It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #1
(female)

dri1023 HB User
needle like pain why

hi, i have needle like pain sensations in my hands. what could this be?
feels like someone is touching me with several needles
please reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2007, 10:33 PM   #2
(female)

were2alike HB User
Re: needle like pain why

hi! sometimes i get the same feeling in my hand from just holding my phone in my hand. it could be a number of things , like poor circulation or just simple hand fallen asleep not sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

The feelings you describe could be something like peripheral neuropothy (outlying nerve endings). We all have nerves that branch out from your spinal cord to all different parts of your body. I know that it can be caused by lots of things, but usually it's due to something pressing on a nerve or a disease process like diabetes. It can cause tingling and numbness and, for me, a deep pain in my thighs (both thighs) but complete numbness on the surface of the skin. There are treatments for neuropothy like nerve pain drugs such as Lyrica, Topomax, Neurontin, etc. Also, if it's being caused by a pinched nerve or by trauma like a broken bone or bulging disc, surgery can help. Chances are that if your hand is feeling needles and pins that you have a pinched nerve somewhere near the top of your arm or around your cervical spine. Have you had any xrays done or MRI's to allow a doc to look at the structures in your neck and back? That might be a good first step. Good luck! KathyMac

Old 06-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

_swank_ HB User

It's likely caused by a pinched nerve somewhere. Which nerve depends on which fingers are involved. There are two major nerves that run into the hand.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sealover HB Usersealover HB User

Definitely make an appointment with a doctor that specializes in hands.

I also get some weird slight numbness nowadays when I hold the phone to my ear...I'm always having to switch hands. Plus, I try to limit the time I spend typing because that aggravates the problem.

Could it be that you have carpal tunnel? The hand surgeon can test you for this. You'll likely have an EMG/NCV test done. The doc may take x-rays, too.

Best wishes. Hope you find answers soon.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

_swank_ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealover View Post
Definitely make an appointment with a doctor that specializes in hands.
Best wishes. Hope you find answers soon.
Keep in mind that not all nerve problems that effect the hand actually originate in the hand. Nerves can get pinched anywhere from the spine to the wrist. I had Cubital Tunnel Syndrome, which effects the pinky and ring finger, and it was caused by a pinched ulnar nerve in my elbow. An EMG test can pinpoint the exact location.

Closed Thread