It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
(female)

rooroolachoo HB User
Angry typical hydrocodone dosage? (vicodin)

I have extreme heel pain and I am waiting on an implant surgery for it. I have always suffered through the pain. I have scheduled my surgery for the end of June, and my doctor gave me hydrocodone to take until I have the procedure done. He gave me one tab by mouth every 4 hours if needed for pain. It says 500-5mg tab. I took two this afternoon (at one time) and no relief. I am 200 lb female. Would it hurt to take 3 at one time? My doc is out of town of course... ugh. I have been living with the pain for years, so I guess a few weeks more won't hurt me. But if I don't *have* to deal with the pain, I would like to get rid of it. I am miserable.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
(female)

prplhaise HB User
Re: typical hydrocodone dosage? (vicodin)

I have a cousin who had a double implant...she wishes shed never done it !...Shes tried everything and everything makes her so sick...Shes now on lortab 10/325....several times a day....they make her really sick so she bites one in half , eats a peppermint and eats the other half.....Lortab 5/500 arent very strong at all..Well really depends I the person , I suppose , but if you are having a heel implant OUCH !....Maybe your doc isnt giving you anything stronger because your surgery is coming up ? ..

Oh and I didnt mean anything ill abt my cousin wishing she hadnt had the surgery...Just shes SO miserable and its been 7 years...actually she had them taken out and then replaced with a diffrent type of "plastic" ? ( whatever the plate was made of) then she has to wear really funky looking shoes.....She was a waitress "forecer " as she puts it and walking on the hard floors for 20 plus years did something to the bone...

I really wish you luck as I KNOW , from watching her, what youre going thru and are coming up against...

What caused you to have this , if you dont mind me asking

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Never take more medication than prescribed. As chronic pain patients we have to adhere to this strictly to reduce tolerance and possibility of addiction and abusing our meds. It sounds like this med is not strong enough for you. I would strongly suggest percocet, as it is a pretty good step up from the Lortab. Call your doctor and explain that it is not helping your pain. Do not increase your dose, or take more than prescribed. You are asking for trouble by doing that, and if your doc found out, you would probably be out on your behind.

By the way, please watch your tylenol intake. Taking three at a time would be 1500mgs of tylenol. That is 500mgs over the maximum dose at one time. 4000mgs is the MAX perday, and I would stay below that if possible. Watch out for other meds that contain tylenol so you do not overdose accidently and hurt your kidneys or liver. I hope the doctor finds a good alternative for you, and that your pain is better soon!

Old 06-09-2007, 05:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

By the way, these meds before surgery will increase your tolerance to opiates. VERY IMPORTANT that the anesthesiologist knows how much and for how long you have been taking narcotics. They may have to increase your dose of pain meds after surgery to make sure you get proper pain relief.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

72575 HB User

Everyone is different. Being larger or smaller has a big impact on how the meds affact you. So does metabolism but in a different way.

Some people will pass out and be loopy after just 1 pill. Others won't. I have an incredible tolerance to any substance and 5-10mg wouldn't have cut it for me when I was starting, either. In fact, I take 40mg of percocet at a time now. That's 8 of the 5mg pills at once. That's a lot by medical standards but just my reality. One man's 5mg that works is another man's 40mg that works. Whatever it takes I guess.

In your case, I would suggest upping your dosage by 1 pill until it works. I am not a doctor so take what I say with that in mind, ok? Try 3 pills next time and see how that works for you.

Keep in mind the tylenol intake as well. You're allowed 4g a day, or 4,000mg. That is just 8 pills if you're taking the 5/500. Anything over that can cause liver damage. Many addicts, like me, take well over 10,000mg a day and it is really messing up our livers. That much could prove fatal for you though, since you're new to this, so keep that in mind as well.

Also, keep track of how much meds you have and when you get them refilled. If you're taking more than you're supposed to, you will run out early and be left without anything to take until you get another refil. Withdrawals are hell. Doctors won't give early refils 99% of the time, either.

Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

Butrfligirl28 is right! Never take more med. than prescribed! You mentioned your taking 5\500,and your 200lbs. That is a low dose[just my opinion] But it is very common practice for a doc. to give the lowest for whatever reason.If you go ahead and take more than is directed,your going to run out early.Since your doc. is not available,there must be someone from his[her] practice filling in.I would suggest you call and find out,or talk to his nurse,explaining your not getting pain relief,and you didn't want to take more than what is directed without talking to someone from hte practice.Goodluck! Mad.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

mudbone HB User

Do yourself a favor, never take more than prescribed. Once your doc finds out, you will have that label as a non-conforming patient and will be harder for you in the future. Just wait until you can talk to him and let him up your dose. Mud.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:41 PM   #8
(female)

rooroolachoo HB User

Thanks. I didn't and won't up my intake this weekend. I am just living through the pain. It sucks, but it is life.

For the person that asked how I got this way-
I was born flat footed, but my parents never took me to figure out what was wrong. I have always had a lot of pain, but it is now just getting worse. (as I approach 30 years old I guess) I can live with the pain through monday, that is for sure. I have dealt with it this long, I for sure can deal with it for a few more days.

Thanks again!

Old 06-15-2007, 02:07 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

koc66 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooroolachoo View Post
I have extreme heel pain and I am waiting on an implant surgery for it. I have always suffered through the pain. I have scheduled my surgery for the end of June, and my doctor gave me hydrocodone to take until I have the procedure done. He gave me one tab by mouth every 4 hours if needed for pain. It says 500-5mg tab. I took two this afternoon (at one time) and no relief. I am 200 lb female. Would it hurt to take 3 at one time? My doc is out of town of course... ugh. I have been living with the pain for years, so I guess a few weeks more won't hurt me. But if I don't *have* to deal with the pain, I would like to get rid of it. I am miserable.
That is a small dose for weight. I weigh 170 and I take 7.5/500 4 to 6 times a day and at my worst pain before surgery I took 7.5/500x 3 pills every 3 to 4 hours..but of course this was indeed by doctors orders and under his supervision...Best5 of luck

Closed Thread