It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 02:53 PM   #1
(female)

cgulec HB User
Question Re: oxycodone 50% stronger than hydrocodone?

Does the condition being treated have any relevance to the answer to this question? I have bone spurs, arthritis, scar tissue and 2 bulging discs impinging L4-L5 (sciatic) nerve root and L5 -S1. I take 80 mg of methadone (I have never been a drug abuser in my life!) it works beautifully, and vic 7.5 three times daily. I asked my doctor if oxycodone would work better than the vic, he said no. Is he telling me this because he does not want to give them to me or is he telling the truth from a nerve damage point of view?

I also have a spat with a friend of mine, please help

Last edited by cgulec; 07-23-2007 at 02:55 PM.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Re: oxycodone 50% stronger than hydrocodone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgulec View Post
Does the condition being treated have any relevance to the answer to this question? I have bone spurs, arthritis, scar tissue and 2 bulging discs impinging L4-L5 (sciatic) nerve root and L5 -S1. I take 80 mg of methadone (I have never been a drug abuser in my life!) it works beautifully, and vic 7.5 three times daily. I asked my doctor if oxycodone would work better than the vic, he said no. Is he telling me this because he does not want to give them to me or is he telling the truth from a nerve damage point of view?

I also have a spat with a friend of mine, please help
I hope you get this, I was on vic. 7.5 and just switched to oxycodone, 10mg, I get longer relief from the oxy (but that is me), vic. was at the point it lasted about 3 to 4 hrs, could take every 5 hrs. The oxy is for every 6hrs. so far lasting almost the full time, depending on what I do that day. I don't know if that will continue, i have been told after taking anything for a certain amount of time It does not work as well, scary. With vic. I was up to 3 times a day, so far the oxy. I have only taken 2 aday. I asked to try a certain med. to, which is less potent then oxy, and was told no. I wonder if docs. just don't like the patient to request this line of meds. Like you I have never abused drugs and can't wait to get off them all, even told doc. I was not happy about taking the Oxy. hope this helps, Sammy Ps. Don't know why you had spat with your friend, but I had reaction from family about taking pain meds, then I tried to take very little, the pain was terrible, all of a sudden everyone was saying you should be taking your pain pills as prescribed. funny they just lectured me on how I should not be taking them!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 07:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fabrashamx HB User
Re: oxycodone vs hydrocodone?

Oxycodone is quite a bit stronger than hydrocodone, which is whats in lortab, norco, and vicodin.
Some doctors dont like prescibing it, I dont know why, my old doctor used to switch my Lortabs with Percocet during bad months, But the new guy says no way.
I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong (Dave help lol) but narcotic pain meds are on whats called a morphine standard, everything compared to morphine in strength, codiene is on the bottom, then hydrocodone, then oxycodone, but I believe oxycodone is actually stronger than morphine.
Morphine btw is not the strongest, that would be fentanyl.
I dont know why some doctor balk at one opiate med over another, Of course I can see strength wise why they would want you on the lowest effective med, but prescribing methadone and then balking at percocet to me is like saying, you can have mashed potatos, but dont you even think about having a baked potato, lol.
If you only need the breakthrough med on the 3rd day of the patch, have you mentioned him maybe letting you change patches at 48 hours instead? that might help more than stronger breakthrough meds would.
Good luck to you and please let us know what happens.
~Fabby

Closed Thread