It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
(female)

thenextwcvictim HB User
Question First Appointment With Wc Doctor Tomorrow! Need Help Quick!!

Hello. I have seen so many helpful posts for everyone else, I thought I'd give it a try myself. I'll try to make it short. I fell at work on Friday. I landed on my knee, however, while that pain has ceased a bit since Friday, my lower back has significantly increased in pain for what I believe was trying to catch myself. I contacted my employer and they are sending me to "their" workers comp doctor tomorrow. I have heard so many horror stories. I am worried. I am truly in pain and I am a call center rep so sitting for 8 hours is out of the question for me. I have heard that there are right things and wrong things to say to this doctor. I will certainly be honest and tell he/she that I have had minor lower back problems in the past, but never any surgery, nor has it incapacitated me to the point where I couldn't sit. Now, I can't sit for more than 20 minutes or so at a time, some times a little longer. I can walk fine for a while, but need to sit as the pain gets worse. I have a really hard time standing in one spot and not moving. But all in all, is there anything you can tell me to do or not to do with this initial appointment tomorrow? To add insult to injury, they have since terminated my employment (for other reasons they claim) so I have to look for a job in the middle of all of this. I have been in the call center business for over 13 years, and if there is one thing I know it's that no one wants to hire someone that cannot sit at their desk and do their job as instructed. There are numbers to meet in call centers and you get in trouble for being away from your desk for too long. I have to be able to move around when I have to. It took me getting up twice just to type this e-mail. But, considering it's not what they would probably consider chronic, life threatening pain, is there anything that would help me plead my case. Answering phones is all I know. I have no degree but a lot of experience. But, once again, I cannot sit for any specific period of time now. These doctors are out to get me as I have read. Please help. Should my pain always rate a 10 when asked even if it's just a close 8? I can't lose my salary. I'm scared to death. Any suggestions on dealing with these doctors would be appreciated. Also, I considered contacting an attorney immediately since I was terminated too. Should I do that right away and have an attorney on my side from the start? Thanks in advance for anyone who took the time to read this or respond. My appointment is tomorrow.. Please wish me luck!!
Signed,
thenextwcvictim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
Re: First Appointment With Wc Doctor Tomorrow! Need Help Quick!!

Hello there,

I have been on WC for 3 years and I am just about done.

In the phone book in there is a place under attorneys that says________Attorneys for injued workers. Fill in the blank with your state.

They will send you a packet of what your leagal rights are. Did you fill out an accident report at your work? This is important.

Why did they terminate you? Did you say that in your post or did I miss it.
In the state that I am in if they terminate you and then you find out they filled your position they can get in trouble. They have to have exclued the position. I think! Can't remember. My work terminated me but not untill 9 months later when it was clear I would never be able to return to that working environment. Every state is different.

As far as everything medical goes I have always been completely and totally honest with everything.
I have learned that sometimes you have to be your own advocate and make sure that they stay on top of your care and it does not take them forever to get you to see the docs you need to see.

It was hard to deal with all the red tape stuff but in the end I got what I needed. I have had 4 surgeries on my arm and it will never be the arm it once was and I will always have nerve damage and chronic pain. That is just the way it goes.

Please find out what your rights are in your state as an injured worker.
If a doctor says that you can not work at this time workers comp should be paying you. I would call your WC adjuster to ask about your payments!!!
Hang in there...
As far as the pain goes I jope that the docs will help with that and figure out what the source is...Chrissy

Old 08-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #3
(female)

thenextwcvictim HB User

Thank you so much for the information. I was terminated for what they said was not meeting their quality requirements. And, the next problem is: now that they know that I have filed an injury report, they may fight my unemployment. Workers comp will probably not pay my salary since I'm technically not employed by them now. I'll keep you updated and once again, thanks for the advice.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Hey there Next,

Did you file the accident report while you were still employed by them?
If so they have no choice but for there WC insurance to cover it. I think that is how it works. I am so sorry that you are dealing with this...it doesn't help when you are already in pain and not doing well.
If you are able to see a WC appointed doc then they should already be covering you.
You need to find out why they are not paying you!!!
I never had to collect unemployment. When the doctors said I could not work anymore they WC had to start paying me.
Is this the first doc you have seen?
Why did they send you to PM before any other docs or am I not understanding you correctly.
I do have to say that when I went to PM after my 3rd surgery I still had some problems and the PM doc was good at getting me to see other Docs to find out what the source was.
With my workers comp carrier at some point, about the last year, they put a workers comp nurse case manager on my case. She was really great because she went to appointments with me and woould get things pushed through the system fast.
I don't know why she was not on from the begining.
I hope that you will get some answers and the PM doc will help get other testing and info to find out the real source of you r pain.

Chrissy

Old 08-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

55steel HB User

I believe Pennsylvania is an "employment at will" state which means they can fire you for any reason or no reason with a few exceptions. If they have documentation to back up their claims then it's an even worse situation. Keep in mind also, that you can't collect unemployment if you are unable to work.

As far as the WC doctor goes, tell the truth. It would be irresponsible for anyone to tell you otherwise. If you have insurance through your company you're better off using that to get whatever treatment you need. The sooner you can find another job the better off you'll be. Instead of focusing on ways to beat the WC doctors you should focus on ways to get better.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
(male)

Donorpanc HB User

Work comp only pays up to 2/3rds your normal rate. What ever you do don't lie about anything. They will want to prove your problems. This will try your patience. Just do as they say and you'll get through it. They will bombard you with tests. But they have too, to prove your problems. Back problems usually show with tests, weather disc, or arthritis, or degeneration. Once they prove you have issues, then they will be more apt. to help. Whatever happens, you will not get your full pay. They have a right to terminate your employment due to medical conditions. That's what workcomp is for. They take care of it. Welcome to our wonderful Medical system!

Old 08-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
(female)

thenextwcvictim HB User

Thanks for your response. I'm certainly not looking for a way to beat anyone. I just know for a fact from being in the health care business that these panel of doctors are paid by WC to tell you that your injuries are worse. I would love to focus on getting another job, however, should I be honest and explain to a potential employer that I am qualified for a particular job but cannot sit for more than 20 minutes at a time and I will have to get up and move around at will? That's my fear at this time. Who is going to pay my salary.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

55steel HB User

If your job requires that you sit all day then yes, you need to tell any potential employer. It's not like they won't figure it out anyway. But what job, even a call center job, doesn't allow you to stand up? I work on a computer all day but my employer couldn't really care less if I do it standing, sitting or laying on the floor as long as my work gets done. All you need is a wireless headset if you're always on the phone. It's a pretty easy fix. Don't keep looking for excuses for why you can't work. Find ways that you can.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

you need to get a lawyer. look in your yellow pages for one that is close and convienant to you. they usually don't charge for the first consultaion. You need to know what YOUR rights and are people on the pain boards can' really tell you or advice you what to do as each state has dirrerent rules, so please do the smart thing and at least call and plead your case with a W/C attorney. this is what they do and they will know what your rights ae better than the folks on the healthboards. Also its not wise to fib about your pain levels. tell the truth. if your pain is at a 6, than tell them that. saying your pain is at a 10 when its not, is not using good judgement and it will get you in trouble.

Also call center work is pretty easy to find, you shouldn't have a big issue finding another job as doing phone work in that capacity is not a speicalty field but its good you have so much experience and were at your job for 13 years says a lot about your work ethic being so good. good luck, keep us posted and I am sorry you got hurt...

SS

Old 08-02-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
(female)

thenextwcvictim HB User

55Steel -- I can certainly sense your attitude toward me through your posts. You do not know enough about me to insinuate that I am trying to beat a WC doctor, or that I am looking for an excuse not to work. This was a general question where I was asking for advice. I am well aware that I can stand up and answer the phone, especially if they provide you with a keyboard that stands up with you. And, our company did not have wireless capability so that was not an option. I would appreciate it if you would not post any more on my original posting as I'm looking for advice on an injury, not a lecture or anyone telling me I don't want to work. I have gotten some very nice responses from some very nice people so far. And what you are insinuating could not be further from the truth.

Last edited by thenextwcvictim; 08-02-2007 at 03:05 PM.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

55steel HB User

I'm not insinuating anything. You are reading too much into my posts. Your very first post asks whether you should lie to the WC doctors. So what else should one conclude from that? Not everyone is out to get you, including WC doctors.

Most modern phones have a plug-in for a headset so you can buy your own. They aren't expensive.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Hi Again Next,

I know workers comp is very hard to deal with. I am still doing it after 3 years.

Yes it is Complicated!
No it is not pleasant!

I know that you can do it becasue I have come before you to tell you that no matter how complicated it gets no matter how hard it seems to continue getting out of bed or doing daily activities because of your pain and your emoitions....you can do it!

I was always very honest from the start. They even know that I am a reecovering addict!! Big deal I got nothing to hide.

I know that you are scared and not out to beat anyone or lie to anyone.
This is your life and lively-hood we are talking about.

It has been my experience, and I said this in an earlier post, that you sometimes have to be your own advocate and keep on top of things.

They will send you for the testing and it is a process that takes a while.
Hang in there hun.....
we will be here to support you on your journey...
You will be ok.....I know how scarey it is at first.
And yes it is not as much money when you collect wc but it only came out to about $100 less a month for me.
It was not much and I have had to get family to help on an occasion but I learned to make it work.
Hang in....if you have any other questions please ask
Let us know how your appointment goes.........sending an angel to you..
Chrissy

Last edited by skych; 08-02-2007 at 05:48 PM.

Closed Thread