It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Severe Muscle Spasms-Headache

Hi everybody. I sure hope that someone can give me some insight into what's going on with me. Maybe I shouldn't be posting this question here, it probably belongs on the neuro board. As a review - I suffer from osteoporosis and have had many spontaneous fractures. I've had 9 spinal operations to fuse various vertabrae and I've had a right hip replacement. OK, on to the problem: I woke up this morning with a severe headache and really severe pain in my left temporal area and jaw. It felt like I had been grinding my teeth all night long which isn't the norm for me. When I tried to move, ALL my muscles in my upper body went into a spasm. They started out feeling like I was trying to stretch my arms and my upper body to their maximum - only it went even farther than that sort of stretch. I had no control over it and my face became contorted and all my muscles were SO painful. I laid back down and noticed that everytime I tried to turn my head to the left, it would start another series of muscle spasms all throughout my body, including my legs, calf muscles, thigh muscles, etc. I felt very dizzy all day long and the only thing that stopped these uncontrolled spasms was when I took my dose of Tizanadine (Zanaflex) and my methadone AND a oxycodone 30 mg. I kept thinking that maybe I have some fluid leaking from my spine or from my head or something....don't know why I have that sense. This is so totally foreign to me. I can honestly say that this has never happened to me before. Tonight I'm not having nearly the amount of spasm that I had earlier, but now all my muscles feel like someone came along and crushed them. Does anybody have a clue as to what this could be?? I'm very worried. KathyMac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
(female)

kkgirl HB User
Re: Severe Muscle Spasms-Headache

You probably grinded your teeth during your sleep... are you stressed out more than usually or anything like that?

Old 03-26-2007, 06:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User
Re: Severe Muscle Spasms-Headache

Hi KathMac, I suffer from cervical dystonia which is where I have severe muscle spasms in my neck. These can get so severe that the cause my left shoulder to draw all the way up to my ear and cause my head to turn to one side. At times I also suffer muscle spasms in my back that leave my hunch over and I also have musle spasms that extend to the front side around my chest. I take Soma 350 mgs. a day to keep from having them but if we have severe weather or a significant weather change they will cause these even though I take these muscle relaxants all day. I hope this helps you in some way because I went through severe muscle spasms throughout my upper body before the diagnosed me with this. This muscle spasms would effect the muscles around the front of my chest if I would just simply tie my shoe or move wrong when I was bent down. They now make a device that would help with your teeth grinding that you should be able to buy at Wal-Mart or your local drug store. I hope you can find one becausing grinding your teeth is never good for you.

Last edited by rayefaye; 03-26-2007 at 06:43 AM. Reason: forgot something

Closed Thread