It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
(female)

Johnathansmomma HB User
Newbie- need to know what to expect

Hi all
I am so glad to have found this board. I am a 29 year mom of three. I had L5-S1 fusion done on June 7 2006, so just over a year ago. I was released from the surgeons office in August of 2006. Since then my Primary doc has been handling my meds, well long story short he had me on Loretab 7.5x6 per day, somax4 per day, Valuimx4 a day, and Lyrica 150mgx2 per day- within a week of starting the lyrica and valuim I was incoherent and I don't remember a huge chunk of my life, I had a miscarriage due to the lyrica. I have been begging to be sent to a PM doc for the last 6 months, my doc would not do it, well after this episode where I ended up in the er with a blood pressure of 195/105 and was totally incoherent and couldn't tell you who was my husband, or my kids names - upon becoming coherent I insisted on a referal to a PM doc, that was month ago. I have appointment on Wednesday and I have no clue what to expect- the PM has all my records as they were mailed to him by my other doc. I am scared spitless of getting sick again, and I am even more concerned that it all got out of control- I never took more than prescribed or asked for early refills, and according to blood work at the ER my med levels were inline with what I was prescribed or lower in the case of some. They say it was the lyrica mixed with valium or that I could be allergic to the class of drug that lyrica is in. I have been off ALL meds since May 23 and am in severe pain, so I know I need this appt, but am scared of what to expect. BTW the back injury that led to the surgery was 7 years ago and it took 6 years to get a surgeon to actually look for what was wrong, I had a discogram in April of 2006, I have had numerous epidural injections the last one leaving my right leg unusable with no feeling until several months after my surgery. I am in no hurry to try that again. Any info you guys could give as to what to ask or in a way of what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

Jaime

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Re: Newbie- need to know what to expect

Hi Jaime,

Welcome to the pain management boards! I'm sorry for your pain, It sounds like you have really been put through the wringer.

I wouldnt worry if I were you, I think the PM doctor will be able to help you quite a lot, hopefully he has had your records for long enough to read through them and have some idea where to go from here.

Your appointment is tomorrow? I would make a list of any questions you have, sometimes we get in there, and forget 1/2 of what we wanted to say, lol.

Please come back and post again after your appointment and let us know how it went, I will be sending good thoughts your way.

Your Friend, Fabby

Old 06-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: Newbie- need to know what to expect

Jaime,

I agree with Fabby. I think pain management is exactly what you need. I am so very sorry about the miscarriage. What a horrible thing to go through. The ER visit sounds like I living nightmare! Just make sure that the pain doctor will prescribe meds as well as do procedures. Know that the procedures can cost a TON of money. Always make sure your insurance will cover the procedures your doctor may order. Please write down all of your questions and concerns like Fabby said, and let us know how it goes! Best of luck to you!!

Your Friend,

Amanda

Old 06-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
(female)

Johnathansmomma HB User
Thumbs down Re: Newbie- need to know what to expect

Just wanted to update

I had my appt. yesterday, but I know nothing more today than two weeks ago. This doc said he wanted a new MRI since mine was a year old. He will not prescribe or do anything until we get the results of it. My husband is concerned because this doc has now left me sitting in pain, with a signed med contract so there is no hope of any help for at least a week now. The doc wants to do injections again, depending on what the MRI shows. I don't know anymore, I had such a bad experience with the injections last time that I am not sure I can do it again.

Who knows, I will update when I get the MRI results

Jaime

Closed Thread