HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Pain Management (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/)
-   -   Insurance wrote letter, now doctor wont write scripts (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/pain-management/501809-insurance-wrote-letter-now-doctor-wont-write-scripts.html)

letthatsinkin 05-23-2007 04:27 PM

Insurance wrote letter, now doctor wont write scripts

This post was inappropriately edited by letthatsinkin

RetiredDirector 05-24-2007 02:22 PM

Re: Insurance wrote letter, now doctor wont write scripts

One thing I haven't noticed in this thread is something that should be made known. Where I live (and I assume it's in other states too), doctors, pharmacists,and dentists have the ability to access a database that lists all your prescriptions, the doctor that wrote them, and the pharmacy where they were filled.

If that information is available to anyone who writes you a script, I would think the insurance company (right or wrong) has the right to notify the doctors involved.

I don't know, personally I think this somehow doesn't sound right to me. If others know about a common database and "sharing" of patients information, I would like to hear about it. I think our personal private information may not be so private as we would like to think. Anyone read George Orwell's "1984"?

ssmith1018 05-25-2007 07:32 AM

I am new to the whole pain management procedures. I have posted on the spinal board and the pain managment. I posted once about how mad I was that my pharmacist contacted my doctor saying I was receiving pain medication from 2 doctors. A prescription of darvacet that I received, made me sick, so I never took it. Then I was referred to a Neurosurgeon, who prescribed me loratab. No one knew the whole story but me & my neuro. Like I said, I'm new to all of this. I, never in a million years, would have thought that there is such a big deal about a few pills. I've been educated real quick!! I called my pharmacist and explained the whole thing to him. Since then I haven't had a problem. I never knew the extent of abuse that goes on with these pain pills. It makes it hard for people that really need them. I hope things work out for you.

Sue

conductor 05-26-2007 01:15 PM

Dear Letthatsinkin,

Just checkin' in since this can potentially affect us [B]all[/B][B]!![/B] Please promise to KEEP US UP-TO-DATE!

Sincerely,
Jon (Conductor)

IZZY'SMOM 05-26-2007 07:52 PM

I agree, pluse I want to see how you are doing! Hopefully ok...what is going on? ?did you find someone to help you?
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM:wave: :wave:

madhatter 05-26-2007 08:26 PM

Hi,sorry to hear your delema! Just wondering,did you sign a opiate contract? I had to,and when I went to the E.R in the past,I had to refuse pain med. because of the contract[which states-you cannot accept any opiates what soever from another doctor] maybe your insurance thought[if you didn't] you were under the contract,and broke it?

Fabrashamx 05-26-2007 09:28 PM

LOL is she not coming back?

IZZY'SMOM 05-26-2007 10:04 PM

Who, Fabbers?
xoxoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Fabrashamx 05-26-2007 11:11 PM

The OP, everyone has given advice and asked for updates, I hope she posts again, there were some great ideas shared in this thread!

Hugs, Fabby :wave:

Laenini 05-27-2007 04:29 AM

My health insurance is through Cigna and I was poking around on their web site this morning. I found a press release from just last week announcing a new, more intensive monitoring system of its members who use narcotic analgesics. While the example they gave of the type of patient they hope to catch with this new program of theirs was pretty extreme, the issue does concern me that by tightening their controls they may end up interfering in the care of legitimate patients.

Also, if Cigna is taking a look at this issue, I'm sure other major insurers are too. All the more reason to be careful! Only accept pain medications from the one provider who should be caring for your chronic pain condition. Also, pick one pharmacy and use only them. By consolidating your own care like that, you will be protecting yourself from unwarranted suspicions.

mudbone 05-27-2007 11:23 AM

Laenini, I read the same newsbreif as I have Cigna also. I can see it now, them notifying our employers of use of narcotics while on the job. I just forsee trouble ahead. I'm not sure if thats leagal for them to do that or not. But thanks to the guy that they referenced about abusing and the other abusers, crap like this is going to happen. Hope you have a nice weekend! Mud...;)

DesertBloom 05-27-2007 12:59 PM

Hi Madhatter: You brought up something interesting that really confuses me and I hope you can clarify. Before I ask you a question, I hope the OP comes back, I'm starting to worry what happened?

I see a pain mgt doc and I don't remember signing a opiate contract, but maybe I did; but are you saying, if I was in an accident and was sent to the ER, they couldn't give me pain meds? Or are you saying that if I went to the ER for pain (no recent injury or emergency surgery), and I asked them to write an rx they couldn't do that and I'm not suppose to ask either? How would the ER know I signed a contract?

I've never been to an ER, so hopefully I'll never have to get an rx there, but is that what your saying?

I've had several surgeries after starting with my pain mgt doc and of course the hospital gave me pain meds post op. Obviously this is new to me:eek:

dub1 05-27-2007 02:05 PM

Desertbloom,
I signed a contract with my pm and to my understanding i am not allowed to ask or receive scripts from other doctors. I believe the ER would be different if you were receiving meds as an inpatient care situation. I think the contract states something more to the effect that you will only seek treatment for your pain from your pain doc. For instance you can't go to your primary and ask for additional meds for pain. I hope this somewhat answers your question. After my surgery i did receive minimal meds from the hospital to take home but before i filled them i called the doc to ask....If a person is honest and upfront with the doc everything will be fine. Another situation i had was that i got refered to a different pain clinic for a discogram and when i was about to leave they were going to write me a script for pain but i had the responsibility to tell them that i was under contract with my other doctor.

cpapp31 05-27-2007 02:16 PM

OMG, this just happened to me this week with Cigna.

I will try and make this short. In January my PCP decided to take over my pain meds. I was with a pain doctor for over 8 years.

Anyway, my PCP wanted to change me to Avinza, well the conversion was WAY off and I went into withdrawals, I guess this scared her and she wanted me back in pain management ASAP.

I went to my appointment with my pain doctor. After signing in, the receptionist announced in front of a full lobby of patients and said "You have been dissmissed from this practice". I was so mortified and embarassed, I started to cry. The office manager took me in the back room to explain what happened. Apparently, CIGNA wrote a letter to pain doctor telling him I was getting my meds from PCP. No big deal, that was true. But, I WAS NOT getting meds from both doctors at the same time.

I am so upset now, because I need to be back in Pain Management and feel like I will be "blacklisted". Does that happen? I live in Florida and I have never been this scared before. Am I going to have a hard time now trying to get pain doctor??? I feel Cigna invaded my privacy!!! I can understand if I was getting meds from different doctors at the same time but, this is ridiculous.

I am now past due for refill on my Duragesic and going through withdrawals because of this crap. My PCP agreed to Rx a 30 day supply until I get into a new pain doctor but, its a holiday weekend and I am so screwed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Take care,
Cpapp31

DesertBloom 05-27-2007 02:40 PM

Hi dub1: Thanks for the explanation. I can see that you couldn't get meds from more than 1 dr. but I thought the op was suggesting that you couldn't get meds inpatient either!!

I had surgery twice while seeing my pm, and when they offered post op meds for home, I told them I didn't need them, because I didn't. Anyway, I hope I never have any probs like some of the others.

Hi cpapp: I hope you get this straightened out, it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. Maybe if you got your claims papers showing the dates of the rx's it would help to have proof in black and white. I know my insurance has a web page where you can print all of your claims with the pharmacy, dr, date, rx, etc on it. Maybe that would help. Sorry I don't know more about how all this works.

Thanks for the info dub and good luck cpapp and the original poster (sorry forgot your name).:wave: