It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

lexusdog HB User
Percocet Headaches

Anyone else feel like they have a head cold or a dull type pain in their head when they take percs. It usually starts to happen after I take a few doses in a row every four hours. Usually by the second or third dose, I start to feel a dull head pain. Sorta like a bad head cold or jsut a dull sensation. I take 20 mg / 650 per dose.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Re: Percocet Headaches

Hi Lex,
Welcome to the pain boards! Yep. I have had this exact same thing happen with percocet. It happens to me with morphine, also.

I take an advil or an asprin, and it works on the headache, while I was in the hospital on a morphine pump, they thought I was insane asking for an aspirin, LOL they were like 'um, did you know you were on morphine?'. but they finally gave me one.

No idea why, if I had to guess I would say its because it depresses resperations, so you breath less and get the same kind of headache that happens if you fall asleep with your head under the blankets.

Maybe someone else knows why, all I can say for sure is that youre not alone.

Your Friend, Fabby

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2007, 04:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I get this when I take 2 at a time. Fab, the idea of taking a aspirin with it is excellent. Like duh, why didn't I think of it??

Old 07-21-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Many years ago when I was taking Percocet regularly I did experience what I called "rebound headaches". I would take the Percocet for my lower back pain and it would really help me sleep. Then, when I woke up after a nap I would have this nagging headache which seemed to be in the frontal lobe of my brain. Continued use of the Percocet finally took care of that pesky side effect for me. Good luck - KathyMac

Old 07-21-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I also experience this, but with oxycontin, the long-acting form of percocet with no tylenol. They did get better after a while, but it makes sense that we have headaches, as they say that when you take an over the counter med regularly, like the tylenol in some pain drugs, you can get rebound headaches. Not sure why the oxy though. I guess it's a side effect of the oxycodone.

Hope everyone's head feels better soon!

Amanda

Old 07-22-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

lexusdog HB User

I will try the Aspirin idea and see if that works. I hate that feel of the dull headache.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:09 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

lexusdog HB User

The aspirin seemed to help a little.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
(female)

Tripletmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusdog View Post
The aspirin seemed to help a little.

I have found that Excedrin, or that kind of combo med (tylenol, aspirin, caffieine) works wonders for me...I think it is really the caffieine that helps...you do have to worry if you take too many of these as well, as with any meds, you can have side effects/rebounds...

Good day to all~

Old 08-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hi Lex,

I am like Fabby. I get that headache to. I will get it after a shot of morphine as well. Other narcotics have done the same thing to me.

It is like having a constant hangover sometime or a constant migrane of various magnitudes.

I have used cold wash cloths on my face and neck and sometimes ice on the back of my neck.

I have even taken a wet towel and put it in the freezer for a while...just so it is a bit stiff and then wraped it around my head.

The worst for me is after a surgery and they have dumped tuns of narcotic pain meds in me and the anesthesia does not help either I get the worst headache that I have ever had and it happens every time I have a surgery. It is terrrible.
Hang in there and if it becomes to bothersome tell your doc.
Chrissy

Old 08-05-2007, 07:38 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

These are common side efects of most opiates although morphine tends to increase inner cranial presure more than some of the synthitics, as far as feeling like you have a cold or stuffines, this is another normal reaction to opiates called a hystamine reaction.

Stuffy nose and headaches are probably the most common side efects of opiates, because they are normal sensations we don't always atribute them to the med we take. Benedryl works well for the stuffy nose and innability to sleep from opiates. Aspirin , especialy with caffeine helps with the headaches as aspirin/caffeine both cause vascular dilation and reduce the inner cranial pressure caused by opiates.

Rebound is something specific to migraines, If you didn't have a headache to begin with, getting a headache after taking a med isn't rebound in the sense it's used to describe a specific reaction when meds to treat headaches wear off and the headache comes back even worse.

Just side effects, Good luck, Dave

Old 03-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
(female)

cherylal HB User

I was prescribed Percocet for severe ear infection, I began taking them as noted. Then at the end of the day I got a pounding headache! Pounding!
I had to lay down and then i got paniky. It was not a pleasent experience at all. I was crying. Now I haven't taken the pain meds all day and my ear is cranking!!! What should I do? The ER won't phone any other pain med in. Is there a way around the side effect. I don't think I can take that head ache again. Thanks. Sweet Cheryl~

Old 03-31-2009, 11:04 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

bullymom HB Userbullymom HB User

Cheryl, if you don't have ear tubes in place, see if your doc can call in some ear drops for the pain. These are wonderful for ear pain and you may not even need the perc's. Things should get much better as your antibiotic kicks in. Good luck
Bullymom

Old 03-31-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
(female)

puppybreath HB User

I'm also suffering from oxycodone headaches, only occasionally tho. I'm comforted to know I'm not alone. I usually get them in the middle of the night. They remind me of the headaches I used to get with bad hangovers when I drank.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #14
(male)

JohnC77 HB User

I have started having the same headaches and found that drinking a lot of water helps prevent and lesson my headaches.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

kelsey1 HB Userkelsey1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline View Post
These are common side efects of most opiates although morphine tends to increase inner cranial presure more than some of the synthitics, as far as feeling like you have a cold or stuffines, this is another normal reaction to opiates called a hystamine reaction.

Stuffy nose and headaches are probably the most common side efects of opiates, because they are normal sensations we don't always atribute them to the med we take. Benedryl works well for the stuffy nose and innability to sleep from opiates. Aspirin , especialy with caffeine helps with the headaches as aspirin/caffeine both cause vascular dilation and reduce the inner cranial pressure caused by opiates.

Rebound is something specific to migraines, If you didn't have a headache to begin with, getting a headache after taking a med isn't rebound in the sense it's used to describe a specific reaction when meds to treat headaches wear off and the headache comes back even worse.

Hey
I have been on oxycondone 30mg for a long while. There have been times where my headaches are everyday all day long.I was getting a headache everyday for about 2 weeks , But about a week ago I started to take benadryl about 1-2 hours after i wake up,and i am not getting the headaches anymore. I have been taking benadryl off and on for along time so the first dose doesnt make me sleepy,but the second dose about 6 hours later does make me sleepy,but i dont care i cant function with these headaches they are soooo bad. I found out about 3 months ago i have ALOT of allegies but i dont want to go get shots 3 times a week. I wish they would give them to me , i have been to college to be a rn. i know how to give a shot.
kelsey
Just side effects, Good luck, Dave

Closed Thread