It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User
Vicodin vs. Percocet

Hi, all,

I am having surgery soon for a herniated disc in my cervical spine. I have been taking Vicodin (2 pills/day) and Naproxen. I was wondering what the difference is between Vicodin and Percocet? Would one be better than the other?

THanks,
Lisa

The Following User Says Thank You to poopoopadoop For This Useful Post:
UrsuelaJanie (03-13-2012)
Old 04-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User
Re: Vicodin vs. Percocet

The other names for them are: hydrocodone (V) vs oxycodone (P). They are both narcotics. However, a doctor can only call in Vicodin to the Pharmacy. The patient has to have an actual script for each fill for Percocet. Percocet has No Refills, where Vicodin can have refills. Someone else here may know more differences.

But people react differently to them. People's receptor cells in their brains are different ....so some people get better relief from one drug, b/c more gets into their system through their receptor cells. I think you have to try each to see what works better for you. Good Luck with that surgery!

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations
Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Last edited by babs17; 04-03-2007 at 07:27 PM. Reason: spelling error

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
(female)

Jenelle HB User

Vicodin is a "hydro"codone along with lortab and many other meds you'll see the names of.

Percocet is an "oxy" codone. an "oxy" is 1.5 times stronger than the vicoden. so, 1=1.5

Old 04-04-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
(female)

blondie817 HB User

I agree with everyone. From my personal experience Percocet helps with the pain a lot better than Vicodin. Is your pain getting worse? I know that my dr tried to switch me from Percocet to Ultram because she told me Percocet is not a long term solution, but apparently Ultram is?

Old 04-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

blondie...I think what your MD was trying to say is that living on any breakthrough medicine is no way to live. I mean in a Utopian world where everything is happy and perfect, no medicine would be best...but, if you need something to help settle the pain everyday, then your best bet is an Extended release medicine such as Oxycontin, MsContin, and Methadone. And no need for B/T meds. It takes some work to get top that point. But that should be the goal.

Oh, blondie...LOL...I think you hit the submit button a few extra times. LOL. Check it out!

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations
Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Old 04-04-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Lisa, As other have said oxycodone is stronger and has tighter controls as far as prescribing and the ability to call in versus a clas 111 med thlike hydro thant can be called in with several refils on it.

I've had 3 back surgeries and all 3 I used hydrocodne for pre-op and came home with percocet for the imediate post op pain, within a few weeks the surgeons usually step you back down to to hydrocodne and if all goes well, you should wake up from surgery with problems like leg pain relived and only have the surgical pain to deal with, That gets better in a few weeks and with simple disc surgery you can start PT within a few weeks and the hydrocodne works fine.

Although this is a Pain management forum, the majority of peolple here have chronic pain, meaning long lasting pain that can't or wasn't resolved by surgery, or sometimes made much worse by surgery. The odds for first time surgery are fairly good if there is something specific they intend to due. ie. If they see a disc bulge compressing a nerve which cause leg pain, once the bulge and compression is removed, this should relieve the leg pain, Just having the neuro pain relieved is a huge relief and it's simply a matter of rebuilding the muscles they cut through to get to the disc. There are also several different aproaches to disc surgery. Depending on where the bulge is, the wehow easy it is to access the sight.

You may be fortunate ebnough to have minimaly invasive surgery where they don't make large incisions and remove bone to get to the problem area. Micro discectomies or endoscopic surgery can be acomplished through tiny incisions just large enough to insert the tools, one is for light and camera to veiw the problem and another small incision for the tool to trim the bulge. Recovery time from this type of limited invasive surgery is days instead of weeks and you may not even need to step up the pain meds after a sucesful micro discectomy if the bulk of your pain was from the compressed nerve that's been relieved.

Trimming away the spinous process or cutting through the bone or lamina is called a laminnectomy/discecomy. The more invasive the surgery,the longer the recovery time. Percocet is still the standard post op take home med after a day or two of injectable or IV meds while you recover in the hospital. The goal of surgery is to relieve the pain and the folks that have successful surgery never end up at this site looking for a way to manage pain after a sucesful surgery. It's actualy a good thing they have something as simple as pecocet they can step up too for those first few weeks if you need it.

Every doc is diffent though and he may not dedcide what to send you home with untill the day of discharge based on how you are doing at the time of discharge. Ever surgery I had, they took me off IV meds and had me on orals before being discharged so they know what med was working and from there thay have their expectatuion of how long you need the stronger med and when to reduce the strength back down to something they can simply call a refill in when needed.

There are plenty of horror stories but those are the minority of outcomes. There is no reason at this point to think things won't go smoothly and you won't be back to your normal life in a matter of weeks or months and some basic PT to help strengthen and improve range of motion after surgery.
Good luck, Dave

Old 04-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #7
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User

Thanks everyone. I saw the surgeon today. He said I do need surgery ASAP (ACDF - single level). I asked for stronger meds, but instead of changing from Vicodin to something else, he wanted to put me on Prednisone. I refused since I am going to have the surgery in a week. He did say they give Percocet post-op take home. I hope that is sufficient.

Thanks for the input,
Lisa

Closed Thread