and tested on prisoners by the ****s during the holocaust. (Doesn't have anything to do with the effectiveness I know, just a disturbing fact that has to do with principles) Then I was told that it is worse than heroin and that it is like tar and sticks to everything in your body and takes years to get out of all of your tissues and organs. I was also under the impression that unlike other meds where you can taper off on your own in a matter of weeks, with methadone, it takes years and your doc has to control it so you have no control over your schedule. I also heard that the WDs are compared to heroin and if you just stop taking it you can actually die. The benefits I hear are that is is effective for most types of pain, and that it doesn't get you "high" so you don't have to deal with the psychological part of the addiction and people don't abuse it like they do other drugs that give you the "buzz". I would love to hear your opinions on this. Thanks!
Hi Dani! I was on methadone for almost 5 yrs and recently just detoxed myself. It was the hardest thing to do. You are absolutely right about where it originated from. The Germans used it as a form of anesthesia during the holocost to amputate limbs from injured people. If that doesnt give u an idea of how strong it is......! The pain is unbearable. It still makes me feel a little sick to speak about it. I have been off for 2 months and have to "reset" my brain to work properly again. I am blessed to be alive. Methadone is the most powerfulo drug out there and i hope it does become illegal. It does not get u high. That is correct, however it does put you in a comatose state. I slept at least 20 hrs out of the day for almost 5 yrs. I am so happy it wasnt an option for you. I would recommend anyone who trys it to do their homework. People do abuse it. The clinics will let you increase your dose as much and as often as you like. Little do people kmow it saturates your fatty tisues and stays in your body for up to 2 yrs. My withdrawls were so bad i dropped 40 lbs in 2 months. I could go on about this forever. Hope this helped...Jenn1977

Old 08-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

I have been in PM for about 2 years-I suffered for a solid year after my accident 2007- i went thru similar treatments as Shoreline before the prescbing of narcotics began-and i only get relief,although it is minimal from my narcotic medications- i believe i was tortured un-necissarily; but at the time i didnt know-i just did what the doctors told me to do because i was desperate for pain relief; but none of the other treatments helped the severe intractable pain and i was at my wits end-and then they started me on narcotic pain medications and i got my life back. I do not function at the same level prior to my accident, but with the help/ relief i get with narcotic pain medication, i can get out of bed, i can go on the internet-simple things you take for granted-like brushing your teeth. they have made a positive difference in my life.

Last edited by BB07; 08-23-2010 at 11:16 PM.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
(male)

DIZZE88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani808 View Post
Its a grt pain reliever with no euphoria so if someone like myself has chronic pain and issues with an addictive personality I would highly reccomend it

Old 01-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
(female)

Chevellechic HB User

Methadone is a very addictive drug and does get you high... My brother was a pill addict and someone turned him on to methadone. It became his drug of choice and he eliminated all other pills from his life. One morning my sister in law came home from work and I woke up to her screaming for me to call 911. She was frantically performing CPR because he was not breathing. He was blue from head to toe, ice cold, and stiff as a board. My brother was dead. The paramedics revived him and the tox screens showed the only drug in his system was the methadone, but only trace amounts. It doesn't take much. If you are on this medication please be careful. I almost lost the most important person in my life because of it.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

I dont think yjat because an addict OD's on illicit methadone, you should warn people off of taking prescribed methadone as their doctor has prescribed it.

Any narcotic can stop you breathing if taken in an excessive dose, morphine, oxycodone, dilaudid - the point is, take them under medical supervision, as directed, and dont mix them with other CNS drugs ala heath ledger, unless your doctor has approved such combinations.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Closed Thread