It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2007, 03:25 AM   #1
(female)

charpo HB User
Charlie Horses

I have been waking up with a charlie horse in my left calf for the last three nights. They are so severe and my muscles tighten and twitch. What can be the cause of these? I am taking a generic cipro and a steroid for a sinus infection. Can this cause it?

Old 08-01-2007, 05:36 AM   #2
(male)

whitfield HB User
Re: Charlie Horses

Quote:
Originally Posted by charpo View Post
I have been waking up with a charlie horse in my left calf for the last three nights. They are so severe and my muscles tighten and twitch. What can be the cause of these? I am taking a generic cipro and a steroid for a sinus infection. Can this cause it?
Sounds like a lack of quinine--My elderly mother was having them every night, so I told doc and he said quinine--so, I went to health food store and with the supplements, they sell 2 types of leg cramp herbal meds and I bought both. Now, when my mom gets a cramp, she takes one and it goes away within 10 minutes--good luck--
Whitfield

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
(female)

charpo HB User

Is that a vitamin or something like that?

Old 08-01-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
(male)

whitfield HB User

No--I think it is a type of electrolyte (Like they have in Gatorade)--But what works best for my mother is a supplement made by "Hyland's"--you can find at CVS or Health Food stores--On the bottle it says "Leg Cramps with quinine"--we also used tonic water which helps some because it has quinine. These Hyland's pills are small and it says to dissolve under your tongue when you get the leg cramps (charlie horse"--they work in 5 minutes or less according to mom.

Last edited by HBMod07; 08-01-2007 at 01:01 PM.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Charpo-
Low levels of potassium can also cause this. During my pregnancy it happened quite often and was so, SO painful. My doctor told me to start eating 2 bananas before bed, and also try and eat a couple bananas during the day as the potassium in them would help. I was skeptical, but I love bananas, so I tried it. It worked for me.

Try it out, and let me know how it goes. Good luck!

Old 08-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
(female)

charpo HB User

Even during the day I can still feel the pain from it. It even seems to be going around my knee also. I didn't know if any of the meds I was taking caused this or what, but your right, it is the worst pain I ever experienced. I think child birth wasn't even that bad!!! It feels like its gonna burst or something. I'm dreading going to sleep tonight. I don't have bananas, but I did take a magnesium tablet tonight, hopefully it will give me some comfort.

Thanks for everyone's reply

Old 08-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
(male)

nick89 HB User

the cipro is causing the pain. cipro, avelox, levaquin are the most common prescribed fluoroquinolone antibiotics and all of them should only be prescribed in life and death circumstances. they all have hundreds of side effects. and side effects are common. . they work like chemotherapeeutic drugs not like antibiotics. steroids and fluroquinolone drugs like cipro are not suppose to be taking together as it increaces side effects. i am now in a wheelchair after taking avelox a year ago. i have nerve damage, torn tendons, wide spread muscle pain, which has left me as a cripple at the age of 20. my skin has been disfigured from sjs/phototoxicity burns. vision loss, hearing loss, tremors, depression,anxiety, heart problems,etc. the list of damage these drugs can cause are endless and doctors are unaware of the damage they do. hundreds of thousands of people are suffering and many dont even know it. get off of them immediately theres much safer drugs available.

Last edited by nick89; 08-01-2007 at 10:19 PM.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:17 AM   #8
(female)

charpo HB User

Are you sure about all of that? Why did they combine the steroid and cipro for me? I didn't take the cipro yesterday, but did take it again this morning. I'm finished with the steroid medication. They gave me the cipro because i tried biaxin, augmentum and neither got rid of my sinus infection. Now I wish I didn't take it today. Is it really like a chemo type antibiotic?

Thanks for your input. I'm calling them today to get something else. I'm already on the 6th day of it though. Sorry to hear about all the terrible side effects it gave you. Did you get all your symptoms right from the beginning of your treatment with it?

Old 08-02-2007, 04:21 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the one time i was on cipro after my knee surgery,i felt horrid leg achyness that really did not go away til i was finally off that crap.cipro is a very very strong med,with alot of pretty significant side effects,moreso than the average anti B.i just wanted to mention some other possibilities here tho.magnesium and potassium when depleted, can cause some really ugly spasms.my son ended up with both being depleted at one time or another during liver failure with the cramping from low potassium and horrid muscle contortions when the mag was too low.did the cramping start about the time you went onto the cipro or was this already going on?you could just have some simple bloodwork done to see where your mag and pot are at at this point.you never know.anything is possible.just some suggestions.i hope this goes away soon for you,Marcia

Old 08-02-2007, 04:38 AM   #10
(female)

charpo HB User

It has started since taking the cipro. I had it once in a great while before, maybe once every 3 to 6 months and only once. The thing that i don't understand is it states not to take magnesium or calcium with cipro. Do you know anything about why that is? I keep trying to search that, but can't find the right answer. I am to be taking this for 14 days and have 7 days left. I feel fine (with my sinuses) and don't see why 7 to 10 days isn't long enough to be on this. I don't know whether to stop or what. My doctor was going to take me off of it and put my on biaxin. I took that early with this infection and I couldn't bear the nasty nasty nasty taste I got with it. I don't what to do now.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:01 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the no mag thing is actually becasue it wont absorb well.there are alot of medications that just don't absorb real well when calcium or magnesium is also present in the stomach,f i remember right neurontin is also one.i had a heck of a time becasue i normally cannot tolerate any type of anti B,they just cause me ten days of burning non stop stomach hell whenever i have had to take them in the past.i usually will get a pennicillin shot instead,but with this type of possible infection they thought i could have the only thing that would work was something like cipro so i had no choice.i was going to take it with mylanta gel caps(mag based) but when i mentioned this to the PA,she went a bit crazy on me and told me no way can i take that with cipro,so we settled on zantac instead,that helped alot.you can actually take mag based products while on cipro but it has to be like a couple hours after the dose or something?you could just call your pharmacy too.they would know.hopefully you can get off of it soon.some levels of infection just call for longer duration with certain anti Bs just to be certain that it is gone.i wouldn't just stop this unless you actually consult with your doc or you may end up having to start that whole 14 days all over again.i know it sucks but you may have to just stick it out if you want that infection really gone ya know?i really do feel for you.good luck charpo,marcia

Old 08-02-2007, 07:37 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

I've experienced leg cramping (pretty severe) as well as cardiac symptoms from low levels of potasium. I don't know if you are taking any sort of diaretic (water pill) like Lasix, but that can lower your potasium level as well as other metabolics. A quick way to get some potassium is to eat a couple of bananas. Memere (Kathy)

Old 08-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #13
(male)

nick89 HB User

side effects to fluroquinolone antibiotics like cipro can occur weeks or months after treatment. i had minor problems till 10 days after i took my last pill. thats when i tore my acl and achilles tendon. not to mention several more severe side effects, that popped up through the months.theres lots of information out there and tons of victims too. best of luck.

Last edited by nick89; 08-02-2007 at 09:21 PM.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:52 PM   #14
(female)

charpo HB User

I quit taking the cipro. I was on it for 10 days and I thinks that's enough for the infection. I've been on antibiotics for almost 2 months because of a sinus infection that wouldn't go away. I'm feeling fine with the sinus infection and according to cipro web site, the usual time being on it is 3 to 14 days. I can't stand any more side effects

Old 08-05-2007, 07:37 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

charpo,just an FYI here for ya.if you did indeed stop the cipro,tell your doc,and also tell him why you stopped.he just needs to know that.i hope the crappy stuff goes away for you now that the cipro is stopped.please keep us posted as to how things are going.Marcia

Closed Thread