It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User
Lightbulb Difference in nite and day w/patch

hi everyone....
it seems like so many different people on the board since back when i was on it alot
A month ago i was rx'd Mylan fentanyl patch, well i could tell a mild difference and needed less norco, but it surely did not feel like a super duper (is that a word ) med....I went for my appt yesterday, and instead of increasing the dose she changed me to brand name to see if there was a difference...Oh my goodness, to ME it seems like a completely different strength, i am on day two of the brand name and i am just blown away by the difference...but now for the downside, my insurance charged 5 dollars for the generic, and i was shocked at the 189 dollars for the brand..i know for sure i wont be able to afford that ( i am in a divorce process, and take care of my mom who had a aneurysm last year, so i have no job and after the divorce no insurance)...I can definitely say for me there is a huge differnce in this med between generic and brand....how can two of the same meds, be so drastically different??? Now i am not sure what to do, i cant pay for that again, and the mylan generic was not near as good as the brand...
its discouraging to think that there can be such a vast difference in a med and call it equal... I have been a spinal wreck for many years and i am in my mid 30's, i have been on many meds with no real "control"..i feel like a different person these past two days and only took one norco yesterday and today... which is much better than clock watching for the next dose....
so now what should i do next month? The generic was not even similar ( with my body chemistry) and i sure cant afford this, even worse when i lose my insurance... Nobody wants to insure me after 6 spine surgeries and no real end or resolution insight...
anyway,that was my opinion on the "brand vs. generic".
hi to everyone i use to chat with and hi to everyone that are "new" to me...
shelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2007, 12:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Re: Difference in nite and day w/patch

Hi there!
Im on the 50's and started with the Mylans but switched to the SANDOZ[still generic] brand and got the SAME relief i had woth the name brand...Give it shot, and read up on the posts about the Sandoz...Youll be glad you did....Same generic price, but MAJOR difference...
Hope this helps~ ps...most pharmacies carry them or will order them for you~there are TONS of patch users who have switched to the Sandoz brand and have gotten the same relief as the duragesic! They are mor affordable than the duragesic and work the same! Good luck!!!
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 06-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User

I completely agree with Izzy'smom. The generic Sandolz patch is as good as the brand. I get mine at CVS. Try it and I am sure you will be very happy. The delivery is very smooth. The Mylan brand was too much up and down for me. Six hours after putting it on, I was high as a kite and then towards day 1 1/2 -2 days, I began to start going through withdrawals I am so happy that I switched to Sandolz. Good luck and let us know how you feel.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
(female)

tampatar HB User

Sandoz all the way for pain relief and mood consistancy - the patches have been so helpful to me - been through two bouts of breast cancer, 3 lumbar herniations, and more surgery than I can count and the patches are the least intrusive on my life Grins TT

Old 06-08-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
(female)

Nu2patch HB User

Hi there,
I just wanted to say that im another Sandoz supporter lol! Please let us know what u decide to do!

Nu2patch

Old 06-08-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

I'm on my second month of the Sandoz brand of the 100 mgh patch and I'm getting very good coverage. This month I ordered the bioclusive coverings to keep my patches sticking for the 2 days that I wear them before changing them. When I called the company they said that they won't supply these coverings for folks who are on the Sandoz generic, only their Duragesic brand-name patch even though it's the same company that manufacture both of them. But, I found a place online where I could order them. They are by Johnson & Johnson and I would recommend them to folks who are constantly having to re-apply their patch when it falls off. The overlays aren't cheap, but it sure is better than running out of patches early because 2 or 3 of them wouldn't stick during the month. Another vote for Sandoz!! KathyMac

Old 06-08-2007, 11:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Thanks everyone for your replies
i did order the overlays by duragesic, or J&J, they were free since they are the name brand....but this is the only month for name brand due to cost... So do ya'll (thats my texan come out in me) think the sandoz will be like the brand??? i mean the mylan vs. brand is so different, and if the sandoz is the same as brand then i will start looking for a pharmacy that carries that and not mylan...when i talked to the people today that make the brand i told her about the difference between that and the mylan and she said to call the mylan company and tell them that there seemed to be such a difference..she said after so many logged calls they should relook at their product....oh who knows...atleast right now i will have a better month..
I am suppose to change my patch in the a.m and it still seems to have product in it, should i hold off until it looks more empty, or just change it anyways???? I appreciate any responses...I will say the mylan stuck better, but thats about all , in my opinion...although the mylan was only 5 bucks and that was better too... Is the sandoz considered generic, in the same way? if so then that should be 5 bucks too, right????
I dont know what i will do when insurance is no longer for me...after years of up and down and even trying the spinal stimulator (which after the trial, they did not put in perm. because it made me worse in other areas) i have finally found a bit of relief without so many mood changes.
thanks again and i hope to chat with and learn more about everyone who has since joined since my departure in 2005..
shelley

Old 06-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hi again Shelley - the Sandoz is considered a generic drug just like the Mylan brand. I put on my patch yesterday and for the first time put the J&J occlusive bandage overtop of it. It is sticking terrifically!! I also like the fact that it is a clear/see through covering. It doesn't draw as much attention to the patch, especially because I wear my patch on my upper arm. I find that the patch stays put there. By the way....I picked up my scripts yesterday and kept the little bag that has the prices on it. I'm one of the very, very lucky ones who has 2 great prescription insurances. The total for 15 of the 100mcg Sandoz pathces was $899.36 at a local grocery store/pharmacy. I paid $0.00 for it because of my great insurance. My oxycodone 30mg. tablets made by ETHEX cost $182.55 for 120 tablets. Again, I paid nothing for it. I only wish that I could sponsor half the people on this board who do without meds because they have no insurance!! It seems so unfair. I can afford to pay something toward my medications, so I often feel very guilty about paying zero for them. Good luck with the patches. I know that I'm feeling much better with them. KathyMac

Closed Thread