It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 12:22 AM   #1
(female)

Dusty Flowers HB User
hydro mallin vs watson

today when i picked up my hydrocodone 10/325, i saw that the pills were totally different. i have always had white pills with m367 but the ones i got today are yellow with watson 853 on them. i asked the pharmacist and she said they are from a different manufacturer but they are the same.

i do know that the white pills are mallinckrodt and the yellow pills are watson but is there a difference? i don't know if this is all in my head but i feel like these yellow pills aren't as strong as the white ones. i take hydrocodone for neuropathy pain in my feet and have been taking hydrocodone 10/325 for over a year so i can feel when the pills kick in with relief. i'm not feeling the same relief but again, it could be my imagination.

does anyone have any opinions on if one brand is a better pain reliever than the other? and i wonder why pharmacies switch brands in the first place?

Last edited by Dusty Flowers; 04-10-2007 at 08:43 AM.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Re: hydro mallin vs watson

Hi !! Mallincrodt (sometimes refered to on this site as Mallin-Crap) is an inferior manufacturer of many generic drugs. I say this because it has been proven that Mallincrodt uses less of the narcotic compound in their pills than other generic providers. I have always taken Methadone by Roxan. When I switched to a Mallincrodt brand one month I was having withdrawal symptoms!! By law a pharmaceutical (sp?) company can manufacture a drug using up to 20% LESS of the core drug and still be considered effective. If you are saying that you felt better on the Mallincrodt brand than I would have to say that you are an unusual patient!! But if that is the brand that works for you, then you should probably stick with it. All the best - KathyMac

PS: I think this is correct infor. If not, there are plenty of folks who will come along to let you know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
(male)

sheets HB User

kathy mac i agree wholeheartedly ,i to was switched to that type of generic methadone and wondered why im not feeling like i did with the other methadone that i used to get.im glad i read this cuz i didnt know companys were aloud to do that with the 20 percent less.what did you do to rectify the situation? i want to get the other stuff i used to but every pharmacy gives me that mellincrap.Do they even make the other kind? i used to take it by lilly years ago but that was long ago any help would be appreciated

Old 04-10-2007, 10:55 PM   #4
(female)

Nu2patch HB User

This is a great topic. I was wondering would we be able to request another kind of generic besides the mallincro if the pharmacy carries it?Like with the patch i always request sandoz instead of mylan. Does anyone know if this would b possible?

Old 04-11-2007, 05:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

I have told my pharmacist that I won't accept any brand except the Roxan brand of generic. If you are dealing with the same pharmacy every month you should have the ability to speak with the pharmacist and ask them to order another generic. Some chain pharmacies won't special order. The head office doesn't give the individual pharmacist a choice. There are certain pharmaceutical companies on their supply list and you can be stuck. That happened to me. Where I live, Maryland, there is a grocery store called Giant Foods. Their pharmacy is located inside the grocery store. I can get all my non-narcotic meds through them without a problem. But, they can't order generic methadone unless it's from Mallencordt. I have to use a hospital pharmacy for my methadone. I also take oxycodone 30 mg. tablets but can only get an acceptable generic through my local CVS. If I had signed a contract with my pain management clinic stating that I wouldn't get my drugs from only one pharmacy, I would have had a huge problem. I just can't get all my meds through one pharmacy! As far as Mallencordt having less of the active ingredient in their generics, you can go back and do a search on the board for all the posts about this fact. I was also shocked when I heard about it! But it's apparently very legal. Anyway, I hope I've explained things properly here. If I haven't, the smart folks on this site will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong All the best! KathyMac

Old 04-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hi Everybody: I pretty much agree with what's been said concerning the meds. I will absolutely not accept a script to be filled with Mallinckrodt products, especially my Methadone. There is a noticeable difference.

When I first went on Methadone, I told the Head Pharmacist, who does the ordering, I wanted my scripts filled with only Roxane Methadone. In the past four+ years, they have special ordered and kept them in stock for me when I come in with my script, they are able to fill the entire 540 pills. Sheets, when you were taking the med years before, you might have been dispensed the brand name for Meth, which is Dolophine.

Patch, I would talk with the Head Pharmacist, like I did, and request them to order in Sandoz for you. I use a chain pharmacy in a grocery store, and I don't have any trouble getting them to special order for me. Like I said before, I get 540 Methadone tabs a month and the Head Pharmacist said he always keeps 1,000 on hand, just in case someone else comes in just before or after me with a script for a large number, he would be able to fill it too.

KathMac, I was taking Oxycodone for breakthrough when I was on Oxycontin several years ago. I asked for and they ordered in 15 and 30 mg Roxicodones for me. They weren't normally stocking them at that time because they weren't getting any requests for them.

Dusty, I'm not sure why you aren't getting the relief from the Watson pills of Hydro. I was on them and I was thinking they were blue in color and they were 10 mg Watson's. I do remember getting some yellow ones a couple times too, but I'm not sure, as this was six or seven years ago. Same with the Hydrocodone though, I wouldn't take Mallinckrodt brand when I had a script filled.

If anyone has a problem getting your pharmacy to work with you in regards to your preferred med, there are other pharmacys around that will order what you want. Don't forget to notify you doc if you change pharmacys, especially if you have a contract with him.

Last edited by RetiredDirector; 04-11-2007 at 03:02 PM.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #7
(female)

Dusty Flowers HB User

thank you all for your posts. very interesting! now i wonder if i can tell a difference between the two brands for sure. it's amazing what the mind does!

Old 04-11-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

cpapp31 HB User

Oh My gosh!

I am so glad this subject came up. I am Rx'd Dilaudid for breakthrough pain. A couple of months ago I got stuck with the mallin-Crap and boy that was rough. I don't understand how they can get away with selling such garbage. I will NEVER get the Mallin-Crap again. In the past I have always gotten the Roxane and they work just as well as the name brand in my opinion.

Its good to know that others are having this same problem. For awhile there I thought I was losing my mind. The pharmacist said they were the same as far as ingredients, what hogwash!!

Take care,
Cpapp31

Old 04-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi Dusty Flowers, I've also been taking the Mallincrkrondt and my last prescription was from them as well. So far, I haven't been given the Watson hydro yet. But I see you suffer from Neuropathy which is nerve pain, I take for nerve pain associated with RSD. You're probably in the same position as me and know these conditions only get worse. When I first was diagnosed, I could get by taking maybe 2 a day. Now my condition has gotten worse and it takes at least 4 a day now. I feel for you because nerve pain don't never effect one area it just keeps spreading to other areas.

Last edited by rayefaye; 04-12-2007 at 01:54 PM.

Closed Thread