It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Exclamation Hyperalgesia brought up at my last appt.

Hello All-
I hope this post finds everyone having a good day. I'm not having the best because, as you read in this thread title, the subject of hyperalgesia was brought up at my last PM appointment. I'm not really sure how to take it, but I am scared.

I did want to give the concept a "fair shake", so I did some research, and I honestly do NOT feel like I fall into this category. There are several reasons and they are as follow:

1. Everything I've read basically says that this is something they feel comes from long term use of opioids and tolerance. Most of what I read said that the pain becomes worse, the doctor continues to up the dose of meds and the patient "tops out" at the max dose, yet their pain continues to escallate. Well, I'm not on any of the "high power" meds at all. I'm on more of the meds such as Neurontin & Depakote. I do have Norco in my treatment, but it's not what I consider a "high" dose. It's 7.5 mgs.

2. I've not been on these meds for an extraordinary amount of time, as I've only been seeing my doctor since October. I've never once asked for any of the high power/stronger meds. Not once.

3. My pain is NOT escallating. My pain has remained the same, and with help of the medications has moved from a level of 7 1/2- 8 down to more around a 4 1/2- 5 range and I can function without complaint. I am truly thankful for the decrease in pain because I am able to function more than I was before seeing my PM doctor.

4. In all the research I've found, they use these really BIG words, but still, my last remaining questions are these.....How in the world do all those big words and long sentences explain why I was hurting for years BEFORE I was ever referred to pain management? How does any of this apply to me since I don't have escallating pain? How in the world can anyone who hasn't had to live with chronic, intractable pain say that medications cause more pain?

I am just really saddened to think that any of us who live with maddening pain will have to give up the things that make our life even just a little more bearable. I'm not sure what will become of this until I am able to talk to my PM doctor at our next appointment. My next appointment I actually see him and not one of the other PA's. I'm going to take all the information I have and will hopefully be able speak without getting too emotional about it.

Don't get me wrong, I adore my doctor and all the PA's there because they really do listen to my concerns, but it really did scare me when the PA started explaining hyperalgesia. I didn't get upset. I listened to her and then came home and looked it up, because I wanted to see for myself what all the research says. Honestly, I don't agree with any of the research and I KNOW in my heart it doesn't apply in this case. I know my body, I know what pain is, and I know what I can and can't live with.

I'm really sorry to ramble, but I'm upset and had to get it off my chest. I do cooperate fully with my PM doctor because he is the professional, but I do hope he will listen to me and not make me feel that I'm in the wrong here. Please keep positive thoughts for all of us who might face the fallout of this new "research".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: Hyperalgesia brought up at my last appt.

Hi Ozzy,

I would be upset too. It just seems like another "all in your head" excuse to me. I know, I know, it is supposed to be a real phenomenon, but I would really hate for my pain doctor to use my name, and hyperalgesia in the same sentence. It is so sad that we now have another reason to fear a doctor's decision to stop the meds that keep us among the living. From what I have read, you don't sound like a candidate to me either. There was another post on this subject maybe a few weeks ago. Check it out.

Try not to worry, and flat out tell your doctor that you read about what she mentioned, and you respectfully disagree.

Hope that's the last you hear about it!

Amanda

Old 04-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Amanda. I appreciate your support. I did more research, and still have found no information that indicates I fall into that category, so I guess I'll just have to take it up with my PM. I'm not going to throw a fit or anything, but I don't have to agree with everything that is thrown out there just because research says this or that. I just have to be prepared and have all my ducks in a row so I don't make myself look like and idiot.

I do feel that I've got plenty of information that pretty much shows that I'm not "hyperalgesic" if that's what you call it. Either way, please wish all of us who might have to face this the best of luck.

You know, I really thought this thread would draw a bit more response. I know everybody is busy, but lots of folks have read the thread, and not much response. I'm gonna look back at that other thread you mentioned from several weeks ago. It could be I'm just beating a dead horse......

Thanks again Amanda!

Old 04-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

This is what has just happened to me. My doc decided my dose was too high. I was taking 110mgs of oxycodone/day....they make an 80mg pill and if you took that even just twice a day it would be way higher that what I was taking.
Anyway, so he switches my meds and cuts the dose in half and says if this doesn't work we're going to take you off the meds cause they are causing your pain. So I expect that when I go in next week he will take away my meds.

My only hope is that after a certain amount of time...How long???....he will see that I am still in pain and we can start over?!? I don't know.

Maybe I will just ask my primary to handle my pain but I'm pretty sure she's not comfortable with that so I don't know where this leaves me.
I don't know what we can to to stop this new trend. It seems to me like an excuse to take away everyone's pain meds and make the DEA happy.

Please let me know what your pm says when you go back. When's your appointment? Thanks and take care~Mush

Old 04-04-2007, 04:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trowftd3-
I'm really sorry you are having to deal with this. It's really scarey for all of us who are taking any kind of pain med. I am not savy when it comes to a strong knowledge of what is and isn't considered "high" doses of certian medications, but I do know that I'm not on any kind of oxycontins, oxycodones, fentanyls, duragesic, or any of the other strong medications. The only opiate I take is the Norco 7.5/325. The rest of my meds are things such as Neurontin & Depakote.

My feelings are that even if someone is taking the higher power meds and they need them to function, then why not allow them to have what helps them function and live at least a somewhat normal life? I know pain management isn't totally about taking pills, and it souldn't be. I use an Alpha Stim, I use relaxation techniques, stretching, meditation, warm and cold compress, etc. I've been through too many intense rounds of PT to count, had steroid injections, trigger point, bio-feedback, hydro therapy, and a few other things.

Having said that, I do still strongly believe that when someone obviously needs medications added to their regimine, then they should be able to have access to them. Especially when it's been proven that they need them and have tried all the other methods without success. I am totally compliant with my PM contract and do everything in my power to help them to help me. I have altered my lifestyle and have stopped doing many of the things I love and want to do because I don't want to suffer the pain these activities will bring, so have many other chronic pain sufferers. It's not like we are expecting a pill to be the cure-all, but many of us do need them.

Thanks for your reply and support. I'm sending positive thoughts your way. I do hope you will not be made to stop any of the meds you need. Take care!

Old 04-04-2007, 04:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Oxxy, I hope he at least gave you a kiss before bending you over. I guess if someone having pain if thier dose is cut in half is the new scientic way to check for hyeralgesia we all have it. I wonder whatit means when someone pain is relieved when their dose is increased, Hyperalggesia.

Sorry you didn't get the reponse you were hoping for. Things are always slower over the weekend, and I really don't think anyone could direct you to some prinytabake info that states the oposite opinion would ven make a diference. If you say you do feel better just to keep half you meds, you proove his popint and if you complainof pain from the reduction ofmeds, you provve his point. They call that a two headed quater where the coin toss is always predictable. It's certainly not the case of high dose with mush or your dose, it's just the new way to stop prescribing opiates. If you happen to fall nto the undiagnosed catagory, I would certainl look for that solid DX along with a new doc if you simply can't function half o an already low dose of meds.

I really fel for you guys, but this may be the reversal in trends I had feared due to the huge increase in the number of patient going to PM simply because they feel just as entitled to be on opiates as the next person. I can't say howmany times I have read a statement where a patient says it's the PM job to prescribe me these meds, that's what they are made for so why shouldn't he give them to me. Unfortunately that population of entitled PM patientsd has grown to record numbers and they need to control the growth in some way. In the states the easiest way is preesure frm the DEA, I imagine ya'll have something similar down under that monitors and controls the use of illegal drugs and over prescribing of prescription meds. Perhap he's beeing squeezed and this is simply their response. Personaly it's about as believable as holidays being an effective way to manage tolerance.

Sorry ladies, Take care, Dave

Old 04-04-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dave-
Thank you for your input. I appreciate the support. I just don't know what to do. I do have diagnosis of saphenous neuropathy, RSD, IBS, hyperlaxity/hypermobility, and although no one else ever mentioned this, my PM doctor said he feels I have fibro as well. I don't know if you can call the fibro part a concrete diagnosis, because I don't even know if there are tests that can be run to diagnose it or not. I feel that my medical file speaks for itself.

The PA at my last appoinment did lower the Norco to the 5/325, and I accepted it without question because I am a compliant patient. Yes, my pain is in the 7 range now as opposed to the 4-5 range it hovered at while being able to use the 7.5/325 Norco, but like you said, if I say that my pain is elevated with the lower dose, they can say hyperalgesia, and if I say I can manage with the increased pain, again, they can say hyperalgesia. It truly is a catch 22.

I just really hope that at my next appointment I will be able to speak candidly and be understood. I hope that this will work out. Like I said before, I'm not taking really potent meds here and have never even requested them because once my pain levels went to the 4-5 range, I was totally amazed and greatful for that. I can deal with that. I can deal with having to alter my lifestyle, I can even deal with knowing my pain will not go away totally. What I can't deal with is someone telling me this is all in my head. Believe me, if it WAS as simple as just not taking meds that would make this pain stop, I wouldn't even take a baby aspirin.

I can't stand the thought of going back to living with all of that pain. I was missing out on life, and I don't want to go back there ever again. I am a mother and a wife and I have responsibilities. Being in pain management has allowed me to function more in the way I need to function. I HATED having to miss everything- it wasn't fair to my kids, my husband or to me. I am truly scared I could just cry.

Again, thank you for your response. Take care!

Old 04-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
(female)

Query HB User

My advice to both of you, and anyone who is in this situation (of being 'diagnosed' with hyperalgesia) is to RUN NOW, and get a different doctor before this doctor destroys your medical file. You cannot reason with this. Don't try.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzybug View Post
I can't stand the thought of going back to living with all of that pain. I was missing out on life, and I don't want to go back there ever again. I am a mother and a wife and I have responsibilities. Being in pain management has allowed me to function more in the way I need to function. I HATED having to miss everything- it wasn't fair to my kids, my husband or to me. I am truly scared I could just cry.

Again, thank you for your response. Take care!
My thoughts exactly!!! I go back on the 11th to face the music!
I have to drive an hour tomorrow to pick up my prescription because he didn't even give me enough to make it to my next appointment.
I'm going to ask to start over with a new pulmonologist.....
Thanks for your input Dave!~Mush

Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Query-
Hey there. I do hope this doesn't become an issue. My doctor's PA didn't actually say she thinks I have it, but she DID discuss it, which could possibly mean that they are trying to see what I think about it, or it could mean that they are basically telling me they think this is true, and are maybe trying to prepare me for the fact that they are going to tell me to come off the meds. I am hoping & praying that the latter doesn't happen because that will mean going back to excruciating, constant pain levels with no relief, which in turn will mean I start missing out on living my life again. If that happens, I really don't know what I'll do.

I drive almost 2 hours to see my PM doctor because the selection of doctors where I live is very small. It causes severe pain every time I have a doctor's visit because of the travel time in the car both ways, plus the hour- hour & a half - two hour visit. All that sitting really sets my pain levels into high gear. There are many times I almost can't walk the following day/days. I usually bring along some of the Therma-Care heat patches for my lower back, neck & knee for the ride home. I can't wear them on the way there because the doctor can't tell if I have any "hot" areas if I've had the patches on already.

Back on subject....not to keep saying the same thing over and over again- but still ALL the information I am able to find continues to point against me falling into this category. I honestly feel that even the folks who truly need the more potent "high power" meds don't fall into that category either.

Again, I have to ask- if hyperalgesia were a real thing, then how do these researchers explain the fact that we (CP'ers) had long term, chronic, intractable pain PRIOR to ever being referred to a pain management doctor? Yes, we may have lived with the horrid pain before being able to see a PM doctor and before taking any kind of medication, BUT, we did that because we had no choice. And our quality of life just plain sucked. I never even knew there was such a thing as a pain management doctor until my cousin was referred to one after living in excruciating pain from a very young age until she was 18 years old or so. Call me ignorant, but it's true. Pain management wasn't even brought up to me until I had been in pain for years and had endured all the other modalities mentioned in one of my previous posts.

I just have to pray & trust that my PM will listen to me, and will not decide that hyperalgesia is something to consider in this case. I have no choice but to respectfully disagree with all that research, as someone else already mentioned.

Trowftd3- I will keep positive thoughts for you and your next appointment. I'll keep you in my prayers. (Not to offend you if you aren't a religious person). Please let us know how that appointment goes. My next appointment isn't until May, so I have to hold out until then.

Anyone else who has any suggestions, support to offer, or just information and feedback at all, please chime in.

Last edited by ozzybug; 04-05-2007 at 02:45 PM.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

You bet!

Sending positive vibes, happy thoughts, prayers and crossed fingers your way!!

Thanks for the same.~Mush

Closed Thread