It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Re: Insurance wrote letter, now doctor wont write scripts

HOLY CUPCAKES!
This is rediculous...Im so glad that this thread go started though, because IM looking around for different insurance, and Ill steer clear of Cigna. But unfortunatley Im afraid big brother is watching us all and it wont be long before all of them are doing it

deleted: inappropriate

xoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by Administrator; 05-07-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: inappropriate political comment

Old 05-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #17
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

Man, oh Man!

Several people have mentioned it in various ways. I don't like the idea of "being watched". I guess I'm just paranoid.

Cpapp31, I live in Florida, too. The last time I looked (which was a while ago), we didn't have a Prescription Monitoring System--as I think they are called. AND...What makes this so weird for me is that I do everything "right". I use one doctor. I use the same pharmacy. I would rather lick the bottom of my shoe before going to the ER. NONETHELESS, THIS WHOLE THING IRRITATES ME. I know that I am just letting it worry me, but I get the feeling that it could lead to other things!!

I have very good insurance for the most part. My insurance company is Principal, and the Rx portion is always listed as "Advanced PCS" (through Principal, I assume). I'm not sure what that means exactly, but I pay $10 for a month's worth of generic medications. The only medicine I use that is not generic is Vytorin (for lipid stuff).

Again, the idea of this communication is bothersome. CPAPP31, THE IMMATURE PART OF ME WISHES YOU WOULD HAVE PLACED THAT RECEPTIONIST IN SERIOUS NEED OF HER OWN PAIN MANAGEMENT!! There is no reason for that behavior. If there was any problem, the office manager should have taken you back--before the receptionist made the scene--and asked you about the situation. After all, many of us have the innocent need to visit multiple doctors.

I'm not on a pain contract of any kind, but my pharmacist would eye me sort of funny if I walked in with too many opiate Rx's. Do you understand what I mean? Plus, my insurance would immediately let any pharmacy know about any OTHER pharmacy. When I had to get something filled while out-of-town (in a different state), the pharmacy questioned me about the medicines I just had filled prior to traveling. They said the Rx insurance cross-referrenced medications.

I'll say it one last time...I don't like the whole idea of the computerized big brother. I'll have to put a thicker amount of aluminum foil in my windows. That's what protects us, right? (I'm kidding, of course. If I'm not, please commit me.)

Finally, where on earth is letthatsinkin? I hope everything is OK with him! After all, we need an update.

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

P.S. IZZY'SMOM...I really hope that cup cakes are HOLY. That would give me a religious reason to ingest them in large quantities!

Last edited by conductor; 05-27-2007 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Adding P.S.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2007, 06:09 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hi jon...
I wanted to say Holy ****, but i would have gotten the boot!
And for you Cpapp I would have probably given that receptionist her own need for PAIN MGMNT...What a B*tch. and to think she works in a PM office. Hoe she gets a b*TT ache that doesnt ever go away. Ppl like that annoy me to no end.
xoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 05-27-2007, 06:46 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

DesertBloom HB UserDesertBloom HB User

Conductor: Florida may not be far behind on the PMP train. I live in CA, and even if you do everything right, you can have a very hard time finding someone to treat your legit pain. CA is testing the real time monitoring, to cut down on the fraud etc. but I know in the end the patients who need treatment will somehow be adversely affected. You can not find more than a couple of drs that will write rx's for narcotics, and if you find one it's limited to a month of treatment post op, at that point you are forced to find a pm, in an area where there weren't any until a year ago (where I live) we now have 2 drs for this with a population of over 100,000.

Here's some more on this from the DOJ

[url]http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/faq/rx_monitor.htm#2[/url]

Old 05-27-2007, 07:50 PM   #20
(female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

For Conductor (and anyone else who may be interested!)

"Advance PCS" is the name of a Pharmacy Benefit Management (PBM) company. Most medical insurance companies do not administer their own pharmacy benefit program. Instead, they hire a company that specializes in the provision of pharmacy benefits in a cost effective manner. Principal must be the name of the medical portion of your insurance, while Advance PCS is the name of the pharmacy portion. Other large PBM companies include: Express Scripts, Goldnet, Argus, Merck Medco, Med Impact, and many, many others. PBM's control the purse strings and collect all the data. In my opinion they are the "Big Brother" of the pharmacy world and to make things even scarier most consumers don't even know they exists. Anyone who uses their pharmacy benefit on a regular basis should learn a little more about these incredibly powerful organizations.
C4-5 ACDF 2006
C3-6 ACDF 2013
Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Old 05-27-2007, 07:56 PM   #21
Veteran
(male)

conductor HB User

Dear DesertBloom,

Yes...that Department of Justice site makes me so thankful for my doctor!! At some point, I have the feeling we will have to "organize". Isn't that a great thought? The people who are completely worn out from their physical pain problems need to find a way to make a full-fledged national organization to protect their supposed "rights" to have access to appropriate pain medication and treatment. These same people DO NOT HAVE THE ENERGY to even remotely mount such a task!

When I travelled to Estonia back in 1990, I had the need to see a physician. My college Concert Choir toured there, and I was in desperate need of pain medication for some severe headaches. ONLY BECAUSE I WAS WITH A "WELL-CONNECTED" GROUP OF PEOPLE, I was able to speak with a doctor. Fortunately, we had an interpreter. I think the word "morphine" has an international meaning. Truly, I didn't need anything that potent, but that was what they had available in pill form. Furthermore, I received an injection of morphine in my...hotel room. I bet that's not where you thought I received it.

Anyway...the interpreter was female, her 10-year-old daughter was female (as daughters tend to be), and the doctor was female. I'm serious when I tell you that I had to "drop my drawers" in front of them all--for the shot. I kept waiting for them to turn around or something, but they just awkwardly waited (actually, I was the awkward one) until I dropped what little I could in order to receive the injection. Fortunately, I didn't have to disrobe in order to receive the pills. Considering how I felt, though, I probably would have done nearly anything they requested. I was given approximately 30 morphine pills (at least that's what I was told they were). Honestly, I really enjoyed the next few days of concerts!

***I guess I should technically have a point. I'm not sure what the rules are over there, but I was NOT given the 3rd-degree by the physician who issued the medication. In fact, it didn't seem to bother her at all. I had to wait a little while for her to return with the medication--both the shot and the pills (in a bottle with a label I couldn't read at all). Plus, this did not cost me anything even though I offered to pay! TO SAY THE LEAST, I WAS EXTREMELY THANKFUL!

Take care...

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

P.S. Dear Laenini: Thank you for this important information. I will do some more research into this "big brother" type of industry. Thanks for providing this valuable information. Most of us probably don't have much of an understanding concerning the inner workings of this industry.

Last edited by conductor; 05-27-2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Add P.S.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:43 AM   #22
Inactive
(female)

cpapp31 HB User
Angry Re: Insurance wrote letter, now doctor wont write scripts

Hi Everyone!

This pain doctor and Cigna have NOT heard the last from me. I plan to report the pain doctor's office for violating my privacy by announcing in front of a full lobby. I have NEVER been that embarrassed before, I started crying and the other patients were giving me the HAIRY EYEBALL, like I was a criminal.

I am having surgery on Friday for bowel re-section, I may go to ER so they can control my pain and admit me so the surgeon can move up my procedure. I haven't eaten in days, so cleanse part should be easy.

Jon, I agree totally with you. I HATE having big brother looking at every move we make. I can understand weeding out the drug seekers, but this is ridiculous. If Cigna took the time to look at the dates of when my Rx's were filled they would have seen that I WASN"T getting meds from two doctors at the same time.

Take care

Old 05-31-2007, 08:16 AM   #23
(female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

Anyone who is having a problem with their insurance company interfering inappropriately with their patient/doctor/pharmacist relationship might try seeking help from the attorney general's office in their state. Really, the insurance company is basically trying to find a way to blame the patient so that they don't have to fulfil their contract and pay your medication bills anymore. To me that sounds like consumer fraud and I would try fighting it from that angle.
C4-5 ACDF 2006
C3-6 ACDF 2013
Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Old 05-31-2007, 03:48 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

So very true...And when they hear anything from the Attorney Generals, office they dont like it....
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 05-31-2007, 08:29 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

My pharmacist red flagged my scripts a while back.

My neurologist was out of town and when that happens my GP handles my MS attacks.So my GP wrote out 2 scripts one was for vicodin and the other tylenol 3's for pain.The 2 was wrote just in case the tyelenol 3's didn't take off the edge.Well the flair didn't end and I was admitted to the hospital under another DRs.care for 5 days. I was prescribed 100mgs of fentynal on discharged ,had it filled,it was to strong ,so my neuro called in 50 mgs fentynal had it filled.Still couldn't adjust to it,so neuro calls in oxycotin.

What saved my butt was after the pharmacist called me and inquired about all the pain med scripts.he gave me time to explain that the first 2 were by GP,one was filled by hospital on call DR and the other 2 by my neuro.

I did however had the pharmacist discard the unused fentynal patches,because I didn't want them in my house with the teenagers.

As ya all read this it would make someone think that I was DR shopping,it was just how the cards fell.

This same pharmacist questioned 2 other scripts,valium and ativan which was wrote by 2 different neuro's.But the valuim was for during the day and the ativan was for night.Now all my scripts go through my neuro.

I opted out of PM and signed a release to get out of there contract,as they wanted to control every aspect of all my meds including the ones for MS.

My pharmacist contacted my insurance carrier to let them know that I had returned the fentynal as Ohio is very strict and closely monitors all pain meds.

I never give any of this a thought until my pharmacist brought it to my attention.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:49 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

wow....Ive heard that even if you offer to turn in unused meds to a doc or pharmacist...they cannot take them as they were RXed to YOU...and its against the law...
Anyone have any other input?
xoxoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM...

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 05-31-2007 at 08:49 PM.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:59 PM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

Not in the state of Ohio,they'd rather have the pharmacist discard of these narcotics than have them in the wrong hands.

I have returned several unused meds back to the pharmacist for him to discard,they even discard my syringes when my sharp container is full.

Better the pharmacy to discard properly than to put them in the trash or flush.

When these meds are returned,if for allergic reaction,lack of tolorance,this is entered into the state wide computer and it doesn't look like a person is over medicated or abusing narcotics.

It protects me and my DRs.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:24 PM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

AI understand that....Ive never heard of that here...Of course id rahter have them in the hands of someone who could account for them, but I was told by a pharmacist here in my state, that they CANNOT take NOR can a doctor take back meds that have been prescribed to someone...s far as meds being ented back into the computer, it desnt happen here...

xoxooxx,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 05-31-2007 at 09:26 PM.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:32 PM   #29
Senior Veteran
(female)

The meds per say are not entered back into the computer.

What they are entering is that I had an intolerance to them and that I don't posses all these meds.

The DEA in OHIO are very strict and they watch who's prescribed what as far as narcotics.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:16 PM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Thanks for clarifying that for me~I understand what you meant...things are different everywhere I guess~
xoxoxoxxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Closed Thread