It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #31
Inactive
(female)

sandim HB User
Re: Insurance wrote letter, now doctor wont write scripts

Hi Everyone,
I'm from the back board but this topic really has my interest as well. I'll tell you a couple of my stories regarding pain meds and pharmacies.
I use a large , national retail pharmacy. I have been on the same dose of pain meds since my fusion surgery in March 2006. There has never been any problem or question about the doses or the scripts themselves. I never have refilled early or asked for more, any of the "flags" that the doctors and pharmacies look for.
Anyway, along comes a brand new pharmacist, just hired. I drop off my scripts as usual. I get them two days or so before I need them so they have time to get the meds in that they don't have in stock.
She calls my doctor's office and tells them that I am taking one too many times a day ( it is supposed to be a long acting 12 hour dosing med, but does not last that long for me, so I get it every 8 hours), and the Lyrica she has a problem with because I am at the maximum daily dosage, and the baclofen, she also has a problem with because ........???? We have no idea. The physician discusses the dosage timing with her, explaining that he has been prescribing the same dosage frequency for about 9 months after trying the 12 hour dosing and it not working as long for me, then she calls back and tells him that she has a problem with the high dosage of Lyrica and there should be something else he should put me on since I am taking such a high dosage, and then finally , she calls him a third time about the baclofen, and whatever her issue was with that.............sigh. Doctor's office calls me and asks me what her problem is. I call the pharmacy, get her on the phone and tell her that I have been filling the same prescriptions, from the same doctor, at the same time each month since 03/06 and that I want to know what her issue with it is........she can see on the computer that I am not getting meds from any other doctor, and that there are no early refills, etc.......she tells me on the phone that she will not fill the scripts! She is not "comfortable" filling them at the doses they are prescribed and do I know that the pain med is "highly addictive"? Of course I do you fool, but you can see that I am well regulated, don't take more than I am supposed to, am not "high" on the pain meds, am not getting scripts from anywhere else.......what is the problem?
Long story made shorter, I have to make sure she is not on duty when I drop off my scripts or they don't get filled. She held my last prescription for the breakthrough med for almost 3 weeks claiming that they didn't get it in
So, my husband had to take that one to the pharmacy for me, and drive to another town 25 miles from here to get it filled because the other pharmacy that takes our insurance did not have the capsules in stock and the script was written for that........
Luckily for me, my PM knows me well, knows that I do not abuse the meds, in fact, I resisted them for a long time, and he knows about the problems we have had with the pharmacy so he is not surprised when I tell him that we had to take them or one of them to another pharmacy to get it filled........it is such a pain too since the reason that I used that pharmacy is that it has a drive through which is much easier for me than trying to walk that far into the store/pharmacy, which is very difficult for me.
So, that's my story of pharmacies and headaches...........
Best of luck to you all.
Oh, and as far as getting multiple scripts from different doctor's goes for the original poster, most PM doctors either have you sign a contract that clearly states that any pain meds must come from them and them alone or if there is a clause that says if you go to another doctor/ER and recieve a script for meds, you must notify the PM's office by the next working day.......I have not had to sign a PM contract but I know that others have in my PM's office and it clearly states what the rules are for them to treat you.
Sandi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2007, 08:28 PM   #32
Inactive
(male)

letthatsinkin HB User

Last edited by letthatsinkin; 05-04-2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: .........

Old 06-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #33
(female)

tampatar HB User

This is a HIPPA violation and you can file it online - cannot remember URL but just goggle HIPPA
the DEA allows you in any state to take your left over medication to the prescribing doctor and they will dispose of it and put it in your medical file
This whole thing is disturbing - frequently in my area the pharmacies do not have my oxycontin strength in stock or not enough - they are carrying less amounts in the pharmacies due to fear of robberies (has happened twice in Tampa) so I have gone to as many as 4 pharmacies looking for my medication and been unabled to find it - I am sure Cigna is having a hissy fit over me - my husband suggested I call them but I am so sick of insurance companies digging in my business - and speaking of business none of them are losing money over anything - sorry if I offend anyone but I would like to be able to put a hex on those creeps Grins TT

Old 06-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #34
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandim View Post
Oh, and as far as getting multiple scripts from different doctor's goes for the original poster, most PM doctors either have you sign a contract that clearly states that any pain meds must come from them and them alone or if there is a clause that says if you go to another doctor/ER and recieve a script for meds, you must notify the PM's office by the next working day.......I have not had to sign a PM contract but I know that others have in my PM's office and it clearly states what the rules are for them to treat you.
Sandi

That's kind of my thought also. I am not sure it's a hippa violation - because the insurance company has access to all your appts and scripts.

I get all of my meds from one doc. I refuse all others.

I wish you luck - Can you sit with your regular doctor and explain everything so that he can maybe figure out that you're not an addict and that you need the meds?

Old 06-06-2007, 12:46 AM   #35
(female)

tampatar HB User

It becomes a HIPPA violation when you expose the info to a second party without written permission from the patient - I took a seminar on this and the privacy laws in some cases are almost impossible to keep - grins and good night to all TT
My regular doc knows all this and has even called the pharmacies about the problem - I have been seeing him for years - he says if it ever becomes a problem he will take care of it - he treats very few chronic pain patients since he will only treat those who developed their chronic pain while under his care (I developed breast cancer and herniated some discs in my back)

Last edited by tampatar; 06-06-2007 at 06:10 AM. Reason: addition

Old 06-06-2007, 06:12 AM   #36
(male)

Minladar HB User

I had this happen to me once and the way I was able to resolve it was to get a copy of my file from the dentist and take it to my doctor personaly and let him read it with me there in the office with him and offerd to let him speak to the dentist on the phone with me there. but yes pain medication for a temp dental problem shouldnt conflict with chronic pain medication treatment , many doctors understand that, also offer to sign a pain medication managment contract with the doctor specifing terms for his continued treatment. I would also ask the insurence co. for a copy of your file with them also but be nice about it. speak to your doctor that was treaing you for the chronic pain IN PERSON not by phone,messages or though letters and bring recoards.
hope this helps

Old 06-06-2007, 08:27 AM   #37
(female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

Letthatsinkin,

I second Minladar's advice. Gather up all your records and go speak to the doctor in person.I would request a printout too from the pharmacy so that the doctor can see what exactly you had filled and when it was filled.

Keep us posted and good luck!
C4-5 ACDF 2006
C3-6 ACDF 2013
Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Old 06-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #38
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampatar View Post
It becomes a HIPPA violation when you expose the info to a second party without written permission from the patient - I took a seminar on this and the privacy laws in some cases are almost impossible to keep - grins and good night to all TT
My regular doc knows all this and has even called the pharmacies about the problem - I have been seeing him for years - he says if it ever becomes a problem he will take care of it - he treats very few chronic pain patients since he will only treat those who developed their chronic pain while under his care (I developed breast cancer and herniated some discs in my back)
Isn't it just if the 2nd party is not a person treating you (a pharmacist treats you)?

Cause I know my doc called the pharmacist. As well as going to hubbys commanding officer, blah blah blah. (long story short-one visit he decided I'm an addict that needs rehab). I reported him and he did get busted for hippa violation. However I thought that was only due to going to hubby's commanding officer. So it was due to both?

Old 06-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #39
(female)

Laenini HB UserLaenini HB User

Health care professionals are allowed to share your health information with other health care professionals who are involved your care. Your pharmacist most certainly fits that description. Your health information can be shared under other situations without your consent. All health care providers must provide you with a notice of privacy practices upon request. Most people toss them out without a second glance but its really a doccument that is worth spending a few moments reading.
C4-5 ACDF 2006
C3-6 ACDF 2013
Chronic Myofaschial Pain Syndrome

Old 06-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #40
(female)

tampatar HB User

I am sorry my bad - the HIPPA violation comes with speaking to a second party without a need to know - your physician is able to speak to your pharmacy because they are involved in your direct care- your insurance company is not intitled to the specifics of your care as they are not involved in your care -
just say your are in your docs office and talk with him about the reasons for your depression - the insurance people are allowed to know you are depressed for payment but the fact your dog died is none of there business
sorry for confusion but that is how I understand that law = thanks to all because I would never have been able to live my life with peace and grace if not for the info I receive here Grins TT

Old 06-09-2007, 05:34 PM   #41
(female)

mentalvdt HB User
Red face Re: Insurance wrote letter, now doctor wont write scripts

Wow OK I just have to weigh in here. I just started with my pm about 5 months ago and reading this thread has me worried. When I first went to him I was on Norco taking 2 every 6. there where problems with it so he wanted to try someouther things. First it was Mscontin with norco for bt well that didn't work so went off those and onto perocet well that was no good so now back to norco but it has been cut down to 1 every 4 to 6. Which is a BIG step down. Every change I have taken the left over to the pharm for disposal. But with the step down I just wonder if I have been "flagged". Because all of the changing has been in about 3 months. Wow who would of known that some little pills would cause such a stink. I wounder if "big brother" monitors insulin in a diabetic like they do pain meds in a cp patient. In my opinion it is the same thing it is the medication that treats the illness that we have.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:42 PM   #42
Inactive
(male)

mudbone HB User

Yep it does stink that they (big brother) treats us so much differently than other types of patients, but thats just the nature of the beast. It sucks! Mud.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #43
Inactive
(male)

letthatsinkin HB User

This is so frustratingg.... I just don't know what to do

Old 06-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #44
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalvdt View Post
Wow OK I just have to weigh in here. I just started with my pm about 5 months ago and reading this thread has me worried. When I first went to him I was on Norco taking 2 every 6. there where problems with it so he wanted to try someouther things. First it was Mscontin with norco for bt well that didn't work so went off those and onto perocet well that was no good so now back to norco but it has been cut down to 1 every 4 to 6. Which is a BIG step down. Every change I have taken the left over to the pharm for disposal. But with the step down I just wonder if I have been "flagged". Because all of the changing has been in about 3 months. Wow who would of known that some little pills would cause such a stink. I wounder if "big brother" monitors insulin in a diabetic like they do pain meds in a cp patient. In my opinion it is the same thing it is the medication that treats the illness that we have.

I wouldn't worry too much if you're getting all meds from same doc and same pharmacy - especially if you're taking left over meds to pharmacist to dispose of.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #45
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Make sure if you take medications back to the pharmacy for disposal ( it's illegal for them to re-sell them) that you get a signed and dated receipt, listing everything you gave them.
The person that helps at the counter may not be a pharmacist, or they may just keep lousy records, this way, you have proof to show. Make copies and ask that they be put in your medical records.

HTH, Fabby

Closed Thread