It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
(female)

Fibro-Mom HB User
Re: Fentanyl patch tips

Help! I am new here and haven't a clue how this thing works or even if I'm doing the right thing... so bare with me, please.
I am a severe chronic pain sufferer, who has tried numerous pain meds, without much relief. The one that I did find to treat my pain was the Duragesic patch. It was new on the market at the time and unfortunately, only lasted 48 hours, instead of the 72 that it was supposed to. So, my insurance co. deemed it too expensive and disallowed it. I have been on MS Contin (same dose) for about 2-1/2 years and as you can imagine, no longer receive the same benefits from it due to tolerance. My new PCP kind of "inherited" me when my wonderful other Doctor retired. We have a rock solid contract between us, which says that if I need any increase in my dose, I have to go to a pain clinic. This is the same "pain clinic" that I went to before and told me ibuprofen should take care of my pain. I have been compliant and very tolerant with this new PCP, as she's gotten to know me. I want to try to switch back to the Fentanyl now that they're gerneric and give my system a break from all of the MS Contin I've been taking... but, it's like talking to a wall! Any suggestions? By the way, glad to be here and I know I'll meet some compassionate folks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User
Re: I want to try to switch back to the Fentanyl now that they're generic.

Hi Fibro-Mom: Before you try the generic form of Duragesic, talk to your Dr about them, there has been some press on the problem of them not releasing the med in a continous amount of time. I tried the brand name for a while, because my insurance would pay for them, and my Dr said the generic form was getting some bad press.

I realize your problem with the price and the generic is unbelievably cheaper, but check around for some articles on this in your area. In CA there were quite a few complaints and problems with the generic. I don't know if there are several co's making the generic, but the info I got was from my Dr, so just check it out before you try them. Some of the patients on the generic said they noticed that they worked better at certain times and at others not at all, and sometimes it got real strong. If there is a problem with the release mechanism, I would check it out first. Hopefully it was only a temp prob that the manufacturer fixed. I don't know who the manufacturer was, sorry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
(male)

youngone00 HB User
Re: I want to try to switch back to the Fentanyl now that they're generic.

The generic by Sandoz is good, its actually made by the same factory that make the brand name. Its the Mylan that you want to stay away from. Good luck, I hope that either you current Dr will help you, or you find somebody who can. Its a shame what we have to go thru for releif. Good luck again!

Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBloom View Post
Hi Fibro-Mom: Before you try the generic form of Duragesic, talk to your Dr about them, there has been some press on the problem of them not releasing the med in a continous amount of time. I tried the brand name for a while, because my insurance would pay for them, and my Dr said the generic form was getting some bad press.

I realize your problem with the price and the generic is unbelievably cheaper, but check around for some articles on this in your area. In CA there were quite a few complaints and problems with the generic. I don't know if there are several co's making the generic, but the info I got was from my Dr, so just check it out before you try them. Some of the patients on the generic said they noticed that they worked better at certain times and at others not at all, and sometimes it got real strong. If there is a problem with the release mechanism, I would check it out first. Hopefully it was only a temp prob that the manufacturer fixed. I don't know who the manufacturer was, sorry.

Closed Thread