It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
(female)

Jenelle HB User
Baclofen vs. Gabapentin/pain clinics

I've been on Gabapentin for about three years and it's time for a change. I couldn't tolerate Lyrica or Cymbalta. I'm trying 100mg's Topamax now with 50 -60mg Methadone/day. but I see a new pain doc on Thursday. As I wrote on another post topic, I had multiple pelvic fractures, lumbar fractures with cauda equina syndrome and nerve root injuries so I have constant leg pain which is much more over whelming to me than my disks which I found out are herniated and I don't even care about that until my legs are squared away. I'm only 32, I was an athletic, fit, dancer, pilot, career girl, with a 2 yr old at the time I was hit by someone who forgot which side of the road to drive on in England. I really hope the new doctor is sympathetic and wants a new vision for me other than narcotics. I am a naturalist who took three months of classes to have my kid without anything for 19 hours ( which hurts!) and I had 18 years of very good yoga and trans meditation but I also know I can't even see straight without the help of narcotic pain meds first, then I can focus on other options. I also know the difference between the real pain and withdrawal pain so I don't wish to be taking these pills. I also worry about natural endorphin producition. Will I ever be able to make my own endorphins again if I am fixed through surgery?

I am willing to go back to pain clinics but I can't get a doctor to agree that it would be anything but a waste. Isn't is just a waste for some people?

My question is this. I will be asking a new PM doc about the spinal cord stimulator. There is a chance I may qualify for a surgical solution but my problem is on the anterior (bellybutton)side of my sacrum with the nerves where they are as wide as the palm of your hand so you all know how tricky things are and have problems that are just as complicated and as unique to you. I want to know if anyone has experience with BACLOFEN? Either oral or with the pump? We will be discussing the pump as well as the stimulator and working with the neurosurgeon. I'm praying for a good answer. I'm so sick of this. I want to get back to living and playing. I just turned 32 and entered my forth year of this but I'm way too young to be in doctor's offices all the time. I know it could be worse. I know I'm not dying of cancer but I don't feel lucky. I'm sorry. Sometimes I do. I'm not unappreciative at all. I know how good I have it.

Thank you for your assist.-jenelle We would love to read the posts uncensored if possible. Maybe they could try waiting until there's a bad post alert to alter them. Much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
(female)

sandy222 HB User
Re: Baclofen vs. Gabapentin/pain clinics

sorry to disappoint but it might work for you..i was weaned off too quickly.

I was put on oral baclofen last year for a muscle spasm in my face. i had an ear pain which then resulted in my face and tongue going into spasm..i have a history of tight muscles in my back and a torticollis and the ear pain caused everything to clench so was put on baclofen to relieve the spasm in my face. i was prescribed 30mg but on just taking 20mg my arms started burning so i reduced my dosage to 5mg to stop the burning. When i went to see my regular neurologist he just told me to come off baclofen cold turkey as it was only 5mg and that i would be fine.....well i wasnt: I began violently retching three days later after only using baclofen for two weeks and eventually after two weeks they decided to reinstate and wean me off....When i was put back on the baclofen at 5mg someone opened the doors of hell and pushed me in.

i suffered from hallucinations, violent retching, a feeling of my intestines swinging from side to side ,extreme nausea like you would not imagine..you have to live it to believe it, menstrual bleeding for 40 ..yes 40 days!! muscle rigidness and spasms, sharp shooting nerve pains, retching, couldnt sit in the bath without the sensation on my skin making me heave woosiness, giddiness, a feeling of swinging from a hammock, thoughts of impending doom..basically i thought I was going to die and wrote a goodbye letter to my family, severe headaches, gastro intestinal problems and a loooong list of other withdrawal symptoms. i have been diagnosed with central nervous system malfuntion caused by oral baclofen.

Anyway im actually looking for help here of someone who has experienced the same as me. At the moment Im 5 months off baclofen and still unable to work. My normal muscle tone has not returned and I get spasms of pain instead. i get a buzzing inside me and inner vibration.I am nauseus every morning and have an inner feeling of rotation. Doctors have been really unhelpful and have just let me get on with it. Im on half pay at the moment and in 4 months time im on nothing..This has been a tall price to pay for a muscle spasm...i went to the docs with 1 problem and got 30 back in return.

Is there anyone who is able to tell me why im still suffering and if i will eventually recover. i know people on benzos take between 6 and 18 months to recover. Is it the same as baclofen. I wanted to start a new thread about this but dont know how to or where?

Closed Thread